Happy Birthday, Leonard!

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
rhona

Re: Happy Birthday, Leonard!

Post by rhona »

Happy Birthday Leonard,

Thank you for making the world, the words and most other things, make sense.

I hope you enjoy a wonderful Birthday, and that all the other days are pretty marvellous too.

With love

Rhona x
Oh bless the continuous stutter of the word being made into flesh

2008 Manchester Opera House
2008 Clyde Auditorium/SECC Glasgow
2012 Wembley Arena
2013 London O2
2013 Birmingham LG arena
st theresa1

Post by st theresa1 »

How do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume (and beyond)
It isn't easy but I'll try
If you wanted the moon I would write across the sky in words a thousand feet high
To Jikan with love.
Thanks for being my teacher in so many ways for so many years. Blessings on your birthday.
Vansingel

Post by Vansingel »

You have been a blessing already so long for so many of us.
I wish you a very warm and gentle birthday.
Please stay close to us.
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

I first wished you a happy birthday 20 years ago. If this place or the internet then existed, I didn't know about it. You were exactly twice my age. The time lag is unaltered but the lifespan ratio is weakening. Reasons to be cheerful...Part 1. Happy birthday, old buddy....from a younger but older buddy.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Leonard ~

I'm wishing that I had written you my birthday greetings when this thread was first opened, but I didn't. Now, I cannot do so without also acknowledging and expressing my sorrow for your and your family's profound loss. I'm sorry that you will be observing your 80th birthday without your sister, Esther, in your life... and that she wasn't able to be here to see it in with you. To echo what has been said elsewhere, may Esther's memory be for a blessing. So, this year, Leonard, as you know gratitude for another year and decade of your life, graced with another precious album, may your day also be filled with many blessings and much sharing of memories.

Happy Birthday, Leonard... wishing you a peaceful, love-filled day.

Love,
Elizabeth

[Elizabeth Bacon-Smith]
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mrs Mac

Post by Mrs Mac »

Eighty hugs, eighty kisses and a heart full of thanks!
Happy Birthday Darling Leonard
Carole x
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

No less than " A THOUSAND BURNING VIOLINS " to celebrate your 80 th birthday.

YOU, the incomparable wordman , the incantory voice, the Poet we all need. THANK YOU for all these years in Art.

HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY
Oana Maria Cajal

Post by Oana Maria Cajal »

"Only Mystery allows us to live, only Mystery."
Federico García Lorca
karen

Post by karen »

Dear Leonard,

Happy Milestone Birthday! I imagine your birthday will be tempered by the loss of your wonderful sister, Esther, of blessed memory, who I was privileged to know for almost two decades. (I wrote a tribute to your beloved sister in the Forum section dedicated to Esther's memory).

I hope you enjoy--to 120!--the special gift, we, your loving fans, have given you!

Thank you for being, through your music and poetry, an integral, daily constant in my life for over 40 years! Your words and music mean so much to me--more than my words can adequately express!

With deepest gratitude,
Karen
    1975: Washington, D.C., The Cellar Door/1985: New York, Carnegie Hall/1993: New York, The Paramount/2009: New York: Beacon/Radio City/Madison Square Garden/2012: New York: Madison Square Garden/2013: New York: Radio City
    MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Mr. Cohen,

Your words and music, they make us think, they soothe, they comfort, and they make us laugh. Thank you!

Happy Birthday and wishing you many, many more years filled with health, happiness, and peace.

Maybe next time we'll see a picture of you changing a car filter or a tire or topping off the oil.......

Grateful regards,
    George and Mary
    1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
    tomlayesman

Post by tomlayesman »

Add me to the list wanting to wish Leonard best wishes on his very special day!

May you have many more years of life and great artistry!

Thanks from a long time fan,

Tom Layesman
    morechocs

Post by morechocs »

Dear Leonard
    As one not blessed with the gift of expression I will just say Happy Birthday to You. Your words have been with me since I was a teenager and for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Maggie x
    netti

Post by netti »

A big hug on your birthday Leonard! You are the music in my life.
    Donata

Post by Donata »

Your little paradise called Hydra. The relentless sun is on her way to the horizon. Time for a light meal in a taverna. Greek merides? Roasted marides or Babouni Some glasses of Retsina or red Tsantali? Ena café hellenico varigliko and a Botris cognac? Then climbing up the white stairs between the houses and finally following a path. You are a bit tired from climbing, but there is a bench that wasn’t
    there before, where now you can rest and enjoy the balmy air and the beautiful view. It is the your bench, the Leonard Cohen Bench! Our birthday present to you.
    "Thank You" for so generously sharing your thoughts and feelings with us in your books, poems and songs.
    No words can properly express our deep gratitude.

Happy Birthday.
    Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Dear Leonard,

Happy Birthday :D :D I hope it will be a wonderful day for you.

with love
    Marie
    '...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”