Hidden Gems - Suggestions for a Tribute Show

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
seeso

Hidden Gems - Suggestions for a Tribute Show

Postby seeso » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Hello all!

I'm looking for some lesser known songs that I can check out to cover for a tribute show in Chicago next month. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any input!
kalinowt

Re: Hidden Gems - Suggestions for a Tribute Show

Postby kalinowt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:41 am

seeso wrote:Hello all!

I'm looking for some lesser known songs that I can check out to cover for a tribute show in Chicago next month. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any input!
Probably anything from the Dear Heather or Death of A Ladies Man albums would constitute lesser known songs of Leonard Cohen. My favourite from Dear Heather was "Nightingale." Anjani sings it beautifully.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aEIuoUG3XM

A Singer Must Die is also an excellent song and is a bit less covered, but I wouldn`t exactly call it a "hidden gem" like Nightingale. Leonard did a very powerful version of it just a few times on his 2010 tour. The Sydney 2010 concert had the fiercest version I heard. See link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuFnq28A ... re=related

kalinowt
its4inthemorning

Postby its4inthemorning » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:17 pm

How about "Storeroom," the bonus song that was included on the CD version of one of Leonard's early albums?

I am surprised that this song never receives much (any?) mention, the music is rather unique and captivating.

Good luck with your project!
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
kalinowt

Postby kalinowt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:58 pm

its4inthemorning wrote:How about "Storeroom," the bonus song that was included on the CD version of one of Leonard's early albums?

I am surprised that this song never receives much (any?) mention, the music is rather unique and captivating.

Good luck with your project!
Hey that is a good one! Nice choice. Here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNzEHc1st9s

The Window is also one that's getting a lot of attention on the forum lately, but would certainly fit the definition of a hidden gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVeEmsAG ... re=related
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:40 pm

its4inthemorning and kalinowt,

A BIG thank you to you both, for bringing it to my attention and for the link. It is truly a hidden gem and is 'new' to me. Because you brought it to my attention, I went to amazon and just purchased the remastered 'Songs of LC' for that song alone. It is a phenomenal song, both lyrically and musically!

Grateful regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
seeso

Postby seeso » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks for all your help! I made my choices. Luckily for me, Chelsea Hotel No. 2 wasn't taken yet. The three songs I'll be performing are:
  1. Chelsea Hotel No. 2
  2. Nightingale
  3. A Thousand Kisses Deep
If any of you are in the Chicago area, come to the Gallery Cabaret, Friday October 7. It should be a great tribute night.
kalinowt

Postby kalinowt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:03 pm

All great choices! Have a great concert!

kalinowt
seeso wrote:Thanks for all your help! I made my choices. Luckily for me, Chelsea Hotel No. 2 wasn't taken yet. The three songs I'll be performing are:
  1. Chelsea Hotel No. 2
  2. Nightingale
  3. A Thousand Kisses Deep
If any of you are in the Chicago area, come to the Gallery Cabaret, Friday October 7. It should be a great tribute night.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”