Leonard 80 years: Fund Raising for our Hydra Bench

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
hydriot

Re: Leonard 80 years: Fund Raising for our Hydra Bench

Post by hydriot »

I am very concerned to read suggestions that spare donations should be given to Hydra Ark. This is is not an animal shelter but, behind the guise of inoculations, is pursuing a policy of forced sterilisation of the wild cat population on Hydra. This has decimated them to the point that the gene pool may be irreparably damaged. It is so rare to see a kitten these days that we can only presume Hydra Ark intends to wipe out the population entirely, even though the wild cats are a community asset loved by tourists. No human has the right to play God and deny a wild animal the chance to procreate.

Let spare cash be given to the hospital and not to such a contentious organisation.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here is a summary of home countries of our contributors. Country with most contributors first. Donations from 30 countries so far.
Just a little more than a week to go!
We are getting soon a report from Hydra of the most urgent needs of the local community, to decide how to spend the extra money.

UK incl Northern Ireland
USA
Germany
The Netherlands
Ireland
Finland
Canada
Belgium
Australia
Norway
Austria
France
Italy
Poland
Israel
Greece
Spain
Hungary
Japan
Portugal
Russia
Sweden
Switzerland
Czech Republic
China
Croatia
Belarus
Denmark
Serbia
Slovenia
South Africa
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Donata

Post by Donata »

It's so amazing to me how many people from countries all over the world know, admire and love Leonard Cohen (and participate in this
project). And there surely are many more fans who have not joined this community. I am a good example, having been deeply devoted
to LC and his poetry and music I only joined this community very recently. And I know a lot of LC fans only in my city who have not joined "this club".
Annick

Post by Annick »

Contribution done ;-)
Silence
and a deeper silence
when the crickets
hesitate

06/1976 Nancy - 07/2008 Bruges - 10/2008 Bruxelles - 08/2009 Colmar - 08/2012 Ghent - 06/2013 Bruxelles
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

I know quite a bit about controlling cat populations through my work with a local animal shelter. In many, many places a strategy called TNR (trap/neuter/return) is employed. Through TNR, volunteers trap feral cats, animal organizations perform spay/neuter surgeries, and the cats are returned to where they were previously living. TNR helps to reduce the feral cat population without euthanizing its members. It alleviates the problem, but does not eliminate it since all feral cats will never be caught and neutered, and the neutering of cats with homes is a decision that owners make voluntarily. Thus, kittens will always be available for those who wish to own one. Please realize that feral cats have short life spans due to weather, disease, predators, and the diminshed availabilty of food as populations increase. Please also realize that almost all feral cats cannot be domesticated beyond the point of returning to areas where humans feed them while still avoiding any closer human contact. You would not believe how many scrawny and sick, but relatively young, feral cats are brought to our shelter that are beyond help. A well-run TNR program is far more humane than ignoring the situation and "letting nature take its course." Unless someone can provide more details and specific information regarding non-humane activities at Hydra/Ark, I hope plans to divert some/all of the bench fund surplus to this group are left intact.
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Like I said in my message above, we are waiting for a report from our Hydra contact Lakis Christidis. We will hear from him which would be the most urgent and critical needs of the local community.
It is clear that we cannot use the money to anything that is a controversial issue by the locals.
We will donate to something that is supported by the whole community.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

Now that our credit card bill is paid off from the Dublin event, we have managed to find a few euros to donate to this project. Payment should be received via Paypal imminently. Please let me know if not.
Hopefully the project will be completed by the time we come to Hydra next June. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Regards,

Scott & Helen

***Your contribution has been received! - All donations are confirmed also by email. / Jarkko
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
lindyasimus

Post by lindyasimus »

Just sent some euros by PayPal.

Is there a URL ( not the forum I guess) with the lowdown and instruction for donation payment we can post to Twitter for a final push for more donations in the days remaining?

Happy to post it to my networks over the week.

Lindy
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

lindyasimus wrote:Is there a URL ( not the forum I guess) with the lowdown and instruction for donation payment we can post to Twitter for a final push for more donations in the days remaining?
http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/hydra80th.html
Marie
Speaking Cohen
sofiale

Post by sofiale »

My contribution has now been submitted and accepted by Paypal.
Sofia
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Contribution done. I hope I can go to Hydra some day to see the bench for myself.......
" ........... if one can describe as serious the confused comedy of our lives". Graham Greene, "The Comedians".
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have received an update from Lakis. The new Mayor of Hydra supports our Project. Next step will be his letter to the Historical Office in Athens, confirming that the Hydra municipality approves the project.
The authorities require an official, registered representative in Greece which takes the legal financial responsibility. The Hydra Cinema Club has promised to do this.
The stones for the bench have been selected and are currently waiting in the garden of Lakis. Very soon the craftsman who will make the bench will start working on them.

We will post soon some ideas how to use our extra money so that our contributions benefit all residents on the island. We could donate some money to one or two social and/or cultural projects. Lakis is going to report us the most urgent needs after meeting with some local key persons.

Our fund raising is still going on: if you want to contribute, read the information in the very first message of this thread (on page 1).
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Stranger wrote:Contribution done. I hope I can go to Hydra some day to see the bench for myself.......
The same here :D
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
IMM

Post by IMM »

jarkko wrote: We will post soon some ideas how to use our extra money so that our contributions benefit all residents on the island.
This being a bench and all, could the extra money be used to stock it with beer for one and V8 (maybe tomato juice) for others ? ;-)
daniele

Post by daniele »

This is a great project ! Send my participation :)

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”