Absence of study on Cohen

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
madhu

Absence of study on Cohen

Post by madhu »

There are lot of books available on contemporary western music. I think its a grave issue to be discussed among the Cohen fans. I don't think the music of Cohen is simply a subject matter of enjoyment. Its a type of music meant for brain as well as heart. The process will help us to enjoy his music from a very different angle.
Last edited by madhu on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Absence of study on Cohen

Post by jarkko »

Have a look at the bibliography: www.leonardcohenfiles.com/bookind.html
Quite many of these books do discuss his music seriously!
I don't have exact information, but during the years some say 20 PhD dissertations exploring his music/lyrics/writing have been made in a number of countries.
You will also find a lot of interesting threads on this Forum, discussing some specific issues.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Jonnie Falafel

Re: Absence of study on Cohen

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

Yes, I met a woman at the Manchester concerts a few years ago who had completed a dissertation on "Recent Songs". Leonarad signed a vinyl copy of the album for her. I bet if you went through university archives and journals of literature you'd find quite a lot. But I agree studies like Michael Gray's or Christopher Ricks on Dylan are few.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”