What sort of music does Leonard Cohen play?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

That's the question I was asked yesterday whilst waiting for the airport bus in Florence. I was totally stumped. Is he a crooner? No I said (or is he???). Does he play jazz? No (though, thinking about it, some of the music could definitely be described as jazz). In the end I ducked the question completely and suggested that they check out some sound samples on the web and decide for themselves but the question has stuck with me and I am wondering how other people would have replied to it.

Wendy
LisaLCFan

Re: What sort of music does Leonard Cohen play?

Post by LisaLCFan »

If asked, I categorise Leonard as "folk-blues-Euro-pop-jazz-world-gypsy-R&B-soul-with-occasional-tinges-of-country" (in no particular order). :D

(And I would never call him a "crooner"!)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thanks Lisa. That should just about cover it!!

Wendy
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Glad to be of help!
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Mabeanie1.

His music is a melting pot and appeals to 'everyone'. Definitely not a crooner. This is what makes him so interesting because you cannot pin it down. You really never know what to expect from a new song of his... do you :D

Cheshire gal
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

My answer has always been:
He sings story songs while painting intricate word pictures.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Wendy,

I've always told people when they've asked, that his music has a 'European flavor' - the most beautiful melodies. And that doesn't really capture it either.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mat james

Post by mat james »

I think he would play Bach, Theodorakis and perhaps also some Gypsy tunes :idea: ;-)
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
remote1

Post by remote1 »

I've been thinking about this... He's eclectic, certainly, but to narrow it down, I was wondering if we can say that, whereas he used to be into folk rock, he is now more into bluesy rock. Would that be fair to say?

Having said that, I think LisaLCFan's answer is the most accurate, but I would struggle to remember it, that's the only problem! :D
"We are so lightly here"
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I think I missed one: "gospel," so please add that into my original description! ;-)
holydove

Post by holydove »

Leonard himself once said that his music is a mix of Folk - European - & Synagogue Cantor ( isn't that fascinating & beautiful? He said this in the '70's - you will also see him saying it in an interview in Bird On A Wire). So, forgive me if I am too demanding, but I think we also have to add "Synagogue Cantor" to Lisa's otherwise very thorough description!!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thanks to everyone for their input. One thing is puzzling me and I meant to follow up on it after Mary's response a few days ago and forgot but Rachel has just reminded me.

What is "European music"? It is a term which is totally meaningless to me as a European!

Wendy
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Mabeanie1 asks what is European music?

I think I know what it is when I hear it but it is hard to describe. I would have to say it is the use of different instruments. Javier Mas' oud is one. But I love it, it is just not the regular guitars that are used in popular songs. Seems to be influenced by Greek instruments also. This probably does not make sense. But anyway it sounds 'heavenly'. :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I guess I consider European music that which has it's origins in the folk music of all European countries ie. waltzes, tangos, polkas, czardas, etc. Songs that have been passed down for generations. Does that make sense?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
horo1984

Post by horo1984 »

Lisa's description gets my vote too :) Few singers have so eclectic a variety of songs.

I need to say this: the musical element in LC's songs is always very good. Problem is, his lyrics are DIVINE. This prompts his detractors to say that he can write but can't sing, which is pure garbage (among the flowers :lol: ) in my opinion.

Me? I think you can never separate the two. But yes, when you fall for a song, you are either drawn first to the lyrics or the music. Both instances apply to me:

e.g.
Lyrics first - Stranger Song: initially I just kept skipping the track! But the lyrics - perfection.
Music first - Lover, Lover, Lover: initially, the classic opening lines of the song were all I could remember. I was quite content to listen to it for the melody alone (especially the live versions).

But I digress here. Must be the insomniac in me talking :D

Lester
Last edited by horo1984 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I needed so much / To have nothing to touch / I've always been greedy that way
Sydney, Australia - 9 November 2010

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”