Next Step: Charity projects

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
jarkko
Site Admin

Next Step: Charity projects

Post by jarkko »

Now when we finally have the bench, it is time to take the next step: how to spend the rest of the funds of our 2014 fund raising campaign.

We have two thirds of our funds still unused. We did not want to spend any of this reserve as long as the bench project was uncompleted.

Thanks to the Municipality, problems with the Historical Office in Athens and the legal battle at the High Court did not cause any extra costs to us.

In 2014 it was decided that the extra money will be used to charity and social projects on the island. We have asked the Municipality to make a list of ideas for our consideration. Probably the money will be used to 4-5 projects.

More info will be posted when we know more!!!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Re: Next Step: Charity projects

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I am a little bit shocked that so little of the money has been spent on the main project. Given 2/3 of the funds raised for a permanent tribute to Leonard are unused, is there scope for another memorial of some sort elsewhere as well as the charity projects? Montreal has been mentioned and I am conscious that there are all sorts of things going on there at the moment. There would surely still be money left over for charity projects on Hydra but surely people did not donate €1,000s for that purpose?

I would be interested in other people's thought.

Wendy
rmura

Post by rmura »

At some point, maybe years from now, the bench will probably need some repair work. What about putting some of the money into a fund for maintenance of the Hydra bench?

I'll support whatever the group decides.

Ron
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Good point, Ron (and I'm echoing the last phrase too).
Anyway, knowing nothing about benches, I hope it won't require the double cost of its construction for maintenance in the nearby future (still it's better to have some amount of money for this purpose)...

Personally, I'm thinking about - yes - charity projects on Hydra (as was discussed here on the Forum)
and / or
some kind of LC commemoration in (alternatives) Montreal; Los Angeles; host cities for the forthcoming Big Events.

Also, we're just two years away from the next jubilee...
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Ron & Roman
this was already discussed on Hydra. We will keep some reserve for the maintenance.
It is clear that the wooden back of the bench will not last forever (the climate is very demanding).
However, it is easy to replace.
There is always also a risk of graffiti and other outrage (the plaque can be stolen etc.) so it is good to have some money to spend. (Municipality of Hydra is the legal owner of the bench and they also have promised to keep it in good condition)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

I can see this turning into an endless discussion as there will be many viewpoints.

To keep things simple, I propose that Jarkko determines what reserve is needed for maintenance and thus identifies the surplus available for other purposes. Then Jarkko asks Adam and Lorca to decide what to use that surplus for, whether it be Hydra charities, some sort of small memorial in Parc du Prtugal in Montreal, or whatever.

This places the decision in the hands of those most likely to know what Leonard would want.

Just my humble opinion.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

I think "4" makes a very commendable comment and suggestion.

Brian
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

A fund for music in the islands or town's schools in Leonard's honor ?
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

its4inthemorning wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:12 pm I can see this turning into an endless discussion as there will be many viewpoints.

To keep things simple, I propose that Jarkko determines what reserve is needed for maintenance and thus identifies the surplus available for other purposes. Then Jarkko asks Adam and Lorca to decide what to use that surplus for, whether it be Hydra charities, some sort of small memorial in Parc du Prtugal in Montreal, or whatever.

This places the decision in the hands of those most likely to know what Leonard would want.

Just my humble opinion.

Ditto

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure why should we, the contributors, lose our voice. The community has done well with several projects, including the one with the Bench (which was originaly an idea by Anne Porter, that got support 5 days/40 posts after being proposed). Let's not be afraid of "endless discussion", sooner or later (I dare say, sooner) we'd make a perfect decision.
harald

Post by harald »

The bench is there. Hurrah and finally. Our thanks have to go to Jarkko fur his endurance in persecuting our goal. It´s like that sometimes: We decide something on the forum and leave the rest to Jarkko.
As I consider Jarkko´s character, it was neither a small burden for him, to be in charge of spending the money collected responsibly as close to the donators´ wish as possible.
If we now have more than half of the amount left, it is our own fault, we just gave too much. There would be no advantage if the bench had cost more or if we had have to cover legal fees just to spend more money on the project.
Around the donation process in 2014 the forum, probably mainly the donators, agreed on spending the extra money, aside of some spare for bench restaurations, on social projects in Hydra (I wasn´t even much for that - Hydra does not seem to me to be a especially needy place on earth - but that was agreed to).
Accordingly Jarkko now started the process by asking the municipality for a list of projects.
I do not think it helpful now to come up with different ideas - complicating things for Jarkko and differing from the donators´ wish from 2014.
So for me: Let´s just go on as agreed and already started by Jarkko.
No need to start a new discussion.
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
crystal

Post by crystal »

Absolutely agree with Harald. When we decided on the bench project we discussed what wh should do if there was money left. We decided on spending it on social projects on Hydra. This was reason for me to double my donation. We should stick to this decision.
Christel
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

Music for the schools !
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have posted a letter we received from the Mayor here:viewtopic.php?f=83&t=37539
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

This is to report that we have today donated 10,000 eur to the Social Supermarket and Social Pharmacy of Hydra. These charity projects are operated by the Municipality of Hydra. Our money will be used to buy food and medicines to local people who have urgent needs. There are many - often elderly people - who have no income at all, and no younger generations to support them.

In Montreal we talked with Cantor Gideon Zelermyer of Shaar Hashomayim, Leonard's family synagogue. He had discussed charity projects with Leonard only some months before his death. "Give your contribution to the hungry", Leonard had said. Our Bench Team decided to follow this guidance.

This money was collected in 2014 to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday; more than 300 members and other Leonard's fans contributed the project. With their donations we built the bench on Hydra (it was inaugurated in June 2017).

With this 10,000 eur donation to social help we have used most of the amount we had in reserve. We left some 2,000 eur to pay the following costs:

o two trees will be planted in the Spring, one on both sides of the bench
o reserve for the maintenance of the bench (the wooden part has to be replaced at some point)
o we promised to make a photo book with names of all donators and photos from our Hydra happenings; it will be done before the next Meetup and the book will be deposited at the Museum of Hydra (+a copy to the Municipality as well).

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”