How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
Henning

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by Henning »

Oh how I like Jarkko's official announcements :-)
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

This is exciting, it looks great, looking forward to see the bench IRL when I some day visit Hydra.

I think the final plans should be made when we know excactly the amount of money collected will be.
If it's enough to fix the stairs, then fix the stairs. If not, use what we got on the bench.
Get the money first, then choose how to spend it, that's a good rule in life.
There are many ways a man can serve his time
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

In principle yes, but after the Archeological Office in Athens has ratified the plan and given us permission, no changes can be made (without another bureaucratic round). However, thanks to your activity in sending pledges, our team is getting convinced that this project will be a success. The official announcement of the fund raising campaign will be posted soon.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Dear Friends

we have received so many pledges that we are ready to open the fund raising campaign.
Please go to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35233 for complete information and links!!

Marie & Jarkko

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
seed-sown

Post by seed-sown »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and admittedly haven't even read one post by others. Yet, I will. Surely, this is a fab bunch who also love him, here.

For me personally, I'd like to celebrate his birthday with a poem of love.

I'll be 56 soon, and my age only recently 'dawned' on me. The fact that I only heard Leonard's music/poems (a thousand kisses deep especially) only a year or so ago, only confirms the shell of existence I've been in for so long.

I did hear and know of "Suzanne" which, at the time, and also, always, just blows me away to a good place.

So, to Leonard, from me:

every woman dreams your words
were whispered to her soul
the ointment and the soothing
soaked into her deepest wounds
the hero man, the real man
reaching out to go within

but all she ever gets is hints
torments of what could be
chained in time to love's best hope
she waits alone again

anymore, dreams alone are not enough
anymore, disenchanted not enough
we are old now
enough, the humdrum beating hearts
of those they call a 'man'
time and time again, enough

what then? sit solitary. wait.
with hearts given only to listen
to what some one woman knows of
you
the capture of your kiss
find me in this sacred seed sown

Happy Birthday to you, Leonard. May the Lord bless (make you happy) head to toe and all inside all of that. Live long.

You are loved and it doesn't ever get any better than that. Thank you for the beauty you have given to this world. Appreciated. :)

-Lauren
vbm4040

Post by vbm4040 »

Anyone in Boston area want to celebrate LC's birthday at a restaurant or bar?
Padma

Post by Padma »

I shall be celebrating by going to see Joan Baez at the RFH!!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Lauren ~

Welcome to the Forum :)
I've just read your lovely poem to Leonard. If you want to be absolutely certain he will read it, it would be great for you to post it in the "Happy Birthday, Leonard" thread. It's the thread that Jarkko creates each year for us to post our greetings and messages to him, which after Leonard's birthday, Jarkko will send on to Leonard for reading them all. This is the link to it:
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=35328&start=30

And, again, welcome :) .

~ Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
JudithMB

Post by JudithMB »

Dear Leonard, I wish you a wonderful birthday. You music and writing have given me so much enjoyment over my lifetime.
I'll celebrate your Birthday spending time playing with my horses and listening to your songs.
Judy :D
mjhoey

Post by mjhoey »

I hope you had a wonderful day with dear friends and loved ones. You are my favorite "old geezer ", so keep singing and skipping on the stage of your life!
MJH
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

jarkko wrote: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:19 pm
Later, when the bench is ready, we will make a photo book with pictures of Hydra, Leonard and our happenings on the island, and the bench, with full credits of all participants, project team and participating websites. A copy of the photo book will be given to Leonard, and another will be deposited at the Hydra Museum where everybody can have a look at it.

Great to see the bench now erected on Hydra! Does anyone know the status of the aforementioned photo book?

Kind regards.
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Such a book is still in the plans, but there is no hurry because Leonard has left us. Without the bench we couldn't make the book; we had to wait until we have photos of the construction, inauguration etc.
The book will be ready begore the next meet-up.

We will make it in three copies, one for Adam, one for Lorca and one for the Hydra Museum.
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Thanks for the quick reply, Jarkko!
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”