Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
Vicomte
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby Vicomte » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:16 am

I'd like to see how they could edit out the chanting on "So long Marianne" :lol:

I don't see that the band are any happier in Ireland as anywhere else to be honest, it is rather arrogant to think that he is at home in home in Dublin and not elsewhere, don't you think? Anyone at the show who knows about these things should be able to say if the shows were recorded, not by the two cameras at the front that are there to put the show live on the screens but by other cameras strategically placed at the venue.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
User avatar
Mabeanie1
Posts: 2721
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:03 am
Location: UK

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby Mabeanie1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:31 am

Vicomte wrote:Anyone at the show who knows about these things should be able to say if the shows were recorded, not by the two cameras at the front that are there to put the show live on the screens but by other cameras strategically placed at the venue.
As best I know, all the shows are recorded (except possibly for the shows where there is no room for the big screens e.g. some of the theatre venues in North America). There are multi camera positions - at the back and in front of the stage + automatic cameras on the stage - and the film is mixed as they go along, as you can tell from the big screens or the screens on the cameras if you are unfortunate enough to be sitting behind one as I have been.

You have a good point re crowd noise in Dublin Vicomte. I wonder how much of it gets picked up by the vocal and instrument mikes? Not so easy to edit out .....

Wendy
johnos
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:16 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby johnos » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:36 am

arrogance is a little strong, I think its widely accepted that Marianne in Dublin in special, this does not take away from other locations, I have luckily been to 3 concerts this summer and Dublin audience participation (and band response) was above far above the other concerts I attended
Vicomte
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby Vicomte » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:53 am

The problem is, it is not a competition to see which audience participates the most in assisting Leonard to sing one of his songs. It may well sit just great with those attending in Dublin to sing (mostly noisily and sadly out of tune) along with a few of his other songs but every audience gets the full effort from LC and the troop. He gives no more in Ireland than he would do in New Zealand, or Bournemouth, or wherever you choose to mention in the World. I bet if truth be known when Marianne is being sung and his words are drowned out, he is thinking, "Well it's a waste of time me even singing" he may grin and say how sweet it all is but they may as well bung on a karaoke machine for this particular song and let Leonard have a blow :lol:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby Vicomte » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:09 am

Mabeanie1 wrote:
Vicomte wrote:Anyone at the show who knows about these things should be able to say if the shows were recorded, not by the two cameras at the front that are there to put the show live on the screens but by other cameras strategically placed at the venue.
As best I know, all the shows are recorded (except possibly for the shows where there is no room for the big screens e.g. some of the theatre venues in North America). There are multi camera positions - at the back and in front of the stage + automatic cameras on the stage - and the film is mixed as they go along, as you can tell from the big screens or the screens on the cameras if you are unfortunate enough to be sitting behind one as I have been.

You have a good point re crowd noise in Dublin Vicomte. I wonder how much of it gets picked up by the vocal and instrument mikes? Not so easy to edit out .....

Wendy
Are you sure Wendy?

A friend of mine hires out professional video/audio equipment, including for the larger part, outside cameras (Including inside venues) the two either side of the stage are purely for the screens, what is recorded by them might be of use if mixed in with other cameras but in Brighton and Bournemouth all is visible are far as looking around the theatre goes. So seeing where cameras might be placed (and the cameras for professional recording use are rather large in general) should be quite clear. As can be seen by the two at the front, they need space and it needs to include the cameraman. So hard to see as to how most shows are recorded, do you know that for a fact?

The auto camera on stage isn't so good really, it gives shots from above the "group" or behind to include the audience but that is about all. In concerts where we know it is being filmed, there have been large cameras in the centre and at the back, as well as up front but I bow to your greater knowledge if you say ALL Leonards concerts are recorded and not just by the two at the front, which on their own couldn't really be used to offer any use as a DVD.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
johnos
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:16 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby johnos » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Live album, predicted track listing, classics, plus old ideas + classics not on live in London cd, not in order and assuming the show was recorded over 2 nights in Dublin Sept 2013

