A Broken Hallelujah

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
musicmania

Re: A Broken Hallelujah

Postby musicmania » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:29 pm

Maybe we should create a Facebook page titled "No more covers of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah"! A guy I work with reckons Jeff Buckleys version is better than Leonards! I wasn't amused :?
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Lilifyre

Postby Lilifyre » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 pm

musicmania wrote:Maybe we should create a Facebook page titled "No more covers of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah"! A guy I work with reckons Jeff Buckleys version is better than Leonards! I wasn't amused :?
I know just what you mean! Leonard is the genius who created the song. How can anyone claim to be better than he is?

I know Leonard has praised people who have covered many of his songs. I can understand his motivation. It is to his advantage to get his music to the ears of as many people as possible, but some of the covers of LC songs are just horrible. I happened to end up in quite a flame war on YouTube with a fan of Antony over his cover of "If it be Your Will". Now, I'll give credit where it's due and say that Antony has written and performed a few songs himself that are very well done, but he is NO Leonard Cohen. His cover of "If It Be Your Will" is overly dramatic, whiny, and just doesn't have the soul of LC's version. I'm not even all that crazy about how the Web Sisters do it on the Live in London DVD, and they do it better than most.

As for Hallelujah, I've heard way too many wannabes brutalize that wonderful song. There is a video on YouTube of Rufus Wainwright in concert where he appears to have been woken up for the performance. He's wearing a friggin bathrobe, he forgets the words, and acts bored with his own performance. His sister joins him for 1 verse and her performance is equally bad. It's like, why did they even bother. Had I paid to attend that concert I would have asked for my money back.

As for the FaceBook page...sign me up!
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
Womanfromaroom

Postby Womanfromaroom » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:07 pm

musicmania wrote:Maybe we should create a Facebook page titled "No more covers of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah"! A guy I work with reckons Jeff Buckleys version is better than Leonards! I wasn't amused :?
There is a very similar FB group already, called "If I listen to anybody singing 'Hallelujah', it has to be Leonard Cohen" or something like that. I will look it up!
Last edited by Womanfromaroom on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Lilifyre

Postby Lilifyre » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Oh, I almost forgot the best of the YouTube idjits. This guy named "Adam", not to be confused with Adam Cohen, son of our Leonard, posted a video of himself singing, what else? Hallelujah. He sings off key, forgets the words, and doesn't really have that great a voice to begin with. Ok, so I wasn't really nice, but his performance didn't deserve "nice" IMHO. I posted a comment where I suggested he was singing in the key of "OFF". :lol: He posts back to me with some of the nastiest profanity imaginable an excuse for why he did such a poor job. Well, exkeeewwwwwwwwsssssssssssseeeeeeeeee ME! If you're gonna be so sensative about what people have to say about your performance, why did you put that piece of trash on a site where thousands/millions of people are gonna see/listen to it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdj8mKkEsWk

See how long you can stand to listen to this drek. :lol:
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
musicmania

Postby musicmania » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:54 pm

That was painful to my ears....... I'm just after checking out Hallelujah FB pages & there is none actually calling for no more covers of this song. I'm gonna set up the page & put the link on our forum page on FB for all to join. I actually found a page calling for Leonard to stop ruining Jeff Buckleys song!!! You have to join the group to post a comment & while of course I want to correct them I ain't joining that group!!!!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

musicmania

Postby musicmania » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:28 pm

I've set up the group & put the link on the wall of our forum FB page. If you are on FB please join :D

John K.

Postby John K. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Lilifyre wrote: I happened to end up in quite a flame war on YouTube with a fan of Antony over his cover of "If it be Your Will". Now, I'll give credit where it's due and say that Antony has written and performed a few songs himself that are very well done, but he is NO Leonard Cohen. His cover of "If It Be Your Will" is overly dramatic, whiny, and just doesn't have the soul of LC's version. I'm not even all that crazy about how the Web Sisters do it on the Live in London DVD, and they do it better than most.
Uh oh, your making me nervous...

I'm doing a rendition of "If it be your will" at church this Sunday, and if the video comes out in a reasonable quality I was going to post it since it's been so long since I did "Democracy". I may have to rethink this plan...
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
musicmania

Postby musicmania » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:23 am

Ah don't be nervous. It is our beloved Hallelujah being covered so much that really annoys us. Good luck on Sunday :D

Lilifyre

Postby Lilifyre » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:30 am

"Uh oh, your making me nervous...

I'm doing a rendition of "If it be your will" at church this Sunday, and if the video comes out in a reasonable quality I was going to post it since it's been so long since I did "Democracy". I may have to rethink this plan..."

LOL....Not to worry, John K. I promise not to pick on you. Just PLEASE don't wear a stupid schmatte (Yiddish for rag...not to be confused with "rags of light") like Antony does and don't whine. ;-) Afterall, YOU are a fan of Leonard and probably have very high standards for what a cover of one of his songs should sound like. I think the torn sweater offends me as much as anything. OTHER singers, like Mick Jagger and even Dylan can get by in torn jeans and dirty T-shirts, but Leonard has class...always has!

Good luck with your performance. I'd be interested in hearing it. I promise to be nice. ;-)
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
Lilifyre

Postby Lilifyre » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:45 am

Hey, John, I just checked out your website. You've got nothing to fear from me. Very good job with Democracy! :shock: I checked out a couple of your original pieces as well. VERY NICE!

Take care and please share "If it be Your Will" once you've finished it.
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”