Random LC moment I am adoring today

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
LisaLCFan

Re: Random LC moment I am adoring today

Post by LisaLCFan »

My random LC moment was actually last night: I was watching "Unforgotten" -- a British murder-mystery show, of which Series 4 is currently airing on PBS in North America -- and one of the characters, who was having a serious and heavy conversation with someone, says, "There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in". Indeed. (There was no reference to Leonard -- they just nicked his lines!)
Diane

Post by Diane »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:56 pm My random LC moment was actually last night: I was watching "Unforgotten" -- a British murder-mystery show, of which Series 4 is currently airing on PBS in North America -- and one of the characters, who was having a serious and heavy conversation with someone, says, "There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in". Indeed. (There was no reference to Leonard -- they just nicked his lines!)
I recall that episode and the unattributed quote, Lisa.

Like Shakespeare and the Bible before him, some of LC's words are clearly entering into everyday phraseology!
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

the crack in everything is almost every day on the radio, these last months : Arno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaBPYc3id1Y
... precisely ...
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Diane wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:39 pm ...Like Shakespeare and the Bible before him, some of LC's words are clearly entering into everyday phraseology!

Indeed, and isn't that grand! I suspect that, like Shakespeare and the Bible, many people have no idea where these various phrases originated, but those of us "in the know" can take extra pleasure when we hear someone use Leonard's immortal words.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I'm away for a week, in Co. Kerry, Ireland, and this morning at my hostel, while having breakfast, and chatting to another guest about Leonard, I hear Anthem on the radio! A local radio station, which isn't usually my taste.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
B4real

Post by B4real »

Just this minute I had ABC Radio National Australia playing in the background and out of the blue I heard someone say Leonard Cohen :o Of course, I turned up the volume and listened closely. They played Anthem and talked about how the guest Susan Cain was influenced by LC and others when she wrote her latest book “Bittersweet” - https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pr ... n/13847902 - Unfortunately, no audio of it at this stage.

From what I can remember (other things I don’t) she spoke about whether or not to attend the Memorial concert in 2017 for Leonard but eventually did go. She said that she didn’t get emotionally involved in it until Famous Blue Raincoat was sung by Damien Rice, especially with his ending of the song. Later she asked other people there if the same thing had happened to them and they agreed. Maybe those of you who were there felt something similar.

Some links about her book -

https://susancain.net/book/bittersweet/#

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/582 ... ittersweet
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Hi B4,

Interesting comments by Susan Cain about the Memorial Concert, thanks for posting this.

I referred to my review of the Memorial Concert on "Along the Way," and see that I thought FBR was one of the highlights of the show. Beyond that, I must say that I really do not recall many of the performances that much other than "So Long Marianne" where Adam read Leonard's letter to Marianne at the end. I really will never comprehend why the DVD of that concert was never released. (If somehow it was released and I just missed it, please tell me!)

B well B4.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Post by B4real »

its4inthemorning wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:26 pm I really will never comprehend why the DVD of that concert was never released. (If somehow it was released and I just missed it, please tell me!)
4, As far as I know the DVD still hasn't been released. The below info from 2017 seems 2B still the closest currently.

https://www.billboard.com/music/concert ... t-8030213/#!
Tower of Song: A Memorial Tribute to Leonard Cohen — named after a song on his 1988 album, I’m Your Man, and the title of a 1995 tribute album to his music — will air in Canada on CBC television on Jan. 3, and be released later as a documentary/DVD, directed by award-winner Jack Bender (Game of Thrones, Lost, The Sopranos). No U.S. broadcast date has been confirmed at this time.

btw - I've noticed the audio in now available for the ABC Radio National Australia interview.
They only speak about Leonard at the beginning and towards the end.

