Live in Dublin Sound

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
icecreamtruck

Re: Live in Dublin Sound

Post by icecreamtruck »

Yes it sounds like they have fixed it. It now is by far the best of the live recordings.

What bothers me is that they have taken action without admitting that anything was wrong. They either provided the wrong audio or they have remixed it.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
Geoff wrote:Comparing the iTunes clips available for Everybody Knows on Live In London with the new one on Live In Dublin, the Dublin version certainly sounds very flat with little ambience. Let's hope it's not a true reflection of the sound but there's no reason to think it's not.

I recall some people who were at the Dublin concerts writing that there was a lot of audience 'interaction'. I wonder if this very close flat sound was the only way of excluding some of that ambient noise if it was too distracting.
I don't want to prejudge the DVD but I did watch the So Long Marianne clip from the link hansr posted. I was astonished - I couldn't hear ANY audience singing at all and I know FOR A FACT that the audience were singing at the top of the voices. I think you may be right Geoff as the audience appears to have been cut out completely. A great shame, if true, because that's what makes the atmosphere on a great night and it goes to the very heart of why Leonard loves performing in Dublin so much.

Not long to wait now till we find out for sure.

Wendy
I am on record elsewhere and saying that I don't go for a karaoke type night, I go to see the artist sing and listen to their words. There are many solo artists who like the audience to sing almost through the gig. Having said all that, it has come to pass that "So long Marianne" is now a jolly sing along and I have to admit that I have absolutely nothing against that BUT it is so bluddy annoying when people around me appear to think they have the same "golden voice" as Leonard during many of the songs, when all I (and I can but assume others as well) want to do is listen to Leonard, the band and what they have to deliver. Again I will add there are one or two other numbers that now have the trademark sing along, usually during the encores and again, it does tend to finish a good evening off.

It is of course just my personal opinion but I do really hope that the 3 x CD's at least keeps most of the screaming and oohs and aahs off the recordings. Hard to know what Sony believe is best for the DVD.....After all you can buy the Osmonds old DVD's and see audience participation done a lot better :lol:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

If the mix has been somewhat corrected on iTunes now, what is happening to all of the original DVD's which are, no doubt in warehouses ready to be dispensed for pre-orders? I would imagine these are pressed way in advance. Maybe this was not the best concert to be chosen given all the background noise.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
jerry

Post by jerry »

Cheshire gal wrote:If the mix has been somewhat corrected on iTunes now, what is happening to all of the original DVD's which are, no doubt in warehouses ready to be dispensed for pre-orders? I would imagine these are pressed way in advance. Maybe this was not the best concert to be chosen given all the background noise.
Good point. I'm holding off until I see some reviews and customer comments. If everything is good then I'll order.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

jarkko wrote:Don't worry guys.
You have only watched a low resolution promotional clip. It cannot be compared with the final product.
I told Ed Sanders about your worries, and he said:
I think that it must be an itunes (low resolution) problem!! It all sounds great (to me and others who have heard it!) on the CD and DVD. I think people might want to wait for the real thing!
As Jarkko has previously said there is nothing wrong with the mix on the CD, DVD, MP3 or Blu-ray. Even though reviewers cannot publish their reviews yet, SONY and Leonard's management have received advanced copies and all is great. Doug Heselgrave of Paste Magazine wrote a few days ago on Leonard's Facebook page:
Listening for the last few days to Leonard Cohen's newest 'Live in Dublin' Just when you thought you'd heard it all and there was nothing left to say or hear....it's gorgeous, the best yet. Live review soon. Here's the last one. Lots of the same songs with very different treatments. (Link to Songs From The Road omitted)
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Post by guest »

I must say, on the iTunes samples it doesn't sound too much different to how it was before, with Live in London still having much more atmosphere and depth. Still, there's probably not much more to say about this now until the CDs are released and we see what the verdict is. I certainly hope it lives up to the expectations generated by the concerts last summer, which will live in the memory a long time.
harald

Post by harald »

