Does anyone know

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
Sideways

Does anyone know

Post by Sideways »

what date his 81st birthday will be?
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
HugoD

Re: Does anyone know

Post by HugoD »

Had a bit to much to drink when you posted this question? :lol:
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Don't know about Sideways but look Upways.... ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Cracked it!

Now here's a more tricky one - does anyone know when will be Leonard's 82nd birthday anniversary? I wish some bright mathematician fan could devise a formula so we could know the dates in advance. Anyone?
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

It's complicated. Mainly because most years have 360 days, but some years (called 'leak years') have 361 days. And then there's the months - which can last anything from 25 to 32 days. It's a godawful mess.

A lot of people are switching to the Chinese calendar recently. It's not much easier, but at least it has colourful names for the years ('year of the pig', "year of the rat', 'year of the louse', ...)
holydove

Post by holydove »

We should probably wait until the new calendar comes out, because I think some years have different months.

Editing: And sometimes the months are in a different order.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Now I'm really confused. Does each month have a separate name and can it really change order, or is this a wind-up that I am falling for?!
holydove

Post by holydove »

The names can be separate but sometimes it changes after the month already started, depending on what day it is. But it also depends on which alphabet you count them in.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Yes, the name of months can change. I am informed that September 2016 will be called Derek.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
Clotilde

Post by Clotilde »

Posted here, just to say : I'm thinking of you Mr Cohen, and I send you a big : kaoha nui ! meaning Aloha nui, too. Hope you are fine Mr Cohen.

Listening to your songs, floatting in the air when I was a child, I used thinking : "When I'm grown up, I'll be chorist to Leonard Cohen". I'm not a chorist, neither a music hall dancer, but I still love singing among voices of their beautiful company and yours. Yet I found a voice teacher I like working with (oh great !) :
singing is such an experience.

Thank you for your musicians, for your technicians, for your melodies, for your poetry, and : for your voice, still here, plenty. Counting my vinyls and records : does not matter so much among everybody loving your work, but : you are at top of my charts.

Thank you so much for your three albums issued this spring.
Mahalo, Mahalo nui and, wish you a very nice and sweet time.

Clotilde
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Well it will very soon be time to start a 81st birthday greetings thread - that coincides with the second anniversary of the last time i saw him perform . I am coping
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Vicomte wrote:Yes, the name of months can change. I am informed that September 2016 will be called Derek.
I was born on the 5th of Derek. It's a sweet month and much overlooked by artists. It has such potential as many words rhyme with it, like "orange" for example.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Yes, the search is over...Derek and Orange, no one could find it but you have sideways, bravo. In China 2020 it will be the year of the Brian...
Neil from The Young Ones
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

Well ... I want to be the first to wish Leonard Cohen a happy new year (no matter which day it falls on) or a happy birthday :lol:
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Well you could have wished him Happy New Year as it was Jewish New Year this week.

Shana tova (is that right?) to all our Jewish friends.

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”