4, UB well 2 :)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

I was in a supermarket the other day when two unexpected LC related incidents most literally befell me. This supermarket is known for its unusual TV ads. Currently it has one running about an “Appleanche”. Yes, you’ve guessed it, an avalanche of apples. Well, truth is stranger than fiction - I knew I shouldn’t have chosen those two big, juicy looking apples precariously placed in the middle because I started an apple avalanche! Most embarrassing!
Moving further on with a wobbly-wheeled trolley I couldn’t control properly I hit a shelf in the coffee isle and an Avalanche branded packet of cappuccino fell off the shelf and into my trolley. After the recent apple avalanche episode, I took it as a sign and bought it too - I've never seen this brand ever before. I’m sipping a cup of it as I write this now – see the empty small packet below. Seems one can find symbols of LC in the most surprising places ;-)

Avalanche.jpg
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Bev, when the apples tumbled to the floor, did they land on your shoe and cover up your sole?

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Post by B4real »

its4inthemorning wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:51 pm Bev, when the apples tumbled to the floor, did they land on your shoe and cover up your sole?

Ha! You could certainly say,
“I was tumbled up with them
In formless circumstance”
... ;-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

You really can find LC in the most unexpected of places!
Hallelujah-in-cooking-programme.jpg
Last night I was watching the cooking programme above on TV when all of a sudden I heard the familiar opening notes of the Cohen Live version of Hallelujah! Who woulda thunk it!
Listen here at 15mins https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7yk0z3

The host spoke about how sad music can make you happy :( :D
.... now that's food for the soul ;-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Thu Apr 03, 1975 10:30 am Last night I was watching the cooking programme above on TV when all of a sudden I heard the familiar opening notes of the Cohen Live version of Hallelujah!...

"Romantically gloomy"? Ha-ha -- not really a bad description, I suppose! Chris the cameraman (the owner of the CD heard on that show) has great taste in music: "Cohen Live" is one of my absolute faves, with such fantastic versions of so many of my favourite songs -- "Joan of Arc" is particularly note-worthy on that album (I am often unable to resist singing along --out loud -- to the la...la-la-la-la-la-la... chorus, no matter where I may happen to be at the time). As you may recall, Bev, I discovered Leonard in 1988 or so when "I'm Your Man" came out (I was totally blown away!), perhaps which is why the performances on that album so appeal to me, being of that era. I think I shall listen to that album today -- I was just getting into it with Rick Stein when it stopped!

It makes me wonder: does reading a post about someone else's random LC moment count as a random LC moment in itself? Because, I kind of feel that way, for I had no idea what posts might be new when I came to the forum today, nor did know exactly what to expect when I clicked on this particular post, thus it was a totally unexpected delight -- a random LC moment that I am adoring, one might say!

P.S. As a strange coincidence, I noticed that the dish cooked by the host at the end of that TV programme was mussels, and I cooked mussels for my dinner last night. Odd.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Glad I delighted your day, Lisa!
Yes, I do remember you saying when you discovered Leonard. Cohen Live is also one of my favourite LC albums. I too wanted the song to play until the end.

You know, I sometimes wonder what really is a random moment. Or if, in fact, it really is random at all :)

I very occasionally watch food shows on TV but as I was looking through the programme the word “Cornwall” caught my eye because I have just, dare I say it, randomly discovered I have some ancestors from there. I was updating my family history and during that research I unexpectedly saw my first name written as a last name and it inadvertently led me to Cornwall, Norman Knights and some “Poldark” similarity connections. So interesting!

And your mussels coincidence is most interesting too! I actually had oysters!
The universe does indeed work in mysterious ways ;-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:22 am ...You know, I sometimes wonder what really is a random moment. Or if, in fact, it really is random at all...
...The universe does indeed work in mysterious ways...

I've often wondered the same thing about seemingly random moments, unexpected coincidences and connections between things and people, etc.. Whatever the nature or reality of these situations (I do not know what that may be, but I have a few theories about it!), it is usually quite a lot of fun and sometimes totally fascinating when one experiences them! (At least, it is enjoyable if they are good/positive...). Mysterious, indeed!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”