Random LC moment I am adoring today

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
B4real

Re: Random LC moment I am adoring today

Post by B4real »

Last night I was again flicking TV channels when I came across LC singing The Partisan. Totally unexpected because I knew the plot of this New Zealand comedy film from a few years ago but hadn't actually watched it. It was his version from the album Songs From A Room with the overdubbed voices of three female French singers.

The Partisan sung in movie.png
Soundtrack listing - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8Ps8ZdW5Jx https://www.what-song.com/Movies/Soundt ... lderpeople

I hope everyone is staying safe inside and not getting eye strain from looking at too many digital devices :)

PS - I can't believe there are 550 people on the forum at the moment - there's usually only about 20!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Bev, I too watched the same movie and was taken by surprise when it came on.

When I heard the start of it, I thought, no it can’t be The Partisan, just a passing similarity, then sure enough, happily it unfolded to indeed be that song from Songs From A Room. 8)

It’s good to know you’re staying well too.

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Good to catch up with you, Andrew :D
Yes, given that movie was mainly a comedy you would not have expected The Partisan to be featured in it but on reflection, maybe there is some connection to the theme of it.

It seems to be safer here in Queensland than in Victoria - maybe you should come home ;-)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Bev, guess what, I flew up to Cairns on March 17th to celebrate a birthday milestone with my siblings, and as the Coronavirus scenario developed over the following days, I decided to stay up here, as fortunately my family had a spare house I could avail myself of... so I’m now ensconced up here, just up the coast from you now. 8)

Take good care,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ha! Andrew, I must have got a subconscious vibe from you ;-) Glad to see you're safe in the Sunshine State!
Speaking of Queensland and Victoria I'm listening to the ABC at the moment and they have a show on discussing how they could make a new Australian state called Queentoria. It instantly reminded me of LC's song Queen Victoria :)

Stay safe.

EDIT 18 April: Just thought I'd add there are thousands upon thousands of butterflies flying in the sky here - I've never seen so many ever! Maybe they're in Cairns too :)
Last edited by B4real on Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Bev, so happy to see that you're fine and well!

Having always been awed by your Cohen-knowledge and ability to dig up old trivia, I direct you to a question recently posed by RaymondJones in the "Everything Else" forum section about the 1976 Europe Tour. You may be the only one who can help RaymondJones out.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Post by B4real »

4, Thanks for your concern. It's fairly safe here but you still have to be on guard and follow the isolation rules.
At the moment from my window I’m watching sea eagles soar over the mangroves so gracefully - very peaceful ....
I hope you are also keeping safe over there.

Also thanks for your faith in my Cohen knowledge but I can't answer Raymond's question.
Maybe someone else can but it's a difficult one.

EDIT: I've linked our posts to his post.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Suddenly on Russian TV (I'm currently in Vologda, you may google, it's a beautiful old city):
200006300672_442811.jpg
:razz:
B4real

Post by B4real »

Half an hour ago, I was listening to some music on the radio when I decided to switch stations and randomly came across LC singing First We Take Manhattan. My local ABC radio was commemorating Leonard's birthday today with that song and some words about him. So nice to hear they did that!
paulbanks

Post by paulbanks »

B4real wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 am Half an hour ago, I was listening to some music on the radio when I decided to switch stations and randomly came across LC singing First We Take Manhattan. My local ABC radio was commemorating Leonard's birthday today with that song and some words about him. So nice to hear they did that!
Wow, that's really nice!
Hey there! Feel free to check out my www.bestessays.com website. You will find some great essays about Leonard Cohen there.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

20201004_183925.jpg

First We Take A Manhattan Then We Take A Berliner

A Berliner Weisse (sour beer) from Malmö! Here, in Saint Petersburg!
anne alexander

Post by anne alexander »

My daughter texted to say how she's enjoying Leonard Cohen at random on Alexa..listening to songs she hasn't heard before. She loves Leonard. I'm so glad I introduced her to Leonard. Just shows how relevant his words still are today.
Love you and miss you Leonard.
B4real

Post by B4real »

I was just looking at the local Australian TV guide for tonight and came across a movie who's title was familiar to me for the reason it was an introduction to Leonard's music for many people. It features both Hallelujah and First We Take Manhattan. Also it has some other good songs - See here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen: ... on_Picture

Watchmen.jpg
Interestingly, I have never seen this movie before, so you all know what I'll be doing tonight ;-)
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

B4real wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:09 am I was just looking at the local Australian TV guide for tonight and came across a movie who's title was familiar to me for the reason it was an introduction to Leonard's music for many people. It features both Hallelujah and First We Take Manhattan. Also it has some other good songs - See here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen: ... on_Picture

Watchmen.jpg

Interestingly, I have never seen this movie before, so you all know what I'll be doing tonight ;-)
we're twelve hours apart, so this space is alive all day.
elsewhere on this forum, i was suggested this ; i hope you can enjoy this in australia, too : https://live.philharmoniedeparis.fr/concert/1126927/
... precisely ...
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks for the link, pe. It’s so encouraging that people have not forgotten Leonard 8)

As for me watching “Watchman”, that movie is definitely not my style of entertainment. I could only endure it for a short length of time, as far as the song “The Sound of Silence”. But it takes all sorts of people to appreciate and remember Leonard and that’s really the main thing.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”