Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
mraynor

Leonard Cohen's Favourite

Post by mraynor »

The lyrics from "Sing Another Song, Boys" which talk about the moon "They'll never ever reach the moon, At least not the one that we're after. It's floating, broken on the open sea; look out there, my friend, And it carries no survivor" must be the most poignant and sweetest lines ever written about love. Only a master like Cohen could have sung so beautifully.
Cheers.
Margie
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Excellent commentary, Margie ~ would you care to join us on the "Analysis" thread of Leonard's poem, "A Life Of Errands"? It's in the "Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels" section. Others here are aware of it, but seem reluctant to join in :( . It'd be great if you did :D .

~ Lizzytysh
Adrian

changing tides

Post by Adrian »

I, too, would have different answers for different days ( :

The two songs that are in mind now are Who By Fire and Bird on a Wire. I think partly why those songs linger and rise in my memory are they follow the cadence of how I sing in my own head ~ and occasionally let out! hehehe

So, those are songs you might hear me singing (though not if you're lucky :wink: )

Then, there is a wealth of great songs that I hear Leonard and his interpreters sing. There is so much to explore.

So, for today...
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
TheBlueMask

My Pick

Post by TheBlueMask »

My favorite Leonard Cohen song is "Passing Through." I have never heard a song quite like that in my life and the frankness of the melancholy lyrics combined with upbeat musical backing and pure emotion takes me away. Such a song like that is truly original. An experience.
Cohen Knight

Post by Cohen Knight »

I don't think "Passing Through" is a Leonard Cohen original work. I'm pretty sure its simply a song he covered.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

the credits I find for "Passing Through" (LC's live version) are:

written by R. Blakeslee, arranged by Leonard Cohen
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

I have not hear this one, and I have nearly every CD. what is it on?
"...and for something like a second, I was cured, and my heart was at ease."
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Live Songs (April 1973) is where the excellent Song Index Jarkko has on this site says you'll find it! :D
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

Thanks. I 'll look for it.
peterhmm

Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

Post by peterhmm »

I don't have a favorite, but I just listened to The Guests this week.

The vocal harmonies are lovely. The begining has slight out of key note that gives splendid preamble atmosphere. I think there is a violin, a mandolin and a maybe even a harp...with key alternate sounds. They play great off each other. beautiful harmonies with so many voices and instruments. :D
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

Yes, indeed, lots of Cohen's songs have marvelous layers of sound. I think this is a large part of what holds them up for years of listening pleasure. Seems like I'm always finding something new lurking in the background of an old favorite.
Lostlyric

Post by Lostlyric »

Hi All:

I have a number of favourites among Leonard's songs. My preference would roughly be in the following order, though this order may vary depending on my mood. To name a few:

Take This Waltz, Hallelujah, I'm Your Man, The Future, Waiting For A Miracle, Dance Me To The End of Love, If It Be Your Will, The Law, Avalanche, Master's Song, Stories of the Street, The Stranger Song etc. etc......I give up...too many to name.

I think answering the question of what is one's favourite song by Leonard is almost impossible. And what I am about to suggest may be anathema to most people on this forum. But I am wondering if an easier way of getting at which of Leonard's songs we like the most may be to ask which of Leonard's songs don't people much care for. Now please don't flame me for making this suggestion, but to be frank I have always been puzzled by Leonard's songs on the album titled "Recent Songs". They somehow don't quite fall into the kinds of songs I have always identified with Leonard. For one Leonard's intensity on the songs in this album is sort of missing to my mind.

What do other people think?

Just wondering.

Best,

Biraj
"So if you're sitting all alone and hear a-knocking at your door and the air is full of promises, well buddy, you've been warned!!!"

Nick Cave on love
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

The Window is one of my all-time favorites from this collection, although I prefer the version on Field Commander Cohen.

I also really get a tickle out of Humbled in Love, and I like the Guests. The Smokey Life breaks my heart every time I hear it, and the Gypsy Wife is one full of LCs usual dark messages.

The other songs are unusual for him, though, I agree.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Lostlyric, I think that is a good idea, although I believe most people don't like 'Death of a Ladies' Man' as much as the other albums. I really like it, but only when I need to be cheered up, perversely!
Astonishingly, I've just realised I don't even have 'Recent Songs'! Somehow, I'd completely forgotten to buy it - I guess because I have most of the songs on other CDs.
Personally I'm not over-fond of 'Diamonds in the Mine' because it is so harsh-sounding.
Kjelling

Post by Kjelling »

This is not the first time I've seen Recent Songs underestimated. It find it kinda surprising that it's possible to dislike this album. Apart from the obvious highlights "The Guests", "The Gypsy's Wife", and "The Window", there are such lovely (sorry, Geoffrey) gems as "Our Lady of Solitude" -- truly beautiful -- "Came So Far for Beauty" and "The Traitor". All beautifully arranged and recorded (with real instruments).

What's not to like?

But for best Cohen song -- or best song ever, in my opinion -- there's this classic called "Take This Waltz". I wouldn't mind having that played at my funeral.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”