New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
JudasPriest

Re: New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Post by JudasPriest »

woody wrote:Amazing article. also amazing quotes from dylan, i'm not sure i've ever heard him speak so lucidly about another artist before it's quite an honour. im little disconcerted about the section where he balled out the interviewer for being late however- not sure what to think of it but for some reason it made me a little sad.
Yeah- seemed very un-Leonard like. That said, that amount of back pain is bound to get to you sooner rather later.
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

JudasPriest wrote:
woody wrote:Amazing article. also amazing quotes from dylan, i'm not sure i've ever heard him speak so lucidly about another artist before it's quite an honour. im little disconcerted about the section where he balled out the interviewer for being late however- not sure what to think of it but for some reason it made me a little sad.
Yeah- seemed very un-Leonard like. That said, that amount of back pain is bound to get to you sooner rather later.
I actually appreciated the fact that his burst of anger was left in the article. It prevents the piece from being a hagiography and painting our man as a saint. It humanizes him. We all hold him in such high esteem, as such a paragon of wisdom, that I'm sure he would be the first to remind us that he is a flawed human being just like the rest of us, prone to fits of anger and whatnot.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Agreed. It lent authenticity to the piece. I was also a little uncomfortable at him merely describing Roshi as "naughty" when perhaps something stronger was required.

Overall though, a memorable article which almost doubles as a mini biography.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
Clementine wrote: I was just metres from Leonard, in the front row in Auckland, 21 December 2013, and as he finally skipped off stage I just knew in my heart that this was truly the last time.
That's exactly how I felt Clementine. (I must have been sat very close to you in the centre front.)

Wendy
I was at the Christchurch concert the previous week, and had I had any inkling it might be the last time I'd have got up off the couch and gone to Wellington and Auckland. But I watched him that night and decided he was immortal. He seemed undiminished from previous years. Yet my friend felt Leonard had aged noticeably from the 2010 concert we also both attended.
B4real

Post by B4real »

3 - 1 = 2.............Thanks for that diplomatic mathematical clarification, Jarkko :)

On an entirely different subject I like the sound of these future plans -
Cohen has unpublished poems to arrange, unfinished lyrics to finish and record or publish. He's considering doing a book in which poems, like pages of the Talmud, are surrounded by passages of interpretation.
That could maybe mean poems with companion commentary questions and/or answers relating to them with proof to the affirmative or negative. A thought springs to mind of Death of a Lady's Man not because of its contents but of the interaction between the poems/prose and their associated commentary.

Whether those unfinished lyrics are poems, songs or both, I look forward to them being completed.
But more importantly, stay strong Leonard!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Meonia

Post by Meonia »

Are there any Tourplans, and will Leonard come to Denmark in 2017

***No. / Jarkko***
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

*sigh* well I wish I had the words to encompass all that this article has left me feeling, some weaving of being deeply moved by the spirit of the enterprise and being arrested at such bare expressions acknowledging the finalities. On the one hand, to see yet try to keep doing in the face of an inevitability that we all face, to still take on that responsibility, no matter what the stage of being able to respond, is stirring to witness, so human and soulful. On the other, that the door beyond which we don't get to witness is frankly closer is just hard to read. It's not only about the creative output, exemplary though it is, it's the dignity in the attempt with which it and the moments of daily life are conducted that leave me teary eyed yet smiling. (The latter includes the surprising, stern and all-too-human irritability of an elder who doesn't suffer tardiness, no matter the details, however legitimate; time and temperament loom and figure differently in different states and stages. It is clear there's none to waste).
I admire the admission, but as much the embers of 'and yet'...

It is encouraging to read that Leonard's inner life is calm, though there are physical challenges - what a bargain, man. Leonard's health is in my thoughts and however that can transfer energy and alleviate physical discomfort, the thoughts remain present.

Here's to second winds and to the fullness of life and to the completion of endeavors in a way that satisfies Leonard.

My gratitude for it all...

Thank you OP for posting this article.
Will... If It Be Your Will
sereneava

Post by sereneava »

Thank you Marie for posting those photos here. I saw the last photo first and felt sad to see Leonard looking so frail but the other two made me smile and feel happier to see that life and joy still in him. Here's hoping his health improves. Constant pain is horrible.
meglos2000

Post by meglos2000 »

Would love to hear the press conference.

Any chance audio or video will be put up here?
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Folks in the US can listen to the streaming of the new album You Want It Darker on NPR. Here's their tweet:

NPR ‏@NPR
Preview the new album from Leonard Cohen, "You Want It Darker."
http://n.pr/2dBh7Uy

In Canada, the songs are available for streaming on CBC. Their tweet:

CBC Music | First Play: Leonard Cohen, You Want it Darker
http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/14478/first-pnard-cohen
Marie
Speaking Cohen
hadley

Post by hadley »

Thanks for those links Marie :D

Here's one that seems to work from anywhere, though perhaps not North Korea I'm not sure :lol:

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/ ... -it-darker
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

hadley wrote:Thanks for those links Marie :D

Here's one that seems to work from anywhere, though perhaps not North Korea I'm not sure :lol:

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/ ... -it-darker

Working!!! Thank you!
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Great reassuring pics and quotes.
But a delicious dilemma whether to play the stream or wait for the cd ?
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

Leaving the table, is such a wonderful sad song, an instant hit hit hit hit
The Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

My god. Folks this album is as good as advertised. I'm on my second listening now. The production is super tasteful. The orchestrations well arranged with no whiff of synthesizer. The lyrics are as expected, superb. And these songs. These songs. They really burrow straight into your heart. This is a top tier Leonard Cohen album. And in light of the recent articles in the New Yorker and MacCleans, this record hits home in a deeper way.

Return to “You Want It Darker”