Walking weekend in Yorkshire 2019

Everything about our biennial Walking Weekends in just one record-long thread!
Yorkshire Lad

Walking weekend in Yorkshire 2019

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Hi Everyone

Following the success of past walking weekends I have been given the opportunity to organise the 2019 Walking Weekend in my home town in Yorkshire England. The event will take place on the weekend of Leonard’s birthday (Friday 20th Sept through to Monday 23rd Sept 2019 )

As is tradition participants from previous events were given the first chance to register and as expected there was a fantastic take up. However I can announce that there is a limited number of places available which will be on a first come first served basis. Once these places have been filled (by payment of the registration fee ) a waiting list will then be opened in case of any cancellations.

If any one is interested if they could contact me on email : liptrotp@gmail.com I will forward them all the details of how to register, how to book the hotel and also a brief itinerary of the events.

Many thanks
Philip Liptrot /Yorkshire Lad
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Olwen

Re: Walking weekend in Yorkshire 2019

Post by Olwen »

Philip
Email sent. 😊
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
Yorkshire Lad

Re: Walking weekend in Yorkshire 2019 - Participants list

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Following a request from one of the attendees of the walking weekend here is a list of all those who have paid their registration fee and therefore will be attending ! Please excuse any spelling mistakes as some of the names are rather difficult to fathom :

List updated August 21th.

Philip and Jean Liptrot
Janet Daykin
Brid Brophy
Caren Gutschmidt and Hans Kloss
Joe and Anne Way
Dave Everatt
Harold Weinrauch and Regina Bartsch
Sinikka Hiljanen
Pentti and Maire Vainio
Jarkko and Eija Arjatsalo
Willy and Wybe Lageveen
Tom O’Leary and Bernie
Ute Egle
Conny Volk
Linda and John Morris
Ciaran and Beatriz
Sheila O’Mahoney
Jim Devlin
Christelle
Helen McSweeney and partner
Diane Williams Diedre Mellon
Ann and Eddy Massa
Paula Jenkins and sister
Ine Van Gorkum and Lia Van Zwietering
Henning Franz
Christoph Franz
Ken Forsyth
Tony and Wendy Marshall
Mary Creasey
Janet Armstrong

We have now 46 participants. Unfortunately there have been a few cancellations, so technically there is still room if any one is still interested .
* once again please excuse any spelling errors and if you would like me to correct them please get in touch
If I have inadvertently missed anyone’s name please inform me ASAP
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Hi Walkers
Just an update on the hotel ! Thanks to Henning it has come to my attention that the link for booking no longer applies as the hotel has left the QGroup . However this in no way affects the arrangement we have with them !
However anybody who wants to book going forward will have to do it by contacting the hotel directly either by phoning and asking for reservations on
01226 744700 (remember to make the nessessary changes to the code if ringing from Europe )
or by emailing Hope Farley at : hfarley@tankersleymanorsheffield.co.uk
Many thanks
Phil
PS : I realise there is a long way to go before September but I think it best to mention that the room allocation for our event will be reduced 3 months prior to it taking place and will be taken off completely 1month prior to the event . This does not mean rooms won’t be available after this date but it does mean getting a room will not be guarnenteed
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Hi Everybody I have been informed that some people have been quoted ridiculous prices for the train journey from Manchester airport to Sheffield . I have just googled the.... trainline.com and the prices are under ten pounds ! PLEASE DO NOT PAY THESE SILLY PRICES !
There are other online apps that can be downloaded in order to obtain tickets and you usually save money if you book early so my advice would be to book sooner rather than later ! Another alternative is the coach . The journey is longer but it’s better than paying silly train fares !
I would appreciate you contacting me if you have any difficulty so I can advise
Many thanks
Phil
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Hi Walkers
It has come to my attention that anyone travelling from Manchester to either Barnsley or Sheffield would be advised to book the train fare now as there is a considerable difference in the price by booking early .
For example
Today you can get a single ticket leaving at 12.42 for £6.45 while the price on the day is somewhere in the region of £20
Many thanks
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Hi Yorkshire Lad,

Is it better to go by train from Manchester to Barnsley or to Sheffield ?

