Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
regensburg

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby regensburg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:01 am

Exactly my sentiments Cheshire Girl. Leonard does appreciate his audience and has never been happier than in the last 5 years. How wonderful it must be for an entertainer in his years to have such a wonderful applaus and Love. I rest my case.
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:08 am

For goodness sake, read my words. They are my own thoughts, I don't need to see other shows in other countries, I do not need to follow LC endlessly around gathering up gigs like notches on a bed post. At the concerts I attend I just hoped to listen to Leonard Cohen as it once was without the crowd baying and singing along. Seeing people happy slapping and looking at each other to see that ones joys are reciprocated holds no interest to me. Listening and watching a DVD where the audience is heard singing along and his voice is drowned out so much he has to abandon his own singing, would do very little for me. I simply wish that if and when a DVD is put on sale, any audience participation is close to zero. As I said, people storming to the front near the end I see as pretty acceptable but before that, I PERSONALLY have no joy nor want of.
You rest your case regensburg? what daft sentiment is that, is this forum now a court?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
susanne30072009

Postby susanne30072009 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Vicomte wrote:For goodness sake, read my words. They are my own thoughts, I don't need to see other shows in other countries, I do not need to follow LC endlessly around gathering up gigs like notches on a bed post. At the concerts I attend I just hoped to listen to Leonard Cohen as it once was without the crowd baying and singing along. Seeing people happy slapping and looking at each other to see that ones joys are reciprocated holds no interest to me. Listening and watching a DVD where the audience is heard singing along and his voice is drowned out so much he has to abandon his own singing, would do very little for me. I simply wish that if and when a DVD is put on sale, any audience participation is close to zero. As I said, people storming to the front near the end I see as pretty acceptable but before that, I PERSONALLY have no joy nor want of.
You rest your case regensburg? what daft sentiment is that, is this forum now a court?
... I can't understand such quotes. For what is a Live-Concert for? To hear just only the clear Sound, the Instruments etc? Surely not!
It lives from the interacting between the Performer and his audience.
Surely, I didn'l like the shoutings at the wrong moments too.
But: a Concert is simply the only place, where you have the Chance, to hear AND SEE all together live: the Artist, the Sound and the reaction of the Performance. Live-Concerts lives from that Momentum.
If you don't want that the People will sing along or clap or dance, then listen to the Studio-CDs and look your Live-DVDs... you can skip the "audience-part" of it.
Nobody say, that you have to travel to other Countrys or so for another Concert. You make the choice...
But don't blame the People, who enjoy this, who did find a lot of friends all over the world because of travelling to other LC-Concerts.
Noone forced you to do so. But: to everyone his own, isn't it so?
We was at a view Concerts all over Europe... this was really one of our best decisions. I have just one regret: that we don't bought more Tickets. The reason is simple. We really find lot of nice People, who share something....
And I can tell you that (I mean it seriously): we are from Zürich; If you want a very quiet, bit of reluctant, bit of a shy audience, then go to a concert in Zürich....
I was very, very lucky, that this Concert in Zürich was not my last LC-Concert on "my schedule"...
It would be a unsatisfying end of the live-experiences! Clearly not because of Leonard Cohen or the UHTC....
They gave everything, that they had, it was a "usual" Concert on this behalf. But the Audience was too shy, too reluctant, too quiet...
to say it clear: the Audience was a bit of "cold"... It was a perfect night on behalf of the Music etc. But the "Live-Magic" had no Chance to came up...
The reactions of the crowd is one of the most important things at a Live-Concert... when everything is in a good Balance, you will have a perfect evening. I am very sure, that a lot of People would tell you the same thing. As I wrote before: when a drunken Person shout some stupid things in a quiet time at the Concert, let's say, when Leonard Cohen begin with the Song "Suzanne", then the Song can be ruined. But I just make one such experience...
In all other Concerts, were we was in, it was a very good Balance between the reactions of the audience and the performing.
Beside: when Leonard Cohen is in a very good mood, then he left behind everybody with a "open mouth"; open, but "quiet"...

Uwe + Susanne, Switzerland
Last edited by susanne30072009 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regensburg

Postby regensburg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:24 pm

You have to have the last word don't you Mr. Vicomte!

Thank you Susanne and Uwe for your beautiful comments.
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:30 pm

regensburg wrote:You have to have the last word don't you Mr. Vicomte!
Excuse me?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
leonardthecat

Postby leonardthecat » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:24 pm

I'll just be happy if there is a new Live dvd from the last tour. The sound and performance now has changed so much from Live In London. And if it is from one of the many concerts I've been to, all the better. It'll be like another notch on my bedpost. :lol:
holydove

Postby holydove » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:21 pm

I attended a number of concerts during the recent tours of 2008-2013, & aside from the singing, sometimes, of isolated phrases such as "I'm your man" & "then we take Berlin", the only song the audiences really sang along with was So Long Marianne, & usually they only sang along with the chorus. And this is not a recent development of the past 5 years. I've heard many recordings from the '70's & 80's where the audiences sang along with So Long Marianne, esp. at concerts in Europe. So it's really an old tradition. There are sometimes a few lone audience members singing along with other songs, but fortunately, that never seems to continue for very long, & yes, I would find it very disturbing if someone near me decided to lend his/her voice to Leonard's performance throughout the concert. But singing along with So Long Marianne - like I said, that really qualifies as an old tradition - a nice tradition, IMO - & Leonard does seem to love it.

