New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
Hartmut

Re: New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Post by Hartmut »

Wow, what an article. Thanks.

I find those paragraphs especially interesting where Dylan "play(s) the role of music critic".
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

However, interesting to note that Dylan mistakenly describes Sisters of Mercy as opening in the minor key. It doesn't. It opens with a major chord. It may seem insignificant, but from a musician's perspective on this conversation, where one titan of songwriting is describing another's craft, it's an odd error for him to have made.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

yopietro wrote:interesting to note that Dylan mistakenly describes Sisters of Mercy as opening in the minor key
Yes, I also noticed that. But I think Dylan simply mixed up the first and the second line. The first line uses major chords, the second line minor chords.
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

Hartmut wrote:
yopietro wrote:interesting to note that Dylan mistakenly describes Sisters of Mercy as opening in the minor key
Yes, I also noticed that. But I think Dylan simply mixed up the first and the second line. The first line uses major chords, the second line minor chords.
Could be. But as you know, the first chord of a song really establishes its tone. And whether the song leans in a minor key mood or major key mood. (Dance me to the End of Love or Sisters of Mercy for example). Sisters of Mercy would be a completely different song if that first chord were to be a minor. In fact, I just tried it on piano. It changes the whole thing.
Dylan doesn't let anything get printed without his own people's editorial review. Someone should have told him!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Well, it's the only explanation I can come up with.
yopietro wrote: Dylan doesn't let anything get printed without his own people's editorial review.
I didn't know that.
yopietro wrote: Someone should have told him!
Indeed.
nynke

Post by nynke »

Sadly, there’s some evidence on Dylan’s more recent albums of a lack of willingness to challenge irritating foul-ups (the second chord of ‘Spirit on the water’, to quote one example), but this one we can surely put down to a simple mistake? If you change ‘major’ and ‘minor’ around, his comments on the musical structure of ‘Sisters of mercy’ are accurate and perceptive, and the attention he gives to Cohen the musician seems insightful, generous, and a welcome balance to the prevailing focus on Cohen the poet. The comparison with Irving Berlin is an interesting one, to say the least, and Dylan even in his most contrarian and mischief-making role is always worth paying attention to.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Another anomaly maybe - Leonard says "my daughter and her children"......
Not meaning to be too personal, but I thought she had only a singular child and not plural.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Maybe she's quite a handful.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hartmut wrote:Maybe she's quite a handful.
:lol:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Great read .
Thanks for posting it.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hartmut wrote:Maybe she's quite a handful.
I second Bev's :lol:

Or, given that Rufus & his partner live in the house too, maybe they are her other "children"? (No offense intended, of course. . .)

Thanks for posting the article, Marie. Very well-written, moving & profound, & yes, like the one in Macleans, at times quite heartbreaking. . .
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

holydove wrote:Or, given that Rufus & his partner live in the house too, maybe they are her other "children"?
Quite possible that he meant it like that. Maybe a Freudian slip. - If the quote in the article is correct in the first place.

***the quote is correct. Leonard has three grandchildren./ Jarkko***
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

***the quote is correct. Leonard has three grandchildren./ Jarkko***

Well, yes, but not all of them are his daughter's children, as far as I know.

Yes, Adam has one son. / Jarkko
woody

Post by woody »

Amazing article. also amazing quotes from dylan, i'm not sure i've ever heard him speak so lucidly about another artist before it's quite an honour. im little disconcerted about the section where he balled out the interviewer for being late however- not sure what to think of it but for some reason it made me a little sad.
Last edited by woody on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Hartmut wrote:***the quote is correct. Leonard has three grandchildren./ Jarkko***

Well, yes, but not all of them are his daughter's children, as far as I know.

Yes, Adam has one son. / Jarkko
Oh, ok, so Lorca has two children. I didn't know that. And it's also none of my business. :-) - So it seems the article was right, after all.

Return to “You Want It Darker”