Bench updates

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
jongrep

Re: Bench updates

Post by jongrep »

MarieM wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:26 pm Our bench is now a park.

Steve Silberman @stevesilberman tweets:

Wonderful: A little park on the most beautiful promontory on Hydra, where singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen bought a house for $1500 in 1960.
Unfortunately it is not a park. I was on Hydra two weks ago. Something should be done about the ugly rocks and the earth behind the bench.
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

May I just ask what your ideas are ?
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

jongrep wrote:Something should be done about the ugly rocks and the earth behind the bench.

Indeed, who wants to see ugly rocks and dirt on a hill alongside a nature path? While they're at it, they could do something about the sea: all that water and salt is terribly messy and corrosive.

199Dan wrote:May I just ask what your ideas are ?

I've got one! They could put up a 20-storey concrete wall behind the bench, on which somebody could paint a giant mural of Leonard! That would be so much nicer to look at than shabby old rocks and dirt.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

LisaLCFan wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:52 am
jongrep wrote:Something should be done about the ugly rocks and the earth behind the bench.

Indeed, who wants to see ugly rocks and dirt on a hill alongside a nature path? While they're at it, they could do something about the sea: all that water and salt is terribly messy and corrosive.

199Dan wrote:May I just ask what your ideas are ?

I've got one! They could put up a 20-storey concrete wall behind the bench, on which somebody could paint a giant mural of Leonard! That would be so much nicer to look at than shabby old rocks and dirt.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jongrep

Post by jongrep »

199Dan wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 am May I just ask what your ideas are ?
Architects and landscape architects are better qualified than me to propose concrete measures. The way it is now, it is pretty ugly, and the earth may slide down in heavy rainfall. The earth and rocks behind the bench should be cleared to some extent, and there should be some vegetation to keep the earth in place.
JG
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

The real problem is the lack of shade. I have seen people sitting on the nearby ordinary wooden bench rather than on Leonard's simply because the former is shady. The bench is north facing, so a tree planted behind it would really help.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

This is to report that we have today donated 10,000 eur to the Social Supermarket and Social Pharmacy of Hydra. These charity projects are operated by the Municipality of Hydra. Our money will be used to buy food and medicines to local people who have urgent needs. There are many - often elderly people - who have no income at all, and no younger generations to support them.

In Montreal we talked with Cantor Gideon Zelermyer of Shaar Hashomayim, Leonard's family synagogue. He had discussed charity projects with Leonard only some months before his death. "Give your contribution to the hungry", Leonard had said. Our Bench Team decided to follow this guidance.

This money was collected in 2014 to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday; more than 300 members and other Leonard's fans contributed the project. With their donations we built the bench on Hydra (it was inaugurated in June 2017).

With this 10,000 eur donation to social help we have used most of the amount we had in reserve. We left some 2,000 eur to pay the following costs:

o two trees will be planted in the Spring, one on both sides of the bench
o reserve for the maintenance of the bench (the wooden part has to be replaced at some point)
o we promised to make a photo book with names of all donators and photos from our Hydra happenings; it will be done before the next Meetup and the book will be deposited at the Museum of Hydra (+a copy to the Municipality as well).
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
B4real

Post by B4real »

jarkko wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:39 am In Montreal we talked with Cantor Gideon Zelermyer of Shaar Hashomayim, Leonard's family synagogue. He had discussed charity projects with Leonard only some months before his death. "Give your contribution to the hungry", Leonard had said. Our Bench Team decided to follow this guidance.
Thank you Jarkko and The Team, for all your hard work and this update,
I'm so pleased to have contributed in some small way to this :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Jarkko

Thanks for the update! We all appreciate your efforts on this.

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
harald

Post by harald »

I just second B4real and Maarten.
Thank you, Jarkko, for all you are doing on behalf of the forum and to the profit of all!
Harald
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you for this very pleasing update, Jarkko!

How wonderful that the Cantor was able to convey Leonard's very wise & compassionate guidance to you, & how very wise of you & the team to decide to follow that guidance. This is a perfect use of the funds. Your efforts & your wisdom are greatly appreciated.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

www.hydraspoliteia.blogspopt.gr
Hydra Blogspot, November 29:
Δωρεά 10.000 ευρώ του Διεθνούς Σωματείου Φίλων του Leonard Cohen υπέρ του Κοινωνικού Φαρμακείου και Κοινωνικού Παντοπωλείου του Δήμου Ύδρας
Από: Δήμαρχο Ύδρας κ. Γεώργιο Κουκουδάκη

«10.000 Ευρώ Υπέρ του Κοινωνικού Παντοπωλείου και Κοινωνικού Φαρμακείου του Δήμου Ύδρας από το Διεθνές Σωματείο Φίλων του Leonard Cohen. Το Διεθνές Σωματείο Φίλων του Leonard Cohen, ύστερα από επικοινωνία και συζήτηση που είχα με τον Πρόεδρο του κ. Jarkko Arjatsalo, αποφάσισε και κατέθεσε το ποσό των 10.000 Ευρώ υπέρ του Κοινωνικού Φαρμακείου και Κοινωνικού Παντοπωλείου του Δήμου Ύδρας. Τους ευχαριστούμε».
Google translation (edited):
Wednesday, November 29, 2017
International Society of Friends of Leonard Cohen donated 10,000 eur for Social Pharmacy and Social Supermarket of Municipality of Hydra
By: George Koukoudaki, Mayor of Hydra

"10,000 Euro For the Social Supermarket and Social Pharmacy of the Hydra City from the International Society of Friends of Leonard Cohen

After communication and discussion I had with president Jarkko Arjatsalo, International Society of Friends of Leonard Cohen decided to make the donation and deposited the amount of 10,000 Eur in favor of Social Pharmacy and Social Supermarket of the Municipality of Hydra. We thank them. "

Hmm.. President: some kind of advancement in my old days ;-)

Thanks to Aad for the link!
The blog is updated daily. You have to make a search to find the Nov 29 entries.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

From secretary general to president ... Nice promotion!
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Hartmut wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:53 pm From secretary general to president ... Nice promotion!

A title well deserved ;-)
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Looks like our bench is attracting some color.

The photo was posted on Instagram by @apoetontheroadandintothewild

benchflowers.JPG
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”