Dance Me To The End Of Love

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Jenniebugs

Dance Me To The End Of Love

Postby Jenniebugs » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:30 am

It is only now at aged 63 that I have stumbled upon Leonard Cohen's music and lyrics from his album London Live. Since buying the album I have listened repeatedly to it and I have deep regrets that I have never immersed myself in his lyrics before. However in the hindsight of the wisdom of my own years, this was the right time for me to absorb them as they complete my own life's experiences and philosophies and I found myself echoing and responding like for like. His lyrics speak to me of his search for the heart of the matter, the truth that lies behind the lies. His utter charisma of spirit is breathtaking. His pure unaldulterated eroticism, so beautifully crafted, raises sex to a spiritual level and seems to elevate the female to the status of goddess. He has the ability to 'see' what others only glimpse and is able to literate what he observes whilst others who might 'feel'and echo his profundities in their psyche, could never craft such deep thoughts and emotions into words and music as he does. He strikes a chord in the heart. He opens up the searching mind and reveals the vista that has been hidden by the mist. He stirs the longing to touch and know God. God bless you Leonard and thank you for enriching so many lives.
John Etherington

Re: Dance Me To The End Of Love

Postby John Etherington » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:56 am

Hi Jenniebugs,

Thank you for posting such an excellent summary of what makes Leonard so unique. I totally agree with everything that you say.

All good wishes, John E
stan

Postby stan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Jenniebugs.WOW my feelings and emotions as well.
Stan
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
Lilifyre

Postby Lilifyre » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:18 am

Another 63 yr old "newbie" here. Or is that a Leonard Cohen Virgin? I'm surprised I didn't find him years ago. This is the music I've listened to since my teen years. I'm just happy that I found him now. This man is such a genius with with words and music. While I adore the vast majority of his work, there are a rare few that I don't care for, but even those touch something deep inside me. The one thing his music does not do is to leave me feeling nothing. At this age I find him an inspiration.
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:50 am

Jenniebugs,

What an achingly beautiful summary of your feelings about his music! Welcome to the forum and hope to hear more from you.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Jonnie Falafel

Postby Jonnie Falafel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:08 pm

"The heart beneath is teaching
To the broken heart above"

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”