A Number One for Leonard??

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
lightasabreeze

A Number One for Leonard??

Postby lightasabreeze » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46 am

I wonder why Leonard does not put out a single. Something say like - Be For Real-. A lot of songs now are of lost love and the such like.
Or maybe he is happy the way things are for him.
Of course I suppose the difficulty would be to get the radio presenters to push it out.
What would you like to see as a 'number one' for him.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
John Etherington

Re: A Number One for Leonard??

Postby John Etherington » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Nothing! I told Leonard as long ago as 1996 that one of his greatest achievements is never having had a hit single. I suppose there would be a certain irony though if he finally had a hit with a Frederick Knight song!
Last edited by John Etherington on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B4real

Postby B4real » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Regards you suggested single "Be For Real" he could put on the flip-side "Light As The Breeze" (just returning the favour) ;-) :)

Or What about "Billy Sunday/Chelsea Hotel #1" ?

I don't know how it could all work or in fact if it would be feasilble for him to do, but it is an interesting thought.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Vicomtesse

Postby Vicomtesse » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:18 pm

I presume you are talking UK?
Back in the summer of 2008 I was recovering from an op. listening to Stuart Maconie (I think!) 'sitting in' for 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon' when he talked about what's coming up and mentioned Leonard Cohen so I thought I'll keep listening.
He went on and on about LC (not that I minded) and even appologised about it. He said that he had been to see him the night before at the O2 in London and couldn't get over the performance. He said LC was the most Charismatic performer he had ever seen and praised him over and over. He played a couple of his songs one old and one newish.
I believe that Radio 2 is now the new 'Radio 1' in terms of popularity and the audience has many younger people not just the over 35's as intended.
I don't think that LC would have too much trouble getting to no. one; he has already done it albeit through the X Factor; at least a lot more people know of him now.
Vicomtesse

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”