Live Songs 1973

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
LisaLCFan

Re: Live Songs 1973

Postby LisaLCFan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi John,

In the Canadian edition of Energy of Slaves, it provides ISBN numbers for both paperback and "hardback" (on the copyright page). I do not know if that means hardcover in the normal sense (cloth with a paper sleeve), or if it was one of those paper-back type books with the thick cardboard cover.

I purchased all of Cohen's pre-Stranger Music books second-hand, so I have no idea what may have been available originally for the other books (although I vaguely recall photos in the 2010 tour book of numerous harcover editions of Leonard's books, perhaps from his personal collection? That may provide an answer to your question).

Cheers,
Lisa
phillip

Postby phillip » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks for that info and enlightening me I have The Energy of slaves as I have all Leonards books & albums but my Energy of slaves copy has a different photo!
Maarten wrote:Hi,
Ira Nadel, page 189-191:
...After the birth of his son, Cohen's relationship with Suzanne became problematic...[°Sept 18 1972 - Maarten]
...For help, he left Montreal and went to California to visit the Zen master Roshi at Mt Baldy... It was winter and there was snow in the mountains... Cohen lasted a few weeks... then drove back to Los Angeles and called Suzanne. The two of them went to Acapulco, and their experience appears in the poem that begins "O darling (as we used to say)" in The Energy Of Slaves:
Even as we lie here in Acapulco
not quite in each others' arms
several young monks walk single-file
through the snow on Mount Baldy
shivering and farting in the moonlight:
there are passages in their meditation
that treat our love and wish us well
In Acapulco, a photo of Cohen with his Buddhist haircut, taken in a hotel bathroom, shows him glaring at the viewer, one hand holding a cigar, the other looped in a belt. The picture first appeared as an uncaptioned, rear jacket photo on The Energy Of Slaves (1972) and was later used as the cover for his 1973 album Live Songs...
Remark: Adam was born in Sept 72 and mr Cohen went to Mt Baldy for a few weeks after Adam's birth (winter 1972). He then went back to LA and traveled to Acapulco with Suzanne where she (?) took the picture and Cohen wrote the above poem... So that must have been late 1972 (Nov?). Is it possible to have this photograph on the back of -and that poem included in- The Energy Of Slaves, which was published in 1972? I don't know the exact publication date, but it must have been (very) late 1972 then...
Cover of The Energy Of Slaves, with the pic: http://leonardcohenfiles.com/lcbook8.html

Maarten
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:33 pm

My Energy has the same photo used on cover of Live Songs, yes.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”