How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
reneny3

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by reneny3 »

I will be happy to contribute, but at the same time can't help but wonder if maybe the plan isn't a bit too elaborated?
The initial idea was a "modest bench"... :roll:
There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I would also be glad to contribute whatever is needed to construct a bench in celebration of Leonard's 80th birthday.
But I agree that this project is more elaborate than what I thought was initially proposed. With all due respect it
Looks like a little memorial park.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

It's a blatant rip off if you want my opinion (probably don't but you got it anyway) far too elaborate, you don't need the steps, you don't need the"paving" around it, you just need a simple bench with a back to rest on.

Having said all that, go ahead and pay whatever you want but never forget, this is Greece, the starting price is just that, it will rise for certain and by how much, well something will cost more than originally accounted for, that's for sure. I am wondering if the €9000 might be better off feeding some of the less well off in Greece, I rather suspect LC would think along the same lines and settle for a simple bench.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
godnose

Post by godnose »

The steps are already in place, the paving is already in place. This cost is largely for the bench alone. Stuff does cost this much if it is gonna be industrial-standard work. It ain't gonna be some park bench you have in your garden from a home improvement store. This needs to stand up to hundreds of arses sitting on it and endure the elements for 200+ years.

I'll pay €100 towards this project. We need an official list of contributors to see if we can begin to get this together.

With regard to the cost rising... No way. It has to be hammered down.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Godnose is right. The 'paving' [cobblestone?] IS already in place... I returned to the previous page to confirm this, and the colours are FAR more appealing than those on the 'architectural' drawing, where they appear new and very bright... not as though in a calm and shady spot of tranquil viewing, which in reality it is. The steps are already in place, too... however, are they adding some? Can't tell from the photo that Wijbe took, if they're just further up toward the top of the photo frame. So, this really IS for the bench and the back alone.

I'm willing to contribute, as well. Might we set a deadline to see how well we do with Forum contributions, at which point we can make the decision as to whether or not we go with Crowd funding? I KNOW we can do this! Good heavens, we HAVE spent a heck of a lot more on attending concerts, one right after the other, as well... and consider the cost of flights alone! This bench DOES need to stand the test of time!

And the simplicity of the bench itself remains.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

image.jpg

Dear Friends,

This bench project has become very dear to all our hearts. Other than our appreciation of Leonard, Forum fans seem to have differing opinions on every subject but on building this bench to honor Leonard on his 80th birthday, we seem to be of one heart and one mind.

We are very concerned about the high costs involved in the estimate for the construction. Maybe there are things that can be done to reduce the costs. Maybe the project can be divided into parts. Even if this is possible, the time to raise the money is now. We need to know where we stand before Leonard's birthday. At the same time, if we collect funds and fall far short, we have no satisfactory alternative plan, and returning donations becomes problematic especially when using Paypal.

So, as a way to measure how much money we might be able to raise without the risks of accepting cash, we would like to take pledges of funds to build the bench. We would ask that you email or PM Jarkko (use the button on the right) with your name and the amount you can pledge towards the building of the bench. In your email subject line, please write "Pledge." At this point we only need to hear from folks who will be pledging 25 EUR or more ($33.50 US, $36 CAN). We will accept pledges for the next week, from now through August 2.

We will not hold you to your pledge. However, please understand that if we go forward with this project, we will do so depending on the amount you promised. Therefore, please don't pledge more than you can afford to send or more than you plan to send. We really need folks to be realistic about how much they can contribute to this project.

Thank you all for the ideas you have contributed on honoring Leonard on his 80th birthday. We know this Hydra bench resonates with so many of us because it honors Leonard in its usefulness, its beauty, and hopefully its longevity. We hope that the bench will become a reality with your help.

Jarkko and Marie
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Henning

Post by Henning »

The total costs Jarkko mentioned includes taxes and administration fees. It is true that this not only a plein bench anymore but a remarkable place that will attract and invite people to sit down. The architect plans reveal that this is a highly professional elaborated work and justifies the amount mentioned. The stairs as shown in the photo have to be redown and adjusted as a link between the bench and the wall behind. New stones have to be added to the ground to complete the space between the pathway and the bench. I will be happy to donate considerably to this as it will amplify my pride whenever I pass this place.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

My personal opinion is that 9000 euros is excessive, even for this island, but I trust Lakis to get the best deal for us.

There is also the interesting complication that we get a new mayor in September. All I know about him is that he is a Cambridge graduate, so hopefully he will be a civilised person and favourably disposed towards this effort.

I leave the island on Wednesday.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Out of curiosity, will the people who contributed to this project be recognized by name or anything?
Yes! If this project comes true, Leonard will get a list of participants, in alphabetical order, on his birthday. Later, when the bench is ready, we will make a photo book with pictures of Hydra, Leonard and our happenings on the island, and the bench, with full credits of all participants, project team and participating websites. A copy of the photo book will be given to Leonard, and another will be deposited at the Hydra Museum where everybody can have a look at it.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

godnose wrote:The steps are already in place, the paving is already in place. This cost is largely for the bench alone. Stuff does cost this much if it is gonna be industrial-standard work. It ain't gonna be some park bench you have in your garden from a home improvement store. This needs to stand up to hundreds of arses sitting on it and endure the elements for 200+ years.

I'll pay €100 towards this project. We need an official list of contributors to see if we can begin to get this together.

With regard to the cost rising... No way. It has to be hammered down.
You cannot be serious, you think that if the full monty is to be done the price will be firm, who knows what the company will "find" when the work goes ahead for an elaborate plan like this one. A few thousand, certainly no more will easily ensure a stone bench with a stone back rest that will last a very long time. If you want to go really elaborate, then the price can rise to any sum anyone cares to mention but then anything OTT will be very UnCohenesque and simply a case of egoism gone barmy by his fans.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It's self-evident that we don't sign an open check, the estimate has to be itemized and we will see if something could be left out, and the costs reduced remarkably. If the project proceeds, we will set a maximum that cannot be exceeded under any circumstances. However, first we have to find out if anything in that range will be within our resources. That's why we posted the pledge request.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

jarkko wrote:It's self-evident that we don't sign an open check, the estimate has to be itemized and we will see if something could be left out, and the costs reduced remarkably. If the project proceeds, we will set a maximum that cannot be exceeded under any circumstances. However, first we have to find out if anything in that range will be within our resources. That's why we posted the pledge request.
Would be good to question the price which does seem excessive and in the event of us falling somewhat short in funds is it possible to ' haggle' or scaleback the plans while still producing something worthwhile ?
Anyway my pledge is made and hopefully the full amount wont be too difficult to achieve. In my pledge i've given a minimum and maximum - both way short of what a concert ticket would cost ! I hope that doesn't complicate things
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
mutti

Post by mutti »

We made a pledge today (Natyam & I) to Jarkko.
The plans and drawings for the bench project are well done and quite beautiful. To be honest I would have preferred something a bit more simple and natural.
That is just my personal opinion and regardless of the outcome, which will be beautiful I am in 100%. I am glad we are going ahead now with the pledges.
Thanks Jarkko & Marie for all your work on this project.
Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

I'm sure the real bench will look very natural.
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
dick

Post by dick »

Linda and I emailed our pledge to Jarkko, with a notation it could even be more if needed to complete the project. Looks like a beautiful piece of sculpture to us, far more than just a bench.

Let's make it happen as a thoughtful and permanent tribute to our man!

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”