Worst ever LC tracks

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
mickey_one

Worst ever LC tracks

Postby mickey_one » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:07 pm

I know we Leonard Cohen fans can be a precious lot, but some of us have a few LC tracks we really dislike as well as the lots of many of lots we love and it is our duty to list the baddies here, without fear of either Jarkko banning us from the forums or Leonard banning us from his concerts, (ha! you are really scared he would do that, aren't you, admit it)

ok, here is my unfab four, in order of yuckiosity, so, yuckiest first, and with short explanations

1. Bird On The Wire, this is a dirge, dull and dull, I have only once been able to bear it when a friend sent me a French version, is there anything which doesn't sound better in French than English?

2. Jazz Police, if you have ever heard it you will understand why I choose this mistake as his near worst ever

3. Lady Midnight, see BONTW, same wrong booooring pace, and uninspired lyrics

4. You Know Who I Am, zzzzzzzz

I will not be releasing this quartet of shame as a Special Souvenir Cohen World Tour CD Bootleg. Instead I shall devote my time until the night of the intimate, and cosy, O2 gig praying he performs none of the above.

Sadly, because of the extraordinary bad taste of my fellow fans, I accept there is Ia real and present danger that I will be tortured on the night with lines like "I have saved all my ribbons for thee", HELLLLPPPPPPPP!
Partisan

Re: Worst ever LC tracks

Postby Partisan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:30 pm

is there anything which doesn't sound better in French than English?
Michael, of course not, but you are never supposed to actually say this. This is the real reason the English hate the French.

p.

p.s. never could see the fuss about Suzanne and The Guests.
BlizzardofIce

Postby BlizzardofIce » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:49 pm

1. Jazz Police
Yes, thank you for saying that. I like to believe this song is something Phils Spector wrote and put in the record without LC's knowledge.
2. The Captain
Really hate this one. The rythm really bugs me.
3. Don't go home with your hard-on
The title....Really, come oooon....? Please?
There are many ways a man can serve his time
mickey_one

Postby mickey_one » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:55 pm

partisan wrote:
is there anything which doesn't sound better in French than English?
Michael, of course not, but you are never supposed to actually say this. This is the real reason the English hate the French.

p.

p.s. never could see the fuss about Suzanne and The Guests.
you may be right, James. hope you and Marie are thriving!

Suzanne is overrated but hardly his worst, The Guests I likeish.
mickey_one

Postby mickey_one » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:56 pm

BlizzardofIce wrote:1. Jazz Police
Yes, thank you for saying that. I like to believe this song is something Phils Spector wrote and put in the record without LC's knowledge.
2. The Captain
Really hate this one. The rythm really bugs me.
3. Don't go home with your hard-on
The title....Really, come oooon....? Please?
2 good extra picks, Captain is mediocre, Hard-On is dire. I had forgotten it.
Myra

Postby Myra » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:02 pm

mickey_one wrote:
1. Bird On The Wire, this is a dirge, dull and dull, I have only once been able to bear it when a friend sent me a French version, is there anything which doesn't sound better in French than English?
How can you not like Bird on the Wire? I think your confused. Did Leonard sing the French version?
mickey_one

Postby mickey_one » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:08 pm

Myra wrote:
mickey_one wrote:
How can you not like Bird on the Wire? I think your confused. Did Leonard sing the French version?

I think it was Leonard singing it, but this was 10 years ago and my memory has fadeeeeeeeeeddd.

I love it that people have different tastes otherwise our lives would be as dull as...BOTW.

It was my pleasure recently to recite to Leonard himself the first verse,(all I could remember), of my poem dedicated to my dislike of that song. Sadly, he is a recidivist and I don't think my efforts will be sufficient to deter him at the concerts.
Last edited by mickey_one on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darling

Postby Darling » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:15 pm

Un Canadien Errant:
A good song, but Mexican trumpets ??????? I am not really a fan of Nana Mouskouri but her version is a zillion times better. Anyways, it would be nice to hear it sung by LC with better arrangements.*

Suzanne:
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who doesn't care for it. ZZZ...

*By the way, did you know that in the past (so when the song was written) 'Canadien' referred to French canadians only? Even now in some provinces like Saskatchewan, when older people from the small French minority says 'un canadien' they mean French canadian.
Sue

Postby Sue » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:58 am

The Butcher
The Baker
The Candlestick Maker
and Nancy
Sue

Postby Sue » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:09 am

Yes he did, il commence 'comme un oiseau sur la branche' which is French for bird on a branch but in the versions I have heard he merely recites the lines rather than sings them - probably because the French version does not fit the meter of the song. Comme tu vois I am a Diamond Mine of information on this topic - go on, ask me another
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:16 am

I have to say I find it totally inconceivable that anyone could be into Leonard, but not like "Bird on the Wire"...rather like being into Dylan, but not liking that erm... "Like Rolling Stone" song! For me, "Bird" is totally central to everything that Leonard has always stood for...My first Leonard album was "Songs from a Room" which I've always considered a faultless work, and I've loved "Bird" through it's various incarnations - most especially on "Live Songs", the gospelly version in the "Bird on a Wire" movie, and the later versions with the "don't cry" section. Still, different strokes for different folks, I guess! Leonard is such a perfectionist, that I find it hard to say that there is anything I really dislike about his work. Though, "On That Day" is probably my least favourite song.

All good things, John E
Darling

Postby Darling » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:55 am

John Etherington wrote:I have to say I find it totally inconceivable that anyone could be into Leonard, but not like "Bird on the Wire"...

Yeah, I like it too...
Joney

Postby Joney » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:26 am

I have to agree with John, I really don't like 'On that Day'
jimbo

Postby jimbo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:44 am

mickey one.................your full of s................
all L C ................. MUSIC is Cool ..............

Repent.................you know that s just what I meant.................
love is not forgotten......
mickey_one

Postby mickey_one » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:44 am

jimbo wrote:mickey one.................your full of s................
all L C ................. MUSIC is Cool ..............

Repent.................you know that s just what I meant.................

Hi Jimbo, do you really like Jazz Police? I think Leonard Cohen would be delighted to hear that.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”