Dance Me to the End of Love
Bird on a Wire
Who By Fire
The Darkness
Amen
Come Healing
Lover Lover Lover
Anthem
Suzanne
Chelsea Hotel
Waiting for the Miracle
I've Got A Secret
The Partisan
Alexandra Leaving (Sharon Robinson)
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (poem)
Hallelujah
So Long Marianne
Going Home
First We Take Manhattan
Famous Blue Raincoat
Closing Time
I Tried to Leave You
Night comes on
User avatar
Zimmy66
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby Zimmy66 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:52 pm

johnos wrote:Live album, predicted track listing, classics, plus old ideas + classics not on live in London cd, not in order and assuming the show was recorded over 2 nights in Dublin Sept 2013

Dance Me to the End of Love
Bird on a Wire
Who By Fire
The Darkness
Amen
Come Healing
Lover Lover Lover
Anthem
Suzanne
Chelsea Hotel
Waiting for the Miracle
I've Got A Secret
The Partisan
Alexandra Leaving (Sharon Robinson
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (poem)
Hallelujah
So Long Marianne
Going Home
First We Take Manhattan
Famous Blue Raincoat
Closing Time
I Tried to Leave You
Night comes on
I hope to god it's not, going by the YouTube clips I've watched. As Vicomte has noted above, Marianne is transformed into no more than a (very poor) pub karaoke. And as for Closing Time. The audience can't even chant out the two words at the same time as Leonard. It's like clapping on one & three. Which they also do.

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
Vicomte
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby Vicomte » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:44 pm

:lol: :lol:

Robert you have a way with words, I am of the thought that you might be related in some way to the man in the Fedora. ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
User avatar
phillip
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:49 am
Location: warrington uk

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby phillip » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:38 pm

awesome cant wait
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
User avatar
jarkko
Site Admin
Posts: 7122
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Espoo, Finland
Contact:

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby jarkko » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Hope to see this by the year end
Unfortunately not going to happen.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
User avatar
TommyJ
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby TommyJ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks Jarkko. I for one am prepared to wait as long as it takes. Having attended the "Live in London" show, I was so excited that I bought 2 copies of the DVD, just in case one got scratched. The "reserve" copy is still in its wrapping. I think it was this that sugggested to family members that I may have a problem!

Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
James-on-tour
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:16 pm
Location: Enniscorthy, Ireland

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby James-on-tour » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:42 pm

I was also at the 'LIve in London' show and at a London concert by
Stevie Wonder which was recorded. We were told that the Stevie Wonder
gig was being recorded but you do not notice anything different.

A friend of mine told me that the sound is taken from the sound desk so can be
perfect (I don't know but as he has done some recording - I believe him).

I thought that both the Dublin shows were excellent but that Thursday was sublime.
For me it ranked at least the equal of any other that I attended anywhere.

I do not want to appear arrogant or insult anybody but there was a considerable
difference in atmosphere between the London (or New York) shows and the Dublin shows.

A nice DVD from anywhere would be welcome ...
Athnuachan
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:29 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby Athnuachan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:39 pm

James-on-tour wrote:
I thought that both the Dublin shows were excellent but that Thursday was sublime.
For me it ranked at least the equal of any other that I attended anywhere.

I do not want to appear arrogant or insult anybody but there was a considerable
difference in atmosphere between the London (or New York) shows and the Dublin shows.

A nice DVD from anywhere would be welcome ...
Well said, James-on-tour .

I LOVED both Dublin shows, but would welcome a new DVD from anywhere.
Apart from anything else, Sharon's splendid "Alexandra Leaving" deserves to be recorded.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
evie
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby evie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Athnuachan wrote:
James-on-tour wrote:
Apart from anything else, Sharon's splendid "Alexandra Leaving" deserves to be recorded.
Most definitely agree and would love for this to be included

Eve
I heard of a man who says words so beautifully that if he only speaks their name women give themselves to him.

Manchester 1972; London O2 2008; Bournemouth 2008; Manchester 2008; Dublin 2012; Bournemouth 2013; Brighton 2013
songwriter
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Postby songwriter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:55 pm

I do sincerely hope it is the dublin show, for that contained the wondrous night comes on, one of my most beloved of all leonard cohen songs

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest