Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
its4inthemorning

Re: Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

Postby its4inthemorning » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:34 am

Re, "I know it sounds a little crazy that I would be so excited about hearing one song..."

If I recall, you were at least this excited when you first heard The Stranger Song!
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Postby B4real » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:59 am

Haha! Vickie, The title of this thread is Along the way... Discovering Leonard’s Albums etc and that’s exactly what you have done with Do I Have To Dance All Night :) I have mentioned this song many times over the years on the forum in different threads and thought I had done it here too, but not so! Coincidentally, the link below is my very first post on this forum and guess what it’s about ;-)
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 04#p175330

my favourite song in 2010 -
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... ht#p227857

As you probably now know, this song was actually officially released in Europe as a vinyl single with The Butcher on the flip side. btw – Allan S (Dr H) has championed this excellent song for many years! Check out the link below.

https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... ht#p218947
and updated album links -
https://cohencentric.com/2010/01/25/now ... hen-album/
https://cohencentric.com/2010/05/20/pre ... hen-album/

And this is interesting reading for that song and others -
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... ht#p318644

4, I had previously seen that most interesting 1970 link before too and was salivating at the prospect of one day hearing those recorded songs ….ah well, it’s a wishful thought!
btw - If you want to post a link from one thread to the other, just click on the title of the thread you want to get the info from, right click on that same title, copy then paste it into your message then post that normally. Do exactly the same thing if you only want an individual post in that thread.
And unfortunately, I don’t think Alan or myself here in the land of Oz can influence the MAC exhibition to come here.
Be for real. Free yourself to find the real Self ~~ Me
Happiness is like learning the violin, the more you practice it the more it comes to you ~~ Me
Without the heart, there can be no understanding between the hand and the mind ~~ Gore Vidal
its4inthemorning

Postby its4inthemorning » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:15 am

I was thinking about the Montreal Memorial Concert, and wondering when the powers that be will get around to releasing a DVD of the performance (soon I am hoping).

This led me to look around on youtube to see if any videos by concertgoers had been posted there, and I found several, but most were rather poor in qualiity. One, however, stuck out as being superior, not only because the videographer knew what he/she was doing, but because of the subject, Elvis Costello's performance of "The Future." Obviously his treatment is far different than Leonard's, but it is, I think, just a stunning performance.

I will try to put a link at the bottom, but you all know I am tech-challenged (despite B4's attempts to teach me such things), so if I fail, you should be able to easily find it by googling "Elvis Costello The Future."

Vickie, I've referred you to various videos I found interesting in the past--this will be the first one of a performance you have actually seen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH90tcT ... H90tcTwyzE
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
its4inthemorning

Postby its4inthemorning » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:33 am

Bev, would be interested in reading your 2012 post about your father if you could guide me to it.

vlcoats

Postby vlcoats » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:53 am

B4 and 4.... What a good lot of interesting links!!

I have been to a fair amount of concerts in my time, whenever able, but I have never heard of an artist repeating so many songs within the same concert like mentioned in that one link of yours B4! How interesting!! And yes, a little weird, in a good way.

After reading those links about Do I Have to Dance All Night ..my status as a newbie has seldom been so obvious to me as now....

Considering my enrapturement with Leonard, you would think I would be devouring everything on the forum from the beginning of time until now, but I have hardly begun to read the forum at all except for our thread and a couple others. I don't know if it is because I still don't feel qualified to join in, even as an observer, or if it is because I like pretending that I don't have to share him with so many others... Knowing me, it's probably the latter. :)

Thank you 4, for the Elvis Costello link! I too can't wait for an official recording of the concert to be released! Dave was just asking me yesterday when that would be!

We were just watching something tonight on PBS where the travel show host Samantha Brown went to Montreal, but there was no mention of Leonard. How can that be!?
Vickie
B4real

Postby B4real » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 am

4, put your glasses on ;-) I wrote "above in my 2012 post" - so simply cast your eyes in that direction :)
It's only a few lines anyway.

Vickie, you're an old hand here now :)
Spread your wings and fly over the threads and feel free to land and talk on any one that takes your fancy!
Be for real. Free yourself to find the real Self ~~ Me
Happiness is like learning the violin, the more you practice it the more it comes to you ~~ Me
Without the heart, there can be no understanding between the hand and the mind ~~ Gore Vidal

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”