Most Frequently Listened Album

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Steven

Most Frequently Listened Album

Postby Steven » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:16 am

Hi,

In the last six months, which Leonard Cohen album have you listened to the most? Why so?
Goldin

Re: Most Frequently Listened Album

Postby Goldin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:45 am

Hi,

According to my Last.fm profile, it's his debut album. Master Song hypnotised me.
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
musicmania

Postby musicmania » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:19 pm

In the past year I've mainly listened to a download of the final concert from LV and Songs From The Road and then every now and then I'd just randomly pick one of the older albums depending on the mood I was in at any given time but I guess if it was over the time I first started listening to Leonard it would be a tie between his debut album and Various Positions. At this moment in time though Old Ideas is on repeat.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:15 pm

I listen to the studio albums a lot (and the live albums, both official and not), but since I've had an iPod, I am no longer a purist, and I frequently listen to them all in shuffle mode, so I never know what song is going to come next, nor from what album. So, I guess my answer to this question would be: all of them!
Stamatina

Postby Stamatina » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:40 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:I listen to the studio albums a lot (and the live albums, both official and not), but since I've had an iPod, I am no longer a purist, and I frequently listen to them all in shuffle mode, so I never know what song is going to come next, nor from what album. So, I guess my answer to this question would be: all of them!
same here [with an mp3 player].

the feeling I've got though is that in the last ONE month, the album I've listened to the most is Songs From The Road (might be because it was given to me as a Christmas gift :razz: )
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
friscogrl

Postby friscogrl » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:52 pm

I would say the two that I go back to the most are Songs of Leonard Cohen and I'm Your Man. I think some of
His most beautifully poetic songs are on the first album, two of them being Suzanne and The Sisters of Mercy.
Master Song is also one of my favorites.
And if anyone ever had any doubts of his genius I'm Your Man defininetly
Takes of that. Except for Jazz Police, which is gradually growing on me over time,every song is a
Standout. Who else could write two such different songs as First We Take Manhattan and then Take this Waltz
And just knock you out with both of them?!

Marsha
Last edited by friscogrl on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:26 am

I bought every Leonard studio album at the time of its release (from "Songs From a Room" onwards) and listened to each album intensely over maybe a two month period. The two that I recall listening to most were "The Future" and "Recent Songs" . The least played was "Dear Heather" ("Ten New Songs" didn't get such a long run either). I haven't played the live albums too often, but the one that I got totally into was "Live Songs", which I treated almost as a studio album. Leonard's music is so ingrained in me, that I actually don't play it too often. I also give it long periods of rest, as I've done recently. In general, I much prefer going to live concerts to listening to albums, these days. However, I'm looking forward to buying and hearing "Old Ideas" with great anticipation.
B4real

Postby B4real » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:19 am

Generally I prefer listening to the old live concerts because they are all individual happenings - a lot of conversation and inpromptu songs.
There's another thread for you Steven :)

But if I had to pick an official album it would be Field Commander Cohen (live 1979 tour) because it has so many great songs and I love Raffi Hakopian's violin on it.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
TineDoes

Postby TineDoes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:48 am

B4real wrote:But if I had to pick an official album it would be Field Commander Cohen (live 1979 tour) because it has so many great songs and I love Raffi Hakopian's violin on it.
Bev, I Love this album also. Usually take ik with me when I'm driving. The violin is beautiful on it.
Like you for a long time, I listening to his live albums, especially since in 2008 the live concerts started, but just lately I have returned to the studio albums. There are so many beautiful songs that he hardly ever or never aired in his concerts. i.e. Alexandra leaving. The studio album I most recently, until yesterday :) listened to over and over was Ten New Songs. And before that Recent Songs. But like LisaLCfan I use shuffle mode also.
It just occured to me that the first song on the new album, Going Home, seems like the reverse of Back on Boogie street.
Tineke
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
Steven

Postby Steven » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi Bev,

The reason you brought up for another possible thread is among the reasons that prompted me to start this
one. :) "Cohen Live" (1994) has long been one of my favorites. It's the most frequently played
album for me over the last six months. Like everything about it -- the songs, performances, the order of the
songs. Was wondering how much of a minority I'm in with enjoying this album to the extent I do. Got me
questioning if it is still available for people to purchase, and if maybe a reason I don't see it cited much here, if
at all, is that perhaps many newer Cohen listeners just don't have it. My least favorite song (not that anyone asked)
on the album is "Heart With No Companion." Not that I don't like it, but am not enamored with it.
With the live performances, Bev, we get a more unfiltered Leonard Cohen. Studio magic (with entirely in-studio
creations) gives cleaner, more controlled recordings, but truer to Leonard Cohen the artist? We'd probably both agree
not, at least not generally.
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi Steven,

You are not alone in loving Cohen Live. When I'm not shuffling my LC collection, Cohen Live is one I listen to frequently (it is still available in Canada). I agree that there are some wonderful performances on that album, and a really great selection of songs, too.

I do not always suffle my LC collection, and when I do listen to whole albums, in addition to Cohen Live, like friscogrl, Songs of LC and I'm Your Man are the two I listen to most (so many great songs on the debut, and I'm Your Man is my first love!). Songs of Love and Hate probably follows, and then all the rest. There are a few bootlegs that I love as well. I listen to Leonard almost constantly, so all of his albums get played a lot.

This past week, Old Ideas has been the big winner, I've listened to it at least a dozen times. It will be one that I continue to play very frequently, I am sure!

Lisa
B4real

Postby B4real » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:51 am

Hi again Steven,

You are so right! In ALL you say. And Cohen Live is such a great album and totally compliments the earlier FCC one. You can still buy it here in Australia. I know it quickly became a favourite as well when I first bought it and will always remain so. There is just something about a live performance. It can never be orchestrated entirely and you are right in saying "unfiltered LC" - I love that aspect about him. Sometimes even he didn't know what was going to escape from his lips!....in the earlier concerts that is.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Steven

Postby Steven » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:31 am

Hi Bev,

Fully agree with you, except on being right in all that I say. :) ;-)
Steven

Postby Steven » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:45 am

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the reply. Will be purchasing Old Ideas at a local store this Tuesday. This will probably be
the most frequently listened to album for me over the next 1-6 months.
Ultraviolet

Postby Ultraviolet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:16 pm

I have just restart listen to Leonard Cohen, so I have not listen to him much the last six months, but I will the next six months!
But I think in the end it will be Songs of Leonard Cohen, I simple LOVE that album!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”