My first LC concert was in 1970, & I certainly don't remember everything, but I have a few quite vivid memories, one of which is this: Leonard performed Lady Midnight, & when he was repeatedly singing the line, "you've won me/ you've won me/ my lord", he said to the audience, "sing with me". It was a rather reserved, inhibited audience, & the response to Leonard's request was hesitant, so he repeated the words, "sing with me", & slowly the audience did join in. Leonard asked the audience to sing with him. And my impression was that Leonard was trying to get the audience more emotionally involved, or at least, more openly expressive of their involvement, & he saw the invitation to sing along as a way to increase the connection between himself & the audience. Anyway, that was many moons ago, & one can make of it what one will, but I thought some people might find this little anecdote interesting. . .
Goldin

Postby Goldin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:52 pm

That's interesting, Rachel, thanks for sharing!

Personally I did raise my voice only in Pula - during Marianne and Manhattan chorus, pretty quiet (hope so), and much louder - as Closing Time's No No No. Imho, that's a great new tradition and LC seems to enjoy the moment. I believe you're right: the audiences don't sing along often. Anyway - is it often, is it not - sorry for being stupidly pathetic: as it was sung in 1979, this is my perfect world, my one reality.
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
holydove

Postby holydove » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:44 pm

Goldin wrote:That's interesting, Rachel, thanks for sharing!

Personally I did raise my voice only in Pula - during Marianne and Manhattan chorus, pretty quiet (hope so), and much louder - as Closing Time's No No No. Imho, that's a great new tradition and LC seems to enjoy the moment. I believe you're right: the audiences don't sing along often. Anyway - is it often, is it not - sorry for being stupidly pathetic: as it was sung in 1979, this is my perfect world, my one reality.
You are very welcome, Roman & thanks for your comments.

And you are not pathetic at all. 1979 - wasn't that when they started it with the verse: "here comes the morning boat/ here comes the evening train. . ." Is that what you mean? If so, I agree - that was totally sublime!! My only issue with that version is that he often sang a shortened version of the song, & I always miss hearing the verses that he left out!!

And yes, I agree that the "no, no, no" in closing time is indeed a wonderful new tradition & I hope it has a very long life!

Editing: No, no - I just remembered, the "here comes the morning boat" version was with Julie & Perla in '88/'93; I don't have a clear memory of the '79 version, at the moment, so I will have to listen to some of those again very soon! But I know that I loved everything from '79, so I'm sure your perfect world will be perfect for me too!
Goldin

Postby Goldin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 am

The quote comes from a 'Double Lover' (uncommon title ;-) ) version of Lover Lover Lover. See DrHGuy's post for an example (although I prefer Copenhagen 1979, the recording is less quality, but the rendition's more emotional; can share a file if you're interested).

...Ah, I should have remembered it was you who has transcripted this hidden gem (thanks for that)!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17213&p=273616#p273616 (Copenhagen & Frankfurt: And there is nothing that is not my world, my broken world, my broken world, my whole reality)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17213&p=273616#p273735 (Paris: There is nothing that is not my world, my perfect world, my one reality)
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
holydove

Postby holydove » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:35 am

Sorry, Roman - I thought you were referring to a '79 version of So Long Marianne, & I thought you were saying that version was your perfect world. . .but now I understand what you were saying - the world of Leonard Cohen - yes, the perfect world, the one reality. . .doesn't matter who sings along or how often - as long as Leonard Cohen is singing, there is wholeness & perfection, even in the brokenness. . .

And yes, I love those '79 versions of Lover Lover Lover - they are my favorite versions of that song! Thank you for reminding me, I haven't listened to a '79 concert in a long time, & now you have inspired me to listen to them again!
harald

Postby harald » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:57 pm

my five cent:

I don´t know if Mr. Cohen likes the participation of the audience.
I can tell you what I like.

I go to a Leonard Cohen concert to hear and see Mr. Cohen live.
And I can´t have that at home with studio albums.
I don´t go there for a singalong with the audience, I don´t go there to share some atmosphere.
I love to see friends at the meetups, but the concert is the concert is the mass.
One does not take photos during the mass.
I am a concentrated listener.
It distracts me when my neighbour is taking photos or video clips.
I hate it.
I´d be glad if you could restrain your applause to in between the songs.
I don´t need no rhythmic clapping during the songs.
My neighbour drinking bear, singing or clapping or taking photos or eating a hamburger, what difference, it all disturbs.
As said before I can tolerate your enthusiasm during the encores.
Can even accept your chorus with So long, Marianne.
But else, please let me have the concert. Pure.
Thank you.

Harald
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Susy

Postby Susy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:21 am

... Thank you Harald !!! for your comment !
we meet in Zuerich Aug. 24. 2013 for a short time before the Concert !
we are not * Susanne & Uwe * .....we are Susanne and Marina :D and my husband , and the Concert was GREAT !!!
Susy
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:59 pm

This thread should be renamed "Speculation about Possible Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD."

Then, when there is actually something concrete to discuss (such as an actual upcoming live DVD), then this thread can happily disappear into the archives. Just a thought...
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:00 am

I don't think we'd need to re-name it
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”