Songs of love and hate

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
holydove

Re: Songs of love and hate

Postby holydove » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Queen of Solitude, I absolute agree that LC is a prophet. The first time I watched the Isle of Wight video in my living room, the word "prophet" kept going through my mind. I'd used the words sage, guru, mystic, before, in describing Leonard. But "prophet" specifically crossed my mind with that video. There are examples of what I would call prophecy in many of Leonard's songs & poems.
GinaDCG

Postby GinaDCG » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:32 pm

OK. Thanksgiving over, kid back at school - I have time to think again.

I have always suspected that the placement of "Avalanche" and the song which follows it "Last Year's Man" inform each other. First, they share a similar degree of convoluted-ness with language that suggests Biblical implications. I would say more, but I do not wish to paint myself as a certifiable crazy, so I'll just ask if anyone else has suspected links?
aret91

Postby aret91 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:08 pm

astranger wrote:I was thinking while listening to Dress Rehearsal Rag for the millionth time today that I should ask a question I've never felt has fully been answered. What exactly is the "rag" referring to in the song? A magazine? That's the only thing I can think of in terms of slang. I get the dress rehearsal part, but the rag line has always left me racking my brain
Sorry to drag up an old post but I was just reading this and I really wanted to put in my 2 cents. Basically, I always thought the 'Rags' he referrs to is our skin. I always thought he meant that life itself is a 'dress rehearsal' for whatever comes next and the 'rags' we wear in this rehearsal are our skins/flesh...

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”