LEONKA

Re: Bring Back The Violin

Post by LEONKA »

Hi Arlene

Leonard tour of 2010 without the Webb sisters? Neither Sharon Robinson :(
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

LEONKA wrote: Leonard tour of 2010 without the Webb sisters? Neither Sharon Robinson :(
Leonka. The quoted announcements were issued prior to the start of the tour in 2008.
They have nothing to do with the 2010 tour.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

bridger15 wrote:
Leonka. The quoted announcements were issued prior to the start of the tour in 2008.
They have nothing to do with the 2010 tour.
bridger15

I fell down the stone from the heart, comforted me. Perhaps I need glasses because I probably read wrong, it was in 2008. My apologies. :neutral:
remote1

Post by remote1 »

I agree, bring back the violin, viola and cello. They are definitely missed. But we're keeping Dino too. We want it all and we want it now!
(Well, nowish... break comes first!)
"We are so lightly here"
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

For those of you wanting an LC and violin fix, listen to the beautiful mp3 of "Silent Night" that Jarkko just posted. The post also includes an amazing art photo by Eija.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20399#p209545
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Please allow me to be a bit pompous, but was that not a viola? Genuinely interested, not being facetious! :D
"We are so lightly here"
B4real

Post by B4real »

Have just watched this video (it has been presented on you tube before) but it does relate to this thread so I thought I would include it here. It was on Jools Holland's TV show in May 1993. Wonderful violin work by Bob Furgo - does anyone know what he's doing these days?

Just look at Leonard, he's obviously having a relaxed few moments - really enjoying himself. :razz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FokPG5gDyZU

and to remote1:
I can't distinguish which it is :oops:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Sasha K

Post by Sasha K »

I, too, would LOVE to hear a gypsy violin on this tour ( as well as Dino S.) - Rafi Hakopian was sublime - but it would need to be somebody as good as him.
I know Leonard tried to find Rafi prior to this tour...
remote1

Post by remote1 »

There is this fantastic link in a recent thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20922#p217030) in the Live Performances section, to Leonard Cohen - Rare Live Songs (http://www.twoshakesofalambstail.com/st ... index.html). I assume you are all aware of this treasure trove already, but I have only just discovered it, and I thought violin lovers might like to hear the live recording of 'Seems So Long Ago Nancy' (http://www.twoshakesofalambstail.com/st ... _Nancy.mp3). The violin bit is at the end and I thought B4real in particular might enjoy it...
"We are so lightly here"
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi remote 1,

You are a sweetheart to think of me and my love of a violin but yes, you are right, I have had Rare Live Songs since my first post of this forum. I was looking for more songs of Leonard's because I had all the official ones and Tom Sakic answered my post with this link. I myself have also posted it in the news section Tony Palmer Bird On A Wire Documentary for someone else. It does indeed relate to an interesting time of songs in Leonard's life. You know the song "Silent NIght" on it is the one Jarkko plays each year for Christmas - Jennifer Warnes sings also and my favourite Raffi Hakopin plays the violin :)
(I've researched it and it is a violin)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
remote1

Post by remote1 »

No problem, it was worth it just in case! I tend to always be the last one to find out everything... :D
"We are so lightly here"
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi remote1,

You are definitely not the last one to find out - remember how you found "The Guests" on French TV with Leonard and, dare I say it, Raffi Hakopin's wonderful violin playing. If it wasn't for all your help (and marine's) I wouldn't have the video I now do. You have a wonderful heart and I love your sense of humour :)
Jeremy

Bring Back The Violin

Post by Jeremy »

Leonard isn't going to bring it back now, I imagine, but I did love the sound it gave.

I discovered his music on the Jools Holland show mentioned above, and that wonderful fiddle sound was a large (obviously not the only) part of the instant appeal for me.

Ah well.......
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I also think the violin would add an additional romantic theme to the program. The videos were beautiful. Thank you for giving us a chance to see them.

Marie
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
B4real

Post by B4real »

Cheshire gal wrote:I also think the violin would add an additional romantic theme to the program. The videos were beautiful. Thank you for giving us a chance to see them. Marie
It's my absolute pleasure to do that and I still watch them over and over with the same amount of enjoyment and pleasure :D
bridger15 wrote:Ah, but the violin was chosen originally for this tour. And the tour band also included Dino. It was not an either/or situation.
Unfortunately, Christine Wu had to withdraw.
B4real wrote:Well then, as it was in the begining - why can't it be now in the future
and I still say BRING BACK THE VIOLIN!!!!!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”