Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
regensburg

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby regensburg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:09 pm

Thank you KatLaw, yes it was really mesmerizing that night. I am so glad to hear from you. I hope that we will see Leonard again and maybe we will meet again .
Mikeaus

Postby Mikeaus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Vicomte wrote:Well sorry but it is my view and if he enjoys it, all well and good. For my part this is nothing like how it started out and I have to say I have been quite amazed at the antics shown at some of the shows in the last 5 years. If you really believe that this is why LC wrote so many of his quite incredible songs with the meanings so deep, just to see and hear people singing at the tops of their voices, miles out of tune and leaping up and down cooing, then that is fine, you believe he enjoys it, I prefer that he tolerates it and at his age, well why not.
Far from tolerating the audience participation, I believe Leonard stood in awe of the audience's reaction at the concerts that I have attended. The Lissadell concert, for example, was totally amazing and particularly because of the wonderful contribution of the 10,000 strong choir which turned up to participate in the historic event. There was no doubt Leonard enjoyed every single moment and must have been so proud to hear and see so many people in front of him who had obviously kept his music alive in such a profound way. Comments like "you sing so pretty" and "you are awesome" showed how enthralled and delighted he was. The beauty of Leonard Cohen's songs is that they are not just for listening to. They make people want to participate in their magic. Many of us may have been out of tune, but what the hell. I saw many a tear of joy being shed on that night. Leonard did not want the night to end, nor did the audience.
I can listen to Leonard's songs every day, but I cannot create the magic of being in the audience at his concerts. Far from wanting us to shut up, Leonard left the singing to the audience on a number of occasions and we were delighted that he respected our participation so much.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
gallina

Postby gallina » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 pm

I'm looking forward that concert DVD, I hope that we can enjoy it as soon as possible!! While waiting for the new album :D and (maybe), new concerts :razz:

It will be a great one, if I think of those 21 concerts I attended, and i tought they were my "very best" ones, without speaking about the other 350 :shock:

And it must be a double DVD as the most of them were 3.5 hours long or more!!!

I think 2 whole concert DVD-s in 6 years are the minimum!! The concerts in these last 2 years were much more different in several ways, and I just looking forward to see a professional concert film, even though we all made lots of fan videos!!!
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
Cheshire gal

Postby Cheshire gal » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23 am

I am also looking forward to a new 'Live DVD' from one of the 20013 Concerts. Any one of them would be welcome.

As far as Leonard being annoyed by audience participation during his concerts. I just cannot agree, and think Regensburg and Mikeaus are right on the mark. At this stage of his career It must be so gratifying for him to realize how much these songs mean to us. He looks so happy when the audience joins in the celebration.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
astranger

Postby astranger » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:48 am

Not to veer totally off topic but one of the best part of these shows has been the resurgance and revitalization of these songs in a live context. Leonard and the band breathed new life into them and the audiences thus time around have responded appropriately. My first experience in Durham 2009 left me short for words. The audience cheered during certain verses and laughed during others. Everyone was on their feet during closing time. The joy is so tangible for everyone involved and that's one of the many reasons these concerts have been the best beyond our wildest dreams, including leonard and the band. Needless to say I am eagerly awaiting an Old Ideas World Tour DVD.
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
evie

Postby evie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:04 pm

James T wrote:I always enjoy the singalong atmosphere at the end of his shows, but if it was the whole night through it would annoy me incredibly.
I have to agree with you James T after all we are there to see Leonard but to join in at the end is like a union of souls with Leonard. Again I am really looking forward to his upcoming dvd :-)
I heard of a man who says words so beautifully that if he only speaks their name women give themselves to him.

Manchester 1972; London O2 2008; Bournemouth 2008; Manchester 2008; Dublin 2012; Bournemouth 2013; Brighton 2013
Albert

Postby Albert » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:08 pm

This is all endless speculation here. Heavenly sources told me last night, that there will be a Live DVD from Berlin 2015 late next year, and thats
what I am looking for !!
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Maybe I should contribute with the p-word to this thread? ;-)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
johnos

Postby johnos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:18 pm

my guess is a live album 2014 followed by a studio album early 2015 followed by a 2015 tour, patiently awaiting news, I don't expect there to be a long delay in the live album release in order to 'keep the momentum going' :D
mutti

Postby mutti » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:26 am

Thanks Jarkko! Because of you I am learning the art of the "p"-word" and that is a blessing in itself. :lol:
I hope there are lots of things in the future we all have to be "p"-word about.
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
regensburg

Postby regensburg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:24 am

Wonderfully said Mikeaus, I am so happy you agree with me.
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Mikeaus wrote:
.....I can listen to Leonard's songs every day, but I cannot create the magic of being in the audience at his concerts. Far from wanting us to shut up, Leonard left the singing to the audience on a number of occasions and we were delighted that he respected our participation so much.
And the others who went to the concert to hear Leonard's words and listen to the songs just had to suffer the seriously off tune warbling and cooing. Seems a pretty good swap to me, up to £200 or so for a good ticket to listen to others singing his songs believing they are better than LC :roll: I know that at the end of the gig, people will want to come down to be nearer, join in, I fully understand that but it is during the rest of the concert that just perhaps some people might prefer it as it once was. Do you really think LC would walk off if the audience only listened and then applauded, wildly or otherwise? As I said before, the gigs and the way they once were has changed for me but hey, this is a forum that is mostly read by love struck followers, so I doubt that anyone else will think the same as I and that's OK by me, I am just saying it as I see it.....
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Susy

Postby Susy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:10 am

I think the same as you Vicomte ... after very happy 9 Concerts in this beautiful 5 years I still remember one but forget about the city ... Leonard was singing my / our most beautiful song * Hallelujah * and after a few minutes some " fans " from the back started to sing with Him :( and in first row I could see very well on His face that He does not like it in this way ... they almost ruined His most beautiful song ... and a Man next to me , not a lady , started to cry and said to me " why don't they not just listen to Him ,I almost can't understand Leonard !? " what can I say " there are fans and others " :oops:
Susy
Mikeaus

Postby Mikeaus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:41 am

Dear Vicomte & Susy

When Leonard resumes touring, hopefully you will get to experience the magic of a night like Lissadell captured so wonderfully by Albert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6B7yRurlu8

About the Lissadell concert, Gwen said:
When speaking to Leonard in Las Vegas he still seemed overwhelmed about this concert and many of the crew listed this as their favourite stop of the 3 year tour
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Cheshire gal

Postby Cheshire gal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks Mikeaus for showing again this video taken by Albert at Lissadell. I think this should put to bed any thought that Leonard does not appreciate the audience participation at his concerts. He looks more than happy to see the enjoyment of his songs. Really, what more could any performer want than to see how much his music means to them?

This certainly was the case at the concerts I was privileged to attend.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”