How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
Paul Zagreb

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by Paul Zagreb »

What a great idea … both the bench and Yoeri's proposed inscription!

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I like the differing levels of meaning that yoeri's suggestion allows for... very Leonardesque. Love the bench idea and will, of course, contribute, as well.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
surrender

Post by surrender »

Thinking about the inscription, this line is resonating in my head:

"I came so far for beauty" or just "Came so far for beauty"

It can apply - literally and figuratively - to Leonard himself but also to his listeners/travellers.

But still - I agree with Ken that we must be cautious with the (engraved) words...

Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

A stone bench is a lovely idea and I hope we can have the permission of the municipality of Hydra. If the answer is positive, I think we can find local artisans to work for it. Hope to have some news these days. Btw, I would also prefer a very simple inscription, I like yoeri's and surrender's ;-)

Sophia
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I've been following this thread with interest and love the idea of a stone bench. I will of course contribute whatever I can.
I thinking picking words for an inscription is going to be the hardest part! I personally like the idea of the line "It's just the way it changes like the shoreline and the sea" from Hey That's no way to say Goodbye. I can picture slight weathering on the bench over the years and think this is an apt line for what will be also happening to the view from the bench!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

An inscribed bench on Hydra sounds like a fine notion. I've been trying to locate in "Stranger Music" a poem obviously set on Hydra I may have just imagined exists, but, whether connected to Hydra or not, any stanza from "Song to make me still" has potential, as do "Summer Haiku" "Owning Everything" or "Gift" (particularly appropriate taking into account Cohen's monastic title) or the first verse of "Hydra 1960". As has been said of love, if I finally find what I'm looking for it will probably prove less fascinating than the chase!
Last edited by UrPal on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gentle Reader

Post by Gentle Reader »

I have enjoyed reading the posts here and I love the idea of the stone bench on Hydra! Please count me in for a contribution toward the bench and engraving, or any alternative decided upon. There are so many great ideas!

Linda from Snohomish.
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

Mmmm...the chase is over, and less fascinating it has proved to be.....I'd like to be able to claim the poem I was looking for was "The beach at kamini" in Book of Longing but, truth to be told, it was actually "The Moon" - possibly based on a connection suggested by the Hydra poem Jarkko mentions upstairs and the merger effected between them by my memory.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hahah, UrPal. Your chase comments. Very funny.

I think "Came So Far for Beauty" or "I came so far for beauty" looks better in print than "You were always the one." The last one is more wistful, though. Like very much the idea of 'the shoreline and the sea' one, and the reasoning behind that choice. And there's a real sense of acceptance in it that I like very much and is reflective of Leonard's attitude regarding all kinds of changes throughout life. So, its application would be literal to the view, as well as the bench, and metaphorically/symbolically, as well... if it's not too 'wordy.'
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

DSCN0090 - Copy.JPG
Stone bench en route from Mandraki to Hydra.
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

And of course an olive tree of lets say 80 years next to the bench would make it perfect (if too expensive one of 80 months :-) )
2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

Love the stone bench idea. Count me in. How about asking a 'cutter of words' for advice on appropriate length of quote etc? I do love "I came so far for beauty" - and, of course, "you were always the one". Beautiful.
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

If I summarize the disucssion, the stone bench idea seems to be approved and supporterd by almost everybody!
Our next step is to find out whether Hydra's status as an important historical site is going to be problematic; do we need a special permission also from some other organ than the municipality of Hydra?
How long would it take to get such a permission, and from which organ?
We are now looking into this, and will keep you updated.
Meanwhile, let's keep this thread going!
And here are some stone benches from all over the world: https://www.google.fi/search?q=stoneben ... 1&tbm=isch
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Thanks for taking this on, Jarkko. So far, my preferred inscription would be: "Came so far for beauty" And something like "for Leonard Cohen on his 80th birthday" so people don't think he is dead! And in Greek as well maybe?
newfoundland--understand?
Dem

Post by Dem »

Jarkko maybe the most difficult part
of the whole project will be to get the
permission.

And for this the Municipality of Hydra
can explain to us what exactly is required.

However my feeling is that given that
everybody on the island knows and loves Leonard
the Municipality at least won't have an objection.

But again Hydra is the most protected by law
(thank God!) place on Greece.

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”