LC Walking Weekend (2009 - 2017)

Everything about our biennial Walking Weekends in just one record-long thread!
liverpoolken

Re: LC Walking Weekend (2009, 2011)

Postby liverpoolken » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:46 pm

...i would love to sign up for this event but i'm going to have to wait until a week or two before the time in case leonard is touring in 2013....i'm still waiting to hear if leonard is going to be on tour next week before i dare make an appointment with my doctor for my annual check-up......ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
trish

Postby trish » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:37 pm

liverpoolken wrote:...i would love to sign up for this event but i'm going to have to wait until a week or two before the time in case leonard is touring in 2013....i'm still waiting to hear if leonard is going to be on tour next week before i dare make an appointment with my doctor for my annual check-up......ta ken
Wah!!! :lol: Ken you have made me guffaw out loud! Love it!!!!!! :lol:

On a serious note, that's great that this is happening, it will be fab! Looking forward to doing it all again in the rolling HILLS of Connemara (no steep mountains, LOL). And yes this will be a great music fest. Ken, you know that Connemara is also a Gaeltacht area so you will be able wear your fáinne and converse as Gaeilge (Joe will be very impressed!). Fair play to Joe for taking this on, it will be great.
denise knowles

Postby denise knowles » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:11 pm

If you all don't mind I would like to tag along on this walk, depending on time and money, and other snags that pop up in our lifes. :D
Denise.
liverpoolken

Postby liverpoolken » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:10 pm

....sure thing trish if leonard isn't touring i'll be there with me lapel full of metal including me BVB supporter's badge...and me pioneer pin for abstinence...along with me fáinne that i got for more for my willingness to speak the tongue than for fluency. in it... and of course me old white star i got from the priests for not cursing... feckin' jaysus that was a hard one to get my hands on.....ta ken
trish

Postby trish » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 pm

liverpoolken wrote:....sure thing trish if leonard isn't touring i'll be there with me lapel full of metal including me BVB supporter's badge...and me pioneer pin for abstinence...along with me fáinne that i got for more for my willingness to speak the tongue than for fluency. in it... and of course me old white star i got from the priests for not cursing... feckin' jaysus that was a hard one to get my hands on.....ta ken
:lol: Ken, make sure that you either put that jacket in your checked-in luggage or it will cause chaos at the airport security screening! While down in Connemara, you may be able to get some comhrá ('ko-raw'.. conversation) in and work your way up from the blue fáinne to the gold (for fluent) one like the Queen :) And what about your nordic walking sticks.. aren't they metal too? But sure all that baggage is nothing compared to Tinderella - I hear she's bringing her sofa! Denise, yes it's a long time between now and then, who knows what will happen. Will Leonard tour before then? Will Ken be able to make it?? (dramatic music - Eastenders theme to close..... or should it be The Killing theme? Anyway you know what I mean)
tinderella

Postby tinderella » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Ha ha Trish, I don't know who is funnier you or Ken.... I was hoping we could keep this tour on the hush hush for a while, just between former walkers lol but the flood gates have opened.

Oh by the way, Denise, i am not saying that cos you said you wanted to come, the more the merrier but I just think it is easier to maintain and organise when the numbers are not too out of hand.

I just hope it is limited to 40 like in Haiger as more than that and I can just see mass chaos ensuing :)

Hope i have not hurt anyones feelings by saying that... but usually it works on the premise of asking former walkers first, then LC friends that may be interested and then friends of walkers that may be interersted? did i get that right?
Yorkshire Lad

