THE CLEANEST SHOES IN THE WORLD

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
dreamermusic

THE CLEANEST SHOES IN THE WORLD

Post by dreamermusic »

Usually, what it is hard to "understand" is Cohen's lyrics. But having a view to the Popular Problems booklet, one can wonder why all the pics are Leonard cleaning his shoes!
Any comment on that? Obviously, cleaning our shoes is a "popular problem" in our "civil life".
Could it be related to the Bible? (Jesus cleaning sinners' feet).

We all know Cohen is Virgo and Virgo are very clean and tidy. Any suggestions about the photos are welcome!
-Madrid 1993 (standing up face to face to Leonard, leaning my arms upon the stage (no cams, no security line), my hands touched Cohen's feet!) (talked to Cohen for 20 minutes after concert!!!)
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-Madrid 2012 (1st row centred facing Leonard!!)
-FOREVER
MarieM

Re: THE CLEANEST SHOES IN THE WORLD

Post by MarieM »

I took it as a simile and a beautiful one. Leonard is shown clearly at different times (by his varied garb) carefully tending to the polishing of his shoes. This is much like the way he tends to his songs, all the time carefully polishing.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

The first two songs mention shoes. Or, he might have thought it was humorous. Or, it might just be an opportunity to show off his really excellent legs.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Dreamermusic, it might help you to know that (according to a post in Heck of a Guy's blog, which I tried to find for you, but couldn't - sorry) - Leonard has a ritual of polishing his shoes before every concert that he gives. The pictures in the booklet are from photos taken by his assistant, as he engaged in this ritual before concerts. We can't know for sure Leonard's reasons for the ritual, but personally, I think it's very interesting & very touching that he does this, & I love the pictures. I also agree with the simile mentioned by Marie, & perhaps that's the reason, or one of the reasons, the pics were chosen for the booklet - but of course, that's open to interpretation.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Rachel and Dreamermusic, here's the link ;-)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10371&start=16725#p348519
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thanks for providing the link, Bev. I was going to search again, but now I don't have to!
B4real

Post by B4real »

My pleasure, Rachel! ..... and they certainly are great photos :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

I personally think his ritual of polishing his shoes before every concert stems from his mindset that touring in a band is much like being a soldier in an army. I come from a family of soldiers and the one thing a remember about my uncles and from what I saw in photos of my grandfather was that their boots/shoes were always shined perfectly. I myself am a police officer so I also am a person who respects a good shine and often find myself engaged in this very same ritual before going into work (or battle depending on your point of view on our current state as a society) ;-) .
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Field Commander Cohen.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
dreamermusic

Post by dreamermusic »

Thanks everybody for your comments! I completely agree with you all!! The photos are indeed wonderful. Cohen's said the best things he knows how to do are touring and washing the dishes. He can also add "and polishing my shoes" :D. Very "intimate" (whatever pronunciation of the word he wishes to use ;-) ) pics.
-Madrid 1993 (standing up face to face to Leonard, leaning my arms upon the stage (no cams, no security line), my hands touched Cohen's feet!) (talked to Cohen for 20 minutes after concert!!!)
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-FOREVER
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

A gentleman from head to toe.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
phillip

Post by phillip »

all very good comments that reminds me I must polish my shoes!!!
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
dreamermusic

Post by dreamermusic »

phillip wrote:all very good comments that reminds me I must polish my shoes!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-FOREVER

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”