Who, by Violin?.......

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
lorcamaria

Who, by Violin?.......

Postby lorcamaria » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:26 pm

Hello All,

I have just been listening to a copy of 'no cure for love' - Live Switzerland '93 which I acquired through a Grateful Dead fan about 6 years ago and I have just found it again.

I like a lot of different music and Fairport Convention are a folk band I have seen and enjoyed.
One of their Violinists is the great and able Violin maestro Dave Swarbrick. :D 8)

Now, there is a musician playing Violin on 'I tried to Leave you' on this album I am listening to and he is very much in the style of Swarbrick.
Leonard introduces him to the audience but I cannot quite catch his name, Bobby.........???

Does anyone know who he is please?

Great album by the way and I intend to buy a copy.
Maria

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering,
There is a crack in everything, that's how the Light gets in.
Maarten

Re: Who, by Violin?.......

Postby Maarten » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Probably Bob(by) Fergo.
http://leonardcohenfiles.com/artists.html

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
lorcamaria

Postby lorcamaria » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:25 am

Thank you Maarten,

I have just looked up Bobby Furgo on youtube and I am very taken with his style.
I still cannot find what album it is to buy the proper copy.

This is the song list.

1. Dance me to the end of Love.
2. Waiting for the Miracle.
3. There aint no Cure for Love.
4. Joan of Arc.
5. Bird on a Wire.
6. First we take Manhattan.
7. Take this Waltz.
8. Sisters of Mercy.
9. Avalanche.
10.I tried to Leave You.
11.So Long Marianne.

It was actually given to my husband then who passed it onto me as he is the Deadhead and was given it at a 'Spiral Light' do.
I liked Leonard then but not as much as I do now and I realise he gave it to me actually earlier in 2000 when we were going out with each other in our early lovey dovey days.

Although it appears to be a bootleg CD, I cannot part with it for these two reasons - That he gave it to me and because it is Leonard Cohen.

If anyone knows (EVERYBODY knows!!! ;-) ) what the actual album is, I will gladly go out and buy it.

I like the female singer on it too (Dispearla).

Not only is LC the best, but my oh my, he sure knows how to pick his backup people. They are so talented.
Maria

Maarten

Postby Maarten » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:19 am

Hi Lorcamania,
It is indeed a bootleg album. The Zurich 1993 concert is captured in quite a few silver disc bootlegs, you can find them here:
http://leonardcohenfiles.com/bootleg3.html

If you want to buy this one, the best place to look -I think- would be eBay or silimar. If you want, I can keep an eye out for you...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
lorcamaria

Postby lorcamaria » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:55 am

Yes, this is the one Maarten,

Thank you for your kind offer.
At the present time, I have put loads of Leonard stuff on my Christmas list so I will wait a while before replacing it.
As a point of interest, is this album that I would purchase the same as the one I have; by this I mean would Mr. Cohen still get royalties from the one I buy or not?
I don't really understand the bootleg thing.

Does it mean that it has only been recorded in another country or is it merely a copy of an original album that was done by an amateur and the artist does not benefit.

The only reason I would buy another copy is to ensure that Mr. C did not get ripped off (again :shock: ) which I do not think is fair on the artists.
Maria

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”