Lady Midnight.

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
imaginary friend

Re: Lady Midnight.

Postby imaginary friend » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 am

Hello John E.

Just for fun, in the forum members' poetry section, I have an ongoing alter ego as dominatrix Baroness Imaginary Friend – so I loved reading Drew Cordes theory re. meaning of Lady Midnight!

But – could LC be intimating that the urge to create poetry dominates him as surely as if she/it were a dom, and thus he pleads and kneels before her/its power? 8)
Puddingdale

Postby Puddingdale » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:49 pm

imaginary friend wrote:But – could LC be intimating that the urge to create poetry dominates him as surely as if she/it were a dom, and thus he pleads and kneels before her/its power?
I think both levels of meaning are intended. The poet and creativity as well as a man trying to win some kind of dom, maybe with both being fed up with it and in the end the slave has become the Lord, their roles not really reversed though because the woman is still called "my lady". So in the end both are equals - could it be love now? :lol:
lorca00

Postby lorca00 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Hey,

Lady Midnight refers to the songwriting process and the difficulties of writing/completing a song.
Puddingdale

Postby Puddingdale » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:43 pm

lorca00 wrote:Hey,

Lady Midnight refers to the songwriting process and the difficulties of writing/completing a song.
Which is exactly what most of us have agreed on here - including me. :neutral:
aerolls

Postby aerolls » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:45 am

I just found this, from a while back, Popmatters review of Isle of Wight show 1970--

"Almost as revelatory as “Tonight Will Be Fine” in its Isle of Wight incarnation is “Lady Midnight”, which was one of the more curious inclusions on 1975’s The Best of Leonard Cohen. The studio take is a perfectly serviceable, bouncy, compact little song, but it lacks the beautiful power of his truly great work. The Isle of Wight version is a whole different animal: it’s slowed down just a bit, Cohen delivers a smooth, fluid vocal, and the moment the ladies come in at the end of the song, with a wonderfully drawn-out “You’ve won me, my lord,” leading into some spirited ad-libbing by Cohen, is one of the best demonstrations of what the background vocalists bring to his music. He sounds at ease, and at one, with his songs, in no small part due to the ladies’ elevating them. The six songs drawn from Songs From a Room have never sounded better than they do here."

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”