How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
anneporter

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by anneporter »

I love how the idea of a stone bench on Hydra is developing. I especially like the idea of engraving some lines of his poetry. Choosing from so many suitable poems and lyrics will be a challenge. I like the selections Jarkko has made. Many others come to mind: lines from Night Comes On ( eg, the crickets are singing/ the vesper bells ringing/ the cat's curled asleep in his chair...) or Half the Perfect World or Bird on a Wire, or "they are still singing down at Dousko's"... and on and on....
Another thought: we could make sure to hire local Hydra ( or at Greek) artisans as a gesture of respect and support for the economy.
newfoundland--understand?
harald

Post by harald »

Yes, I would also like to have a local artisan from Hydra, if possible.
At least we could first try this option in favour of the local people. If there is no one able to do it, then turn to Athens/Greece.

For the inscription any kind is fine for me, rather not too long.

As it seems, the organization again rests with Jarkko and the moderators while we only offer ideas (actually me not even an own idea). Time to say Thank You again!

P.S.: Dear Maarten, would please put me on the reservation list for 10 minutes sitting on the bench ...
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

For the inscription I nominate:

Like a bird on the wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Not only does this quote characterize Leonard's life, I believe that these lines directly refer to Hydra.
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
SylviaB

Post by SylviaB »

Hi all, just read it now, great ideas around, will still think about it and come back, but the bench-project sounds very good already, count me in (and I also apply to sit there for 10 - 15 minutes ;-) ).
greetings
Sylvia
Sylvia
rpan

Post by rpan »

The bench idea is lovely, I just wonder if it could be extended just slightly to include a couple of modest flat stones on the ground or behind with a couple of short quotations to make a little reflection zone of it. A local artisan would be great. But happy to contribute to whatever is final choice.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Henning

Post by Henning »

I absolutely support the idea of a stone bench on Hydra though my favorite place for that would be the beautiful spot high up Vlichos with the beautiful view upon ocean and Vlichos beach. The old bench there is rotten down and needs to be renewed anyways. The place is a bit offside of course but charming.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
martali

Post by martali »

:D

I love the stone bench idea definitely, it is just simple, humble, sublime, meaningful, memorable and durable ...
And probably the best possible to implement in a relatively not very long time, using the local Greek artist and contractor.

I'd like to participate in the project with a great joy for sure, will invite some friends to join also.

Anyway, please count me in any idea will be decided!

Marta
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

The idea of a stone bench is so timely - count me in!

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

i love the lines leonard gave us in 2002 for the hydra -event

" the road i too long
the sky is too vast
the wandering heart
is homeless at last"

or

"Follow me the wise man said,
but he walked behind"

written in stone..
ute
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

a stone bench somewhere in the vicinity of kamini sounds like a great idea..well done anne...personally as far as inscriptions are concerned i think less is more...just a simple line to say the bench was erected to commemorate/celebrate leonard cohen's 80th. birthday....too many written thoughts or lines of poetry no matter how beautiful or meaningful tend towards the kitsch or dare I say even funereal in a situation like this...just a personal view....ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Doris

Post by Doris »

So many good ideas have been described here. I like the idea of the stone bench particularly well and it seems to be feasible in the relatively short time. Maybe with a few particularly nice sets by LC decorated. Though I do not personally be able to visit Hydra in this life, but I could imagine that it might be for other LC friends a special feeling to sit down on this bench. So it will be my great honor to participate as part of my unfortunately limited options in this beautiful project.
Of course the sentences "Like a bird on the wire , like a drunk in a midnight choir I have tried in my way to be free" would fit very well. I personally would quote from my two forever favorite songs. Night comes on: "I said Mother I´m frightened the thunder and the lightning I´ll never come through this alone. She said, I´ll be with you, my shawl wrapped around you, my hand on your head when you go, and the night came on it was very calm, I wanted the night to go on and on but she said go back to the world. Or from "Coming back to you": Even in your arms I know I´ll never get it right, even when you bend to give me comfort in the night I´ve got to have your word on this or none of it is true and all I´ve said was just instead of coming back to you".
But I´m afraid Ta Ken is right, that is too long.
I´m sure, everything you will decide, will be fine.
And all I´ve said
was just instead of
Coming back to you.
Dem

Post by Dem »

I also vote for a bench on Hydra.
If i remember well there are some
stone bences on the way from the
port to Mandraki.

I will be on Hydra this coming June
so i might be able to discuss the whole
project with some of the local people there.

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

jassu mitso, eisse o kaliteros!!
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

The stone bench is a great idea which Anne & I fully support and will contribute to help make it happen.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

Inscription?

You were always the one.

It is short and easy and can have different meanings:
- We talking to LC
- LC talking to us
- LC talking to Greece, Hydra
- LC talking to Marianne