Which two songs does LC sing over and over?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
lazariuk

Re: Which two songs does LC sing over and over?

Post by lazariuk »

charlajoy wrote:I have a feeling that the whole falling thing is somehow connected to the fear of death.
As part of my fall, I once went 21 feet to a concrete floor. believe me, my fear is not the fear of death, it is the fear of not finding soft places to land.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
charlajoy

Post by charlajoy »

lazariuk wrote: As part of my fall, I once went 21 feet to a concrete floor. believe me, my fear is not the fear of death, it is the fear of not finding soft places to land.
Understand. We were relating to opposites at some earlier point, I do believe, being said that the opposite of love would be indifference--love and indifference on the same plane, so to speak, but the antithesis. In the same manner of speaking, we could refer to faith and fear being of the same plane, but one the antithesis of the other, fear being the "faith" that the snake will bite and harm, for instance. In this way, one could either have the instinctive response to believe in the negative thing happening or one could have an instinctive response that the best will truly happen. As humans, it's more difficult to operate in the latter. Our most likely human response is to have "faith" that the negative will happen, thus fearing that thing. Most of the time, fear itself is our worst enemy because its very negative energies seem to draw us in to the thing we really don't want to happen. A girl, for instance, constantly afraid of her boyfriend's infidelity, will most likely attract that happenstance to her. It's the motion of the universe. At the heart of her fear is the fear that her relationship, her selfhood, will cease to exist, thus the "fear of death" as I explain it. Anyway, just another hobknobbing from my desk. This is the Leonard Cohen forum!!
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

charlajoy wrote: At the heart of her fear is the fear that her relationship, her selfhood, will cease to exist, thus the "fear of death" as I explain it. Anyway, just another hobknobbing from my desk. This is the Leonard Cohen forum!!
I also have another perspective about fear that I learned about when I was four and gave into it in maybe in a way that only a four year old can do. It led me to think that fear is the outer shell of awe. I learned that at a window that I often try to return to.
charlajoy

Post by charlajoy »

Lazariuk: "I also have another perspective about fear that I learned about when I was four and gave into it in maybe in a way that only a four year old can do. It led me to think that fear is the outer shell of awe. I learned that at a window that I often try to return to."

A cool perspective. Maybe that's what I feel when I'm looking over the Grand Canyon--right at the edge of the rock.
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

charlajoy wrote: A cool perspective. Maybe that's what I feel when I'm looking over the Grand Canyon--right at the edge of the rock.
Yes Yes Yes
But please do be careful where you make the leap from fear, through terror to awe. remember the whole trick is finding someplace soft to land.
the song
fools rush in
where wise men never go
but wise men never fall in love
so how are they to know
is a horrible lie. They became wise by falling in love
charlajoy

Post by charlajoy »

They became wise by falling in love
Good, it's been decided then. I'm quite wise. Does one gain more wisdom by falling in love and not knowing when to be a banana in another orbit? Charlajoy
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

charlajoy wrote:
They became wise by falling in love
Good, it's been decided then. I'm quite wise. Does one gain more wisdom by falling in love and not knowing when to be a banana in another orbit? Charlajoy
I don't know. I will need to think about that one.
OK I thought enough.
I think it might be wise to let the pull of orbits be a slingshot to get a banana out to where stars co-orbit around each other. It's a bit of a trade. The moon pulls the bananas to find the one that is meant for her, the one that can take her to the stars and the bananas learn to be prepared for stars. feel free to pull as you women are always pulling bananas whether you like it or not. As albert said , we got the means figured out but are greatly confused about the aims.

And do take a look at where leonard went bananas. While you are there take a peek at his singing the banana song
http://1heckofaguy.com/2009/05/14/leona ... e-bananas/
charlajoy

Post by charlajoy »

lazariuk wrote:I think it might be wise to let the pull of orbits be a slingshot to get a banana out to where stars co-orbit around each other. It's a bit of a trade. The moon pulls the bananas to find the one that is meant for her, the one that can take her to the stars and the bananas learn to be prepared for stars.
Sweetly funny, Jack. Who said you weren't a Longfellow?

I think this is the kind of threads fairytales are made of: simple, but easily understood by all, a great way to start my day. And what's with that last line...I'm trying to think of it now, because I left it behind...the one about the banana's encouragement to stars? I thought that the moon did the work? the stars help the moon? Charla
rosered51

Post by rosered51 »

In my opinion, Mr. Cohen really only has one theme in his music -- the juxtaposition of the sacred and the profane. He sees women as both earthly and heavenly, worship-worthy and, at times, disgusting (Closing Time, Tower of Song). I think he has used his music to explore his own conflicted feelings about spirituality and desire, or carnality. Even the "political" songs contain this message if you listen closely.

Sharon
iveta

Post by iveta »

Code: Select all

He sees women as both earthly and heavenly, worship-worthy and, at times, disgusting (Closing Time, Tower of Song).
Hey, you took my words.
I´m good at love, I´m good at hate, I´m freezing in between
I keep saying that the absoulutely best poets, such as Poe, Baudelaire, Byron, Coleridge, romantics, best poets just have to be at least slightly slighty maniodepressive. (sorry for the expression again, no offence)

Their lives gets hard, but then they can display such a beatifull burning and shining range of orbits. So wonderfull to watch.
Of course I´m pathetic, I´ve spent my life getting the most impressive stuff out of the most impressive books. Malcolm Bradbury

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”