Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Boogahbo

Post by Boogahbo » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:36 pm

I was sometimes playing with the idea that "Take This Waltz" would be played at my wedding and Kjelling wants to have it at his funerals :lol: (If I ever get married... the whole idea of commitment sounds quite terrifying :shock: ).

I don't know what song is my favourite but The Future has most meaning to me: it all started from this song. I found Leonard's music and poetry through this song.
"Who's the criminal? Who's Jack the Ripper in the Room?"
Thomasbye

Post by Thomasbye » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:30 pm

Suzanne have the best lyrics (Maybe together with Hallelujah and Closing time) - and Hallelujah have the finest melody - I think.
"Each man has a way
to betray
the revolution
This is mine"
muddy

Songs

Post by muddy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:56 pm

WHO BY FIRE I've got no doubt about it...
greenfairy

hmmm...

Post by greenfairy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:43 pm

Well, I'd have to say my all-time favorite is the first Cohen song I fell completely in love with, and that's Famous Blue Raincoat. It still crushes me. Take This Longing is awesome, too; "take this longing from my tongue/whatever useless things these hands have done." But really, I'm with the others - it depends on the day, the mood, and all that. Closing Time is usually good for cheering me up :)
And quiet is the thought of you
the file on you complete
Except what we forgot to do
A thousand kisses deep...
muddy

Post by muddy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:18 pm

The last lines of the future...I think it is "and all the lousy liitle poets tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson" is a song by itself...

It's an explanation for what I understand as poetry.
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Post by Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:33 pm

"Came so far for beauty" is one of my favorites for the writing and performance. I apparently didn't think that album was lacking as some did. I just thought it was him in a different phase of his career. Transitional perhaps.
"Hallelujah" and "Love Calls You By Your Name" have been the two in my mind the most this week. I don't have an all time favorite. I love most of them as anyone who has read my posts can probably tell.
Kevin
I loved the song "Death of a Ladies Man" because it is one of my favorite poems. But I think it could have been performed more effectively in a different way. But that's just me.
Kevin
Kjelling

Post by Kjelling » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:22 am

It's not just you, Last Year's Kevin:

I, too, think that songs from Death of a Ladies' Man could be done much better in a different way. I love the album but it's not easy on the ears.
Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:04 pm

"Famous Blue Raincoat", now and forever.
never could stand that dog...
st theresa

Love itself, a thousand kisses deep and

Post by st theresa » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:38 am

Like many here, choosing a favourite would be tough, but the album that stands out for me among the many is Ten New Songs. Appearing for me during a period of spiritual light --the song Love itself seemed to echo the experience I was having. I had encountered a poet online at a spiritual chat and during our conversations, I felt as if in a kind of ecstasy--not "in love" in the tradtional sense of that word but as love. The experience I was going through and Leonard's music ( again) seemed to coincide by more than chance. When I asked my spiritual friend if he had heard of Leonard he said he thought he was a phony until I sent him the Cd. The poem that had brought this friend and I together was Robert Frost's Two Roads. Not surprisingly this poet was referenced on Ten New Songs. My poet friend eventually listened to Leonard and caught the reference. This past Christmas I purchased Kd Lang's hymns to the 49th parallel with some of my favourite songs by cohen and others. Coming full circle back to my first cohen favourite--Like a Bird on a Wire. Between the nostalgia of that cd and Dear Heather, I feel like Leonard and I have travelled a long way together, and he has given me so much. I'll be loving you always., leonard
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Post by Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:24 am

"Last Year's Kevin." I like that, kJelling. If I was in the habit of second-guessing myself I'd say that I prefer that name to the one I chose. I'll use that in my next life, providing that I'm named Kevin again, of course.
KWM
A'af

Post by A'af » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm

My favourite is "tonight will be fine" from Live Songs
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:03 am

My all time favorite (at the moment): Alexandra leaving

Other highlights in Cohen's career:
- One of us cannot be wrong
- Seems so long ago, Nancy
- Avalanche
- Came so far for beauty

There's no way I can pick one and one only.

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Bryce48

Post by Bryce48 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:16 am

In this order:

"Closing Time"
"Hallelujah"
"Night Comes On"
"The Future"
"Democracy"
"The Tower of Song"
"Waiting for the Miracle"
"Suzanne"
"The Guests"
"Chelsea Hotel"
"This Waltz"

But this is always subject to change (Except for "Closing Time" - my all-time fav.)
bobbymc

Post by bobbymc » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:33 am

Obviously, we all have many favorites and it is nearly impossible to pick one.Some of my favorites are:Famous Blue Raincoat,Take this Waltz,Closing Time,Suzanne,Sisters of Mercy.Perhaps an interesting topic would be least favorite songs,Leonard has done some songs that I can't listen to [Jazz Police] despite the overall brilliance of his work.
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Post by Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:07 pm

I like the mention of J. Paul Getty in Jazz Police. But, it's not the first Cohen song that I'd play for someone.

Kevin

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”