Vicomte wrote: I am on record elsewhere and saying that I don't go for a karaoke type night, I go to see the artist sing and listen to their words. There are many solo artists who like the audience to sing almost through the gig. Having said all that, it has come to pass that "So long Marianne" is now a jolly sing along and I have to admit that I have absolutely nothing against that BUT it is so bluddy annoying when people around me appear to think they have the same "golden voice" as Leonard during many of the songs, when all I (and I can but assume others as well) want to do is listen to Leonard, the band and what they have to deliver. Again I will add there are one or two other numbers that now have the trademark sing along, usually during the encores and again, it does tend to finish a good evening off.
Thanks, Vicomte. You expressed my feelings.
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

hansr wrote:And how do you like this?

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20141118_01381906

Greetings from Holland,

Hans
At least for perhaps for the first time it's possible to hear what Hattie, Charlie and Sharon sounded like on the chorus of So long marianne. At every concert i've been too the audience singing contribution masked this .
However , in so far as audience recordings , especially from Dublin , might pick up perhaps too much of the audience singing along( which is great atmosphere ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC5xv3JKy8E
I suspect the official live in Dublin mix will include too little ( and miss much of the 'atmosphere') Viewers who didn't attend live concerts may well assume that Leonard's comment 'You sing so pretty' refers to the stage singers. True but that's not who the compliment was directed at !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

FOXWOOD wrote:
Mabeanie1 wrote:.

I agree with Wendy . I choose to play the audience recordings because you re-live the atmosphere of the night. I have travelled to Ireland to experience the special atmosphere of the concerts there. In "So Long Marianne" Leonard would often just stand and hold his hat whist listening to the crowd singing the chorus.

Hopefully - rather than a director's commentary , there will be an option of "Full audience experience" on the dvd ! (Although I doubt it)
What a good idea !
Now that would be wonderfully innovative- and dvds can have , for sure, alternative soundtracks!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
ilia

Post by ilia »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2GAYDY ... MKlzjdoWuQ - Live in Dublin Trailer with signs of audience interaction.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Thanks cohenadmirer for giving us the link from hansr. This is really the first time I have ever heard Sharon, and the Webb sisters sing on 'So Long Marianne' and it was most enjoyable. I love this video. Can really enjoy the song without the off-tune audience. Great.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
astranger

Post by astranger »

The live in Dublin trailer sounds excellent, as does Bird on the Wire
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I myself am disappointed that the audience singing is not included in So Long Marrianne especially since he addresses them. This is part of what makes a Dublin concert so appealing. I had actually just mentioned to a friend that I would buy Live in Dublin because of the Irish audience and their enthusiasm towards Leonard. This now makes me think twice.

I was at Coachella where Hallelujah for Songs of the road was recorded. The audience sang along with Leonard everytime he sang the chorus of Halleluah but only the very last one was included which I thought was brilliant. It was very powerful and affective. It what helps makes that rendition of this song so amazing! I think they could have something similar with So Long Marriane.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

Vicomte, it's wonderful to see that neither Leonard nor the millions of people who have had the pleasure of experiencing his concerts do not share your views. Addressing the Dublin audience at the end of that amazing concert, Leonard said "It's been a great joy for me to be united with you in the pleasure of song"

It sounds like you are the one who is out of tune!
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Mikeaus wrote:Vicomte, it's wonderful to see that neither Leonard nor the millions of people who have had the pleasure of experiencing his concerts do not share your views. Addressing the Dublin audience at the end of that amazing concert, Leonard said "It's been a great joy for me to be united with you in the pleasure of song"

It sounds like you are the one who is out of tune!
Millions of people don't agree with me, care to name say just 100 people out of those millions?

There is a vast difference between being present at such a gig and quite another to sell it others on a CD who really just want to hear the songs from the wordsmith himself and of course to hear the instruments and voices of the other very serious artists. As I have stated, So Long Marianne,well OK, even the encores have an element of singalong for those who wish to join in but sorry, after almost what seems a lifetime, this is not my want from a Cohen gig. After all, how long until some audiences turn the concerts in to a congalonga Max type gig :roll:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”