New live album: Can't Forget

swisschris

Re: New live album: Can't Forget

Post by swisschris »

Here you can listen to short excerpts of all the songs:

http://www.cede.ch/de/music/?branch_sub ... 5&branch=1

Pure beauty, can't wait to hear the full songs on vinyl...

2008:Lyon July 9th, Lörrach July 25th, Zurich October 25th;
2009: Nimes August 20th;
2010: Basel September 8th;
2012: Verona September 24th;
2013: Montreux July 4th
Clementine

Post by Clementine »

'Joan of Arc' is divine - it's always been my very favourite song and I smiled when Leonard got the words back-to front at the start.
At least I think he did; it should be 'no moon to keep her armour bright and no man to get her through the dark and smoky night' -right? He sings 'man' first, then 'moon'!
It's quirky things like this that make live recordings so special. I'm looking forward to hearing Field Commander Cohen and Night comes on. They did that one here in Auckland last time and it was wonderful.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

It seems that the real muse of the song is Nico, the icy german singer and Andy Warhol's protégée.
Interesting how the image of the metallic walkyrie was melted in the figure of the saint, virgin and martyr. Another one. Although her existence may be just a myth.

The song is a pure beauty, indeed.

One of the rare Leonard Cohen's song that does not provide some comfort to me, as it feels raw sadness from the beginning to the end. The primary emotion under anger and other mixed emotions. A primary emotion, like a unique, primary colour. An emotion that can not be avoided in a human life. No matter how wonderful life can be, howerer. Besides.

Sadness like ashes when all other fiery emotions had burned down. Sadness that can only be lullabied to sleep. La la la, la la la. At least this is how I feel the song.

There is so much material in his career, enough for eternity. Certainly.
Huge.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Tchocolatl wrote:It seems that the real muse of the song is Nico, the icy german singer and Andy Warhol's protégée.
Interesting how the image of the metallic walkyrie was melted in the figure of the saint, virgin and martyr. Another one. Although her existence may be just a myth.

The song is a pure beauty, indeed.

One of the rare Leonard Cohen's song that does not provide some comfort to me, as it feels raw sadness from the beginning to the end. The primary emotion under anger and other mixed emotions. A primary emotion, like a unique, primary colour. An emotion that can not be avoided in a human life. No matter how wonderful life can be, howerer. Besides.

Sadness like ashes when all other fiery emotions had burned down. Sadness that can only be lullabied to sleep. La la la, la la la. At least this is how I feel the song.

There is so much material in his career, enough for eternity. Certainly.
Huge.
Dear Tchocolatl,
I saw Leonard perform "Joan of Arc" in Madison in 1970. At the time he called it "The Wedding of Joan of Arc" and he dedicated it to the memory of Janis Joplin who had passed away shortly before the concert. I know that Nico was the inspiration, but I've always felt that the "Heroin/Heroine" reference suggested that he had Janis in mind as well.

It is always good to see you here!

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Dear Joe, that was a kind gesture.

In 1970 the death of Janis Joplin was a tragic event that caught everybody unguarded.
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein will be burned up.
- Webster's Bible

Seems a decent definition of racing the midnight train.

Who knows what and who he had in mind. He certainly had not time to write an entire song about Janis as a muse, not to speak about a second version. Or a third one. That seems like the very right thing to do, though.

The iconic figure of Janis inspires less a spirit like a final solution contained in JoA, than the iconic figure of Nico (which was an heroin addict as well at some time in her life).

Janis' life and death feel more like a candle in the wind.

It is always great to read you, Joe.

The man and the moon seems interchangable concepts, indeed. Particularly in a dark and very smoky night.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

poor leonard really did have a thing for nico. Joan of arc, take this longing....I wonder what other songs he wrote with her in his mind.

Unrequited love (lust!) is a terrible thing.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Supposedly One of Us Cannot be Wrong was also written with Nico in mind.

M
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Clementine

Post by Clementine »

Fancy not requiting Leonard's love! It's hard to believe. Nico came to New Zealand and played at our Otago University orientation week in around 1984 or 85. It must have been very much around the time that I discovered Leonard's music, during the dying days of vinyl but then, without the Internet, I didn't put two and two together!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

For whom did Leonard Cohen write The Stranger Song ?

My theory about the life of Leonard Cohen the man (which is not of my business to begin with) is that he really was born with a voice of gold (in is absolute original way) but also with an appetite for life of such a stature, that he had to master non-stop flows of high energies that causes major turbulences in the life of any mortal. He did manage to surf on the waves like a golden beach boy in his artistic career, that is my only concern.

We love you leonard.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

friscogrl wrote:Supposedly One of Us Cannot be Wrong was also written with Nico in mind.

M

Thanks, I did not know that. But hearing the lyrics is now makes perfect sense.

My understanding is leonard was simply too old for her, she was a woman who preferred her men to be on the youthful side of existence, and a 30something leonard just didnt cut it. :lol:
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

The ref to 'coming home without Lili Marlene' in Famous Blue Raincoat is also often said to be to Nico.

As for Joan of Arc, she was definitely a real historical figure. The transcript of her trial still survives.

She was nothing like the Joan of LC's song, though.

I often think (well, since I first heard the song last December) that being consumed like LC's Joan of Arc is the temptation I'm happiest that I've avoided in my life.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

A girl was burned indeed but the myth, pardon me, the multiple myth itself, well... Well, well. You know.

The Leonard's Joan of Arc is very close to the Christian myth.

There is something of the sacrificed heroin (hello Joe!) in Janis. Her myth is still burning high while the aura of Nico is much more pretty cold than it used to be in the '60, by now. If it was not for Leonard Cohen who would talk about her nowadays.

So many songs! I do not dare to think for a second : what if the girl had said yes after the first song (or worst, before). Or the second. Or the third. Thank you Nico (and the others).

Burn Leonard, burn!

I am not cruel. G_d never sends a burden that someone can not carry. So he could. Obviously.

Besides : boys will be boys.

End of the communication.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

gosh I'd never considered what might have been had she said yes. That really is something interesting to ponder.

I wonder what Leonard's view would be. Would he sacrifice all those songs for her sweet embrace? How I'd love to ask him!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

How do you know that her embrace would have been sweet ?

I agree with you, though : this is all superfluous prose.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

songwriter wrote:I wonder what Leonard's view would be. Would he sacrifice all those songs for her sweet embrace?
Tchocolatl wrote:How do you know that her embrace would have been sweet?
thoughtful question. let us hope a response will be provided.

Return to “2015 Release: Can't Forget”