Female bacing vocals

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
ChristopherH

Female bacing vocals

Post by ChristopherH »

Hi,

I've tried searching the web, and this forum in search of the answer to this question, but without any conclusive results. Therefor I am hoping some of the knowledgeable people on this forum could provide some clarity.

On the songs "So long, Marianne" and "Who by fire", there are some beautiful female backing-vocals. Is this the same persons? And do anybody have the names of these women?

Regards,
Christopher
MaryB

Re: Female bacing vocals

Post by MaryB »

Hi Christopher,

'So Long Marianne' was first recorded on 'Songs of Leonard Cohen'. The vocalist on this was Nancy Priddy.

'Who by Fire' was first recorded on 'New Skin for the Old Ceremony'. The vocalists were Emily Bindiger, Janis Ian, and Gail Kantor. Someone here may be able to tell you with certainty which one was on that song.

I don't know what album(s) you are listening to for these songs. It would help to know because vocalists have varied on the compilations/live albums.

Welcome to the forum!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Gurkov

Post by Gurkov »

Hello,

Very happy to get some info on the backing vocals of the first album. Thanks for that!

Does anyone know who sings on "The Partisan" from "Songs from a Room"? I've kinda looked everywhere for an answer...

Thanks in advance!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

My well-worn vinyl cover has no listing of musicians.
However according to the excellent Jarkko elsewhere on this site, quoting message by Pod Williams from the Various Positions Board, the backing vocals are
Corlynn Hanney and Sue (Susan) Mussmano (a.k.a. Aileen Fowler).

This link will take you there where you will find a long list of backing singers from many albums and many tours:

viewtopic.php?t=3827

The Leonard Cohen Files site is also well worth many visits.
Enjoy!
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Gurkov

Post by Gurkov »

Great, thanks Alan! :)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”