Postby Yorkshire Lad » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:03 am

tinderella wrote: Hope i have not hurt anyones feelings by saying that... but usually it works on the premise of asking former walkers first, then LC friends that may be interested and then friends of walkers that may be interersted? did i get that right?
To the organising committee :
Could I request a place on the Connemarra walking tour for my mother . She will be 93 when it takes place but we have just fitted a two stroke engine to her zimmer frame so the walks should be a doddle and she sleeps with a bottle of Johnny Walker under her pillow every night so I think we can assume she will be able to drink most of us under the table in the evenings . Unfortunately she is not a member of Leonards fan club ( she prefers Matt Monroe ) but she is related to someone who is so I suppose that counts as a friend . The only problem I envisage is finding a ruck sack big enough to hold all her tablets and a pair of walking boots that are wide fitting to take account of her bunnions .
When you have reached a desicion could you let her know ASAP so she can start walkig briskly round the grounds of her nursing home !
YL
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
liverpoolken

Postby liverpoolken » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:42 am

...i forgot to mention the lovely badge that father o'malley gave me for sitting on his knee every sunday afternoon....ta ken
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 am

Oh by the way, Denise, i am not saying that cos you said you wanted to come, the more the merrier but I just think it is easier to maintain and organise when the numbers are not too out of hand.
. . .
Hope i have not hurt anyones feelings by saying that... but usually it works on the premise of asking former walkers first, then LC friends that may be interested and then friends of walkers that may be interersted? did i get that right?
Sorry to jump the gun. I was under the impression that these walks welcomed all Forumers. I got so excited when I thought of Ireland and Connemarra. So, if it's not too late to make a plane reservation and other plans, I hope there will be space open in the end. I'd sure like to go.

Thanks.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tinderella

Postby tinderella » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:38 pm

I apologise Lizzy if you thought I was saying only certain people could come. Not at all.
I just think near the time when Joe decides the costs etc, that he may decide a certain number is the best , as we did in Wales and Haiger and if that number is 40 for example, that the first 40 to registar should be the people that come on the tour. As I live here in Ireland I know there will be a lot of my Irish LC friends that did not go on the other 2 walks wanting to come on this one as its easy for us to get to it.
Its a lot smaller than an LC Event and not even like Hydra as that is a casual meet up to relax and anyone can go to that. But there is a certain amount of organising for a walking tour and I just think 40 is a nice number.

Hope that you do make it to Ireland, and we will give you a warm welcome of course
Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:57 pm

WOW! I had been offline for a few days and just saw a message from Llondubh to come here. What a fantastic surprise! One of the most beautiful places in the entire world is Connemara. Wonderful news. Well done, Joe!

Too bad about the other nominees though, guess you'll have to suck up to Henning for next time:-(

Can't WAIT !!
tinderella

Postby tinderella » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 am

HI Diane, yes i was thinking of BEatriz and she wanted the walk in Spain but I am sure she will be happy to come to Ireland and not have the headache of the organising :)
Henning

Postby Henning » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:22 am

Bernadine, you are right here. First Joe has to decide how many people will be the limit. Then we have a time slot, where the former walkers can sign up. And after that I guess there will still be space for newcomers. This all will not happen before 2013. So let's relax and enjoy 2012. Old ideas, Madison, the Olympics, BVB championship, etc. !

BTW: Beatriz is informed, that Spain has a lot to do with 2015 :-)

H.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
lonndubh

Postby lonndubh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:15 am

Henning wrote:First Joe has to decide how many people will be the limit. Then we have a time slot, where the former walkers can sign up. And after that I guess there will still be space for newcomers
And Henning if there is not space we will just have to organize a second or third weekend ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
As you know Ireland is famous for the open house
liverpoolken

Postby liverpoolken » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:00 am

...i think this could get messy so let's restrict registration to only those not born in ireland nor claim to have any irish ancestors....with the exception of the organisers of course.....

...so that's me ..
jarkko
eija
beatriz
meritxell
hans
caren
willy
wijbe
WENCHE (edited by Maarten :-))
..that qualify so far..........

...sorry henning but you are becoming far too irish these days to qualify for registration even to the point of travelling all the way to liverpool to see a christy moore concert but elke would be welcomed with open arms...

... and i think the placing of the sash on maarten's shoulders in sligo a couple of years ago also disqualifies him but wenche is more than OK to join us again...

...of course this is only a suggestion......ta ken

Return to “Walking Weekends (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)”