Croatian tribute to Leonard Cohen

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
nincsmit

Croatian tribute to Leonard Cohen

Post by nincsmit »

from http://www.XenoMusic.com, an archive of Central European music:

Ibrica : Hazarder- A Tribute to Leonard Cohen

Croatian singer Ibrica, with acoustic guitar, wryly reflects on a lifetime's battles won and lost. Discreet backing gives the sound a fullness and elegiac pop-hit quality reminiscent of late Donovan. The CD is intended as a tribute to Leonard Cohen, and these will indeed be recognizable to fans as vintage Cohen songs, each translated into Croatian. While the melodies stay fairly faithful to Cohen's arrangements, Ibrica's voice remains somehow more optimistic and stubborn than Leonard's, as a result translating the feel from mainly depressive to proudly defiant.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for this reference and link, nincsmit. I went there; however, it appears the sound on my computer is somehow disabled, so I await my computer woman for that and a number of other things. The "proudly defiant" effect with some of Leonard's songs sounds intriguing.
~Lizzytysh
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Ibrica's album has also been featured in the Tributes section of The Leonard Cohen Files - at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/jusic.html
Jarkko
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I am here, back from my vacation... It is really like late Donovan. Ibrica usually sings only with guitar, but this time he has full band and 2 ladies on backing vocals. He actually sounds like Leonard on his mid-1970s tours, 1975, 1976.
Just ask for CD, I traded it with many LC fans, and someone even said that So Long, Marianne is better than Leonard's own studio version.
I was on Ibrica's concert 2 weeks ago, when I was on Adriatic. It was great and very long. He also performed Minute Prologue, So Long Marianne, Bird On The Wire in Croatian, and on the end of concert (before encores, of course) Dance Me To The End Of Love with audience clapping during the whole song:-) Excellent.
Bye, Tom.
The most intrigant on concert were Ibrica's performance of "sevdah" songs, brought to Dubrovnik and Bosnia by Sefard Jews. I'm hoping for new album, or live CD with LC covers.
jurica

Post by jurica »

hmmm... better than leonard himself?

i wouldn't say so. i'm a croat, therefore i understand lyrics the way ibrica sings them, and they don't seem as deep as they do in english. interesting to note is depersonation of marianne in so long marianne which is in ibrica's version:'so long little one'... why?
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I agree. But it's still deeper than any other Croatian album ever, it seems to me. Except maybe Arsen or Toma Bebic.
What I don't like on Ibrica's tribute is his over-exaltation. (? sorry for spelling). But still, Glyn thinks Ibrica's Marianne is better.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”