Leonard's vaults...

A new section for songs in progress and old unreleased songs and performances
frederik

Leonard's vaults...

Post by frederik »

In 6 months time it'll be 5 years since our beloved Leonard passed away. While his recordings and legacy remains to live on forever and we're blessed with his recordings, I'm wondering whether there are any thoughts/indications of exploring unreleased (live) recordings from his amazing career.
The Dylan Bootleg Series have spoiled (?) fans with alternate views on his amazing career. Similarly Neil Young is releasing vault recordings as other great artists do. I know there's grey market area releases on well known marketplaces. I bought some of these myself on record fairs in the past and cherish them. However, I'm kind of surprised/left wondering why no new releases from Leonard's vaults have cracked through the light of day. The copyright collections may be a nice way to start but I'm sure there is a broader audience for these.
Was this ever explored or is there anything on the horizon that we know about/can hope for?
its4inthemorning

Re: Leonard's vaults...

Post by its4inthemorning »

Frederik, just came across your post.

I surmise Leonard's family, ie Adam and Lorca, have the ultimate control of any unreleased music. I believe when "Thanks for the Dance" came out Adam or others mentioned that there were still songs that could be completed, but I've heard nothing about that since. This may be frustrating to fans, but perhaps the family has reasons for not wanting to put out what they consider unfinished work or to mimic what Bob Dylan and Neil Young are doing. A related topic is the memorial concert. It will soon be four years from when the concert occurred, and (someone correct me if I am wrong) no DVD has ever been released to the public. Now there might not be a huge market for such a DVD, but wouldn't even limited sales more than cover the mixing and production costs and provide a profit?

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
oliviarodrigo

Post by oliviarodrigo »

it would be nice if live recordings where to be made available and yes he did release live albums but live songs is a taster of how good he was back then and a full live concert from say the period 1972 to 1974 would be nice. even say a download so as to cut right back on costs and not to have to worry about how much or little it sells.
DennisBerlin

Post by DennisBerlin »

I just finished the second volume of "Untold Stories" by Michael Posner, wherein there is mentioned a demo cassette with a never published song called "You Can't Rely on Love" (p.330)

Certainly there's even more songs that never saw the light of publicity.

But, as its4inthemorning put it, it'll be all up to his family / the estate if there will be something in future to come yet. So, up to that (or not) - it's all about patience (as usual) and as Hamlet says "The readiness is all"...

Dennis
Patrick Hasselbank

Post by Patrick Hasselbank »

DennisBerlin wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:55 pm I just finished the second volume of "Untold Stories" by Michael Posner, wherein there is mentioned a demo cassette with a never published song called "You Can't Rely on Love" (p.330)

Certainly there's even more songs that never saw the light of publicity.

But, as its4inthemorning put it, it'll be all up to his family / the estate if there will be something in future to come yet. So, up to that (or not) - it's all about patience (as usual) and as Hamlet says "The readