The Future

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Everett Wade

The Future

Post by Everett Wade »

What are you guys thoughts on this album? I don't like it very much, I do like the song "Anthem" alot, one of the brighter sounding songs on the disc. It's very dark, seems to represent the future at face value, and doesn't flinch... however, that makes the light moments of the album seem all the more light in contrast to the dark. I don't like the raspiness of his voice like he does on the title track, but I think that was exactly what he wanted, and what was needed for the song. So I think the album turned out how Leonard wanted it to, and it accomplishes what he aimed at. I just don't like it as much as say, TNS. One thing I found interesting was the straightforward statements against abortion... a good point. Not everyone can live how they want to... wills conflict. Two people can want the same thing, and they can't both have it. If you give someone a choice of aborting a baby, then you are taking away the babie's choice. But if not, you seem to be taking away the woman's choice. So which is right? I'll leave that unanswered as I'm sure it would be a heated subject, but the point is interesting. Things are much more complicated than they appear at first glance in real life.
"When they said REPENT REPENT
I wonder what they meant."
Ev
linmag

Post by linmag »

I like the album 'The Future'. I like the grim humour in the title track, Democracy and Waiting for the Miracle. Anthem may be more melodic than some of the other tracks, but it's still a pretty grim world view. That we are only able to apprehend the possibility of perfection through its absence. Or maybe that's just my warped take on it. And the 'dove' whatever you take that to represent being forever fought over, bought and sold. Not the most cheerful of prospects. I also like Leonard's version of Always. The complete opposite to the smooth 'easy listening' way it's usually done. I don't see the album as any darker than, say, Songs of Love and Hate, and I have to agree with Leonard, that from here the future looks a pretty bleak place.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Everett Wade

I agree...

Post by Everett Wade »

I agree, all of it is a pretty grim world view... but isn't any world view taken by a realist grim? Songs of Love and Hate certainly is dark... but more in a personal way(or so it seemed to me.)
Never heard "Always" done by anyone else... but then again, I'm a youngin' at 16 haha.
Ev
linmag

Post by linmag »

You've missed nothing by not hearing 'Always' done by anyone else, Ev. I thoroughly disliked it until I heard Leonard's version. Yes, the focus of TNS and Songs of Love and Hate is different. At risk of making a sweeping generalisation, I think this reflects a shift in LC's own focus over time from his own personal problems to those of the world at large, with an increasing emphasis on a spiritual quest. One of the things that appeals to me most about Cohen's work is its realism, especially in dealing with the problems of relationships, and always with the saving grace of his humour.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
George.Wright

The Future

Post by George.Wright »

I've seen the future, baby it is murder
A strange and thought inspired album, very dark and glum
much in contrast to Songs of Love and Hate, which seemed to attack the songwriter more
The Future blasted everyone
even the U.S.
and the message was "It's Closing Time", when the metaphoric curtain will come down and fall.
However containing much of a very inspired if sarcastic Cohen, reaching towards the calling of Baldie as a refuge.
Georges.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Good points, Georges....the only part I really question is the " 'even' the U.S." [which seems to suggest that it should somehow be exempt]....I think it's particularly the U.S. and for good reason.

Lizzytysh
George.Wright

The Future

Post by George.Wright »

I highlighted the U.S. for that reason, thanks for the vibes, Liz
Georges
Anne

The Future

Post by Anne »

The Future contains some of Cohen's best work. It is an angry dark album, but has some of the most amazing lines. His voice is so beautiful when ravaged. It is passionate and thought provoking music.
George.Wright

To Anne

Post by George.Wright »

Well put Anne, very nicely said!!!!
Georges
Aisling

Straight Forward Comment?

Post by Aisling »

I don't know that he was making a straight forward comment against ::or:: for abortion, I think he was just making a comment. I was discussing this earlier, actually, and just thought I'd post here as well.
peter danielsen

Abortion in cohens work

Post by peter danielsen »

It seems clear to me that in many of Cohens song there is a clear protest against abortion. We find it in The Future: "destroy another fetus now, we dont like children anyhow, I´ve seen the future brother IT IS MURDER." We find it in No diamonds ind the mine :"Some very clever docter, yes the revolutions pride, he trained a hundred women just to kill an unborn child". And perhaps in Story Of Isac :"You who built these alters know to sacrafice these children, you must not do it anymore!"
But i believe the protest for cohen is not so much against abortion, but against that we tend to live our lives on behalf of others. In that respect "abortion" is something which is done by humen beings everyday, when we make someone weak so that we can be strong.
lightning

Post by lightning »

He also said " I need you to carry my children in and I need you to kill a child," in "You Know who I Am". Like many writers and like most of us he has different opinions on the subject at different times.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I've always taken those kinds of paradoxical lines to be ways of expressing the extremes and ambivalences we all carry within us.....of urges and impulses, of expectations, of conflicting emotions and behaviours.....as well as the extreme expectations we tend to place on those we love. I also agree that we feel differently on the same subject at different times, depending on circumstances, etc.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Perhaps when he needs you to kill the child it's OK. But if you or others need to have the abortion, it's not OK especially if it's his. Many men think like that.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're so right on that, Lightning. The whole issue suddenly becomes quite subjective and personal.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”