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Hi Wybe
Although Barnsley is closer to the venue Sheffield would be the preferred option as it is easier to get from Manchester to Sheffield than Barnsley . Trains from Manchester do not go directly to Barnsley but they do to Sheffield . Also some off peak trains do not stop at Elsecar on the Barnsley route where as as far as I know all trains the other way (Sheffield to Barnsley ) stop at Elsecar .
I hope this gives you clarity Wybe but if not don’t hesitate to ask for further clarification .
Nearer to the time I will post a timetable for the Sheffield to Barnsley route although the trains are pretty regular through the day
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

MY WIFE HAS JUST REMINDED ME THAT WHEN YOU PURCHASE YOUR TICKET FOR SHEFFIELD AT MANCHESTER IF YOU ASK FOR ELSECAR YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO PURCHASE ONE IN SHEFFIELD AND THE COST WILL BE THE SAME PROBALY THEREFORE SAVING YOU THE £5 FARE FROM SHEFFIELD TO ELSECAR
Sorry if this has caused any confusion
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Whichever way you choose to purchase your ticket once you arrive at Sheffield you will have to catch a different train to Elsecar . The trains are every 30 minutes and run from platform 4a ( please check that but I think I am correct ) the journey lasts approx 15 minutes . Once you arrive at Elsecar there should be someone waiting in the park and ride to take you by car to the hotel . If by any chance no one is there please telephone either jean or myself and we can arrange for someone to pick you up
Jean07748977432
Philip 07768687466
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

WE ARE FIVE WEEKS AWAY FROM THE EVENT SO I THINK IT A GOOD IDEA TO MENTION THAT DUE TO A NUMBER OF CANCELLATIONS THERE IS A LIMITED NUMBER OF PLACES AVAILABLE . IF ANY ONE KNOWS OF SOMEONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN COMING TO YORKSHIRE FOR WHAT I HOPE WILL BE A FUN WEEKEND PLEASE CONTACT ME ON
liptrotp@gmail.com and I will send you details of how to book
Many thanks
Yorkshire lad
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Although it is our intention on arrival and departure days to ferry everyone from the train station to the hotel and back again with friends and family who have offered to help in this regard there might be a circumstance where this might not be possible for say we are in York on the Monday or if someone is leaving on the Sunday or even if someone would like to take a trip out etc (although time is very limited in this regard ) even so here are three telephone numbers of taxi companies you might like to write down to have on hand

CROFT TAXIS. 01226360500
MERIDIAN. 01226741397
BULLET TAXIS 01226361631
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Although time will be limited due to the walking and trips out I still think it’s worth reminding the more active among you that there is a spa and pool where you can keep up your fitness regime so don’t forget your swimming costumes and gym wear . Personally I prefer to do my exercises in the bar !
harald

Post by harald »

Hi wanderers
Thanks for all your advices on booking train tickets!
I have completed our railway bookings.
Manchester Apt. to Liverpool with thetrainline.com:
advantage: etickets which you can print out or download to your smart phone
Liverpool to Elsecar with trainsplit.com:
you have to collect your tickets at a railway station, but their software finds good solutions for more complicated routes
Elsecar to Manchester Apt. with tpexpress.co.uk:
ticket collection at the station, they are slightly cheaper than thetrainline
Mind that some companies give prices in Pounds while others in Euros.
Except for trainsplit it seemed better to book Sheffield-Elsecar on separate tickets.
In whole train booking for England seemed rather complicated, not really comfortable for the customer with the different companies and websites. One should play a bit around to get an idea of prices and possibilities.
See you soon ...
Harald
(Regina and me are due to arrive at Elsecar on Friday 20 at 14:09 with the train from Huddersfield)
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

We booked this:
Les then 10 GBP per person.
Sheffield > Elsecar
Sheffield > Elsecar
Knipsel1.JPG (17.18 KiB) Viewed 8818 times
Manchester P > Sheffield
Manchester P > Sheffield
Knipsel2.JPG (20.1 KiB) Viewed 8818 times
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++

Return to “Walking Weekends (2009 - 2023)”