Title song 'You Want It Darker'

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
cohenadmirer

Re: Title song 'You Want It Darker' now on YouTube and Spotify etc

Post by cohenadmirer »

JudasPriest wrote:Ah yes, that article...not at all sure he's right about that "edit" at 2.06 as the very slight background distortion occurs in the middle of the word "murder" from what I can make out. An edit or splice would surely occur just before or after a word, not inbetween. I reckon it's a very minor glitch at most and doesn't at all interfere with a rich and rewarding sonic experience.
There may well be an edit after the word tame .It may be done for an effect that is deliberate or accidental
I'm really not sure .
I didn't hear it at all until i put on my 'expensive' headphones
It doesn't matter much , the whole is magnificent, Lyrics that will take some time to work out, and then the ' work out' will just be in terms of personal meaning

A stunning birthday gift in reverse.
I know what i'll be doing on October 21st
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Not convinced there is an edit after "Tame" because one can hear a very sharp intake of breath before the continuation but if there is one at that point it seems to me to be very well done. Whatever, I'm getting anal again when no need- this is a superb piece of art as delivered: embrace.
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

Does it really matter one bit if there was an edit or there were multiple takes of his vocal track? (not directed at you Judas but at the NPR article). Punching in vocals is a common practice in recording to begin with. And regardless, it takes not an iota away from the brilliance of this song or the performance. It's weird that the author of that NPR article chose to focus on that as if it belied some kind of weakness. The track is masterful and sounds great.
lightning

Post by lightning »

I suspect Leonard is saying something to us about how we human beings cooperate with the dark force, "we kill the flame."
He is addressing the Hebrew deity in most of the song, concluding with "Hineini" " which is what Abraham spoke when God asked him to sacrifice his son Isaac to test of his fidelity, "Here I Am," implies "at your service," a total submission to His will however cruel, insane or incomprehensible it may seem. Religions promise peace of mind for such acceptance.

But does the God of the scriptures want it darker? Didn't he once create a major flood when things got too dark? For Sodom destruction , Lots wife a pillar of salt? Or is it mortals who bring on the darkness by killing the flame?

Leonard describes the darkness in the lives of mortals, the crucifixion of God as man, Jesus, the refusal of the Deity to answer prayers for help and love ( " candles burning for the help (love) that never came."), the same miserable ending to every lover's story ( either break-up or death), Jehovah's endorsement of murder and war, ( wipe- out of the ancient Amalekites extended to present day dealings with Palestine) the hidden evil in the seemingly tame middle class, then he refers to the scriptures, where the blame is laid on human sin for its sorry lot, paradoxically, because God is described as all powerful, so is it not His doing?
Once again he goes back to his card game dealer metaphor we first met in The Stranger Song. "Let me out of the game, I'm ready my lord" may be a wish for death, or a wish to escape the destruction which is the consequence of sin ( "killing the flame" .)
He concludes with submission to his Lord, total acceptance, "If It Be Your Will," "the Holy or the Broken Hallelujah."
We can only hope that this acceptance brings him the peace of mind and sanctification he has earned.
Last edited by lightning on Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlanM

Re: Title song 'You Want It Darker' now on Spotify etc

Post by AlanM »

Thank you for the link, Roman.
I have been listening endlessly and I think I will be listening endlessly to the full CD when I get my hands on it.
I thought it was a cute addition to the album cover picture used in the VEVO/YouTube version, to have the end of the cigarette actually glowing, with a wisp of smoke wafting up.
Roll on October 21st!

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

yopietro wrote:Does it really matter one bit if there was an edit or there were multiple takes of his vocal track? (not directed at you Judas but at the NPR article). Punching in vocals is a common practice in recording to begin with. And regardless, it takes not an iota away from the brilliance of this song or the performance. It's weird that the author of that NPR article chose to focus on that as if it belied some kind of weakness. The track is masterful and sounds great.
Couldn't agree more with you mate. I said pretty much exactly the same thing on another forum in response to that NPR article - the tone of the piece and its focus makes me really angry.

It seems there is no way to reply to the article on the site, but if I could I would ask the writer whether they wrote the piece in one take with no changes.

