Title song 'You Want It Darker'

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
JudasPriest

Re: Title song 'You Want It Darker' now on Spotify etc

Post by JudasPriest »

Not that I need it as this is perfect but any idea when/where the remix is available?
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Agree re the production by the way, very classy. The. Track itself is in the spirit of Nevermind- no bad thing being the best track on PP in my book.

Think the volume on this album is slightly lower than PP too.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Cantor Zelermyer talks about his part on Leonard's new album. Read the interview and listen to the Cantor talk about his experience and sing his portion for the Montreal Gazette. Just lovely to be in Leonard's childhood synagogue and to hear the Cantor sing.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... -new-album
Marie
Speaking Cohen
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Title song 'You Want It Darker' now on YouTube and Spotify etc

Post by jarkko »

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

"Hear Leonard Cohen's Mesmerizing New Song 'You Want It Darker'
Veteran releases title track from new LP on 82nd birthday"

"Rolling Stone" comments all tracks of the album at http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... er-w441274

Thanks to Tom for the link
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

jarkko wrote:Image
It's a strange choice of artwork, rather like an old jazz release - reminds me a bit of Blues And The Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson, or the kind of cubism of a Max Weber.

I like it though - even if the shadow does make it look like he's missing most of a leg.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

It's a subtle detail but I just love the bass at the start of and during the track. Sets the tone and immediately takes the emphasis away from the synth mode of yesteryear.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Translations:

Italian, by Yuri Garrett - http://www.leonardcohen.it/discografia/ ... it-darker/

Russian, by Sergey Gorskiy - https://vk.com/topic-815574_2493138?post=653
phillip

Post by phillip »

wow amazing cant wait for the album :)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

When I thought through the years, 'this is my favorite', LC has a way of moving me along with his music. Now, this glorious piece. Hallelujah!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Ah yes, that article...not at all sure he's right about that "edit" at 2.06 as the very slight background distortion occurs in the middle of the word "murder" from what I can make out. An edit or splice would surely occur just before or after a word, not inbetween. I reckon it's a very minor glitch at most and doesn't at all interfere with a rich and rewarding sonic experience.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Wow!! This is truly a masterpiece of unsurpassable beauty, brilliance, innovation, depth - everything about it is so incredibly haunting & gorgeous. Amazing creativity. Grateful as I am to have heard it in Amsterdam, it is even more powerful hearing it through a good headset with really good quality sound (to my ears, the speaker in Amsterdam had some kind of strange vibe coming through); but I loved it immediately in Amsterdam (even with the weird speaker), & I love it even more now, & am so looking forward to hearing the rest of the album again. . .& again. . .!!

You are breaking my heart again, Mr. Cohen, & I am eternally grateful to you for it.
holydove

Post by holydove »

JudasPriest wrote:Ah yes, that article...not at all sure he's right about that "edit" at 2.06 as the very slight background distortion occurs in the middle of the word "murder" from what I can make out. An edit or splice would surely occur just before or after a word, not inbetween. I reckon it's a very minor glitch at most and doesn't at all interfere with a rich and rewarding sonic experience.
I agree with you, judaspriest. I don't think it's even necessarily background distortion - it could be just the way Leonard happened to sing/pronounce the word at that moment. But whatever it is, it really doesn't matter & it doesn't detract from the beauty, strength or richness of the sound at all. I've learned to pretty much ignore the inane things some reviewers tend to put out there.
dalsh327

Post by dalsh327 »

Ratso Sloman & Neil Ratner posted it a few hours ago. Magnificent.

Return to “You Want It Darker”