Leonard Cohen just turned 82 and is gifting us with art of such quality it is staggering. And humbling. Respect is due.
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

Bennyboy wrote:
yopietro wrote:Does it really matter one bit if there was an edit or there were multiple takes of his vocal track? (not directed at you Judas but at the NPR article). Punching in vocals is a common practice in recording to begin with. And regardless, it takes not an iota away from the brilliance of this song or the performance. It's weird that the author of that NPR article chose to focus on that as if it belied some kind of weakness. The track is masterful and sounds great.
Couldn't agree more with you mate. I said pretty much exactly the same thing on another forum in response to that NPR article - the tone of the piece and its focus makes me really angry.

It seems there is no way to reply to the article on the site, but if I could I would ask the writer whether they wrote the piece in one take with no changes.

Leonard Cohen just turned 82 and is gifting us with art of such quality it is staggering. And humbling. Respect is due.
It pissed me off too. Would love to see your reply below the article. Respect is certainly due Leonard. And seems this album will be quite the staggering gift.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Lightning - Yours is an excellent take on Leonard's new song, which articulates many of my initial presumptions. I've listened to it twice, but will leave it now till I buy the album, as I like to absorb a new work as a whole.
Cate

Post by Cate »

cohenadmirer wrote: A stunning birthday gift in reverse.
It was! What a nice surprise yesterday morning.

Lightning, like John I really enjoyed reading your take on the song.

That song would have stopped me in my tracks no matter who had sung it. I can't believe this man's work ethic, I want to harness some of that and be more focussed in thought and action
fusional

Post by fusional »

Wow.

It's brilliant, isn't it?
Tamaraz

Post by Tamaraz »

oh my goodness, oh my goodness.....I LOVE THIS SONG.....

ok Im going to say something, and I know some wont agree, and I know I could be very wrong, and I also know Im biased - so Im saying all of that upfront - but it would not surprise me one bit if Leonard Cohen had a late life conversion to roman catholic or eastern orthodox....his interest in, understanding of, and writing about the gospels and Jesus - its so deep and he clearly has a passion for it. Now - it could simply be he has a passion for it and not a "belief" per se - I accept that - but Im just saying - if it happened - it wouldn't surprise me! :)
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

Tamaraz wrote:oh my goodness, oh my goodness.....I LOVE THIS SONG.....

ok Im going to say something, and I know some wont agree, and I know I could be very wrong, and I also know Im biased - so Im saying all of that upfront - but it would not surprise me one bit if Leonard Cohen had a late life conversion to roman catholic or eastern orthodox....his interest in, understanding of, and writing about the gospels and Jesus - its so deep and he clearly has a passion for it. Now - it could simply be he has a passion for it and not a "belief" per se - I accept that - but Im just saying - if it happened - it wouldn't surprise me! :)
Only Leonard could speak for himself, but I highly doubt he has had any kind of religious conversion. Leonard has always affirmed that he is a Jew. Of course that doesn't preclude him in his life from using Christian imagery or from a devoted practice to the tenets of zen buddhism. Being Jewish doesn't not mean that one can't have a deep appreciation for the story of Jesus (or for the Buddha for that matter).
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

yopietro wrote:
Tamaraz wrote:oh my goodness, oh my goodness.....I LOVE THIS SONG.....

Only Leonard could speak for himself, but I highly doubt he has had any kind of religious conversion. Leonard has always affirmed that he is a Jew. Of course that doesn't preclude him in his life from using Christian imagery or from a devoted practice to the tenets of zen buddhism. Being Jewish doesn't not mean that one can't have a deep appreciation for the story of Jesus (or for the Buddha for that matter).
I think it's called spread betting.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Possibly the disciplines of all the time on Mount Baldy ,
which in the secular world we call 'mindfulness'
is still helping living with the physical pain as well as reducing the potential for psychological pain.
So glad to hear he is experiencing joy in the moment inspite of the inevitability of what is likely to be severe back pain

Given the new reports it looks like daily pain is something he has to find a way to live with , rather than holding out for some ' cure' ,though i hope he's getting the best medical interventions possible .
Very sad to hear those reports , and very glad it is not totally dominating his life .
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Really enjoying this song. I am feeling the connection to this work much more strongly than to his recent albums. Can't wait to hear the rest, as I was not lucky enough to attend the event and get a sneak preview!
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept

Return to “You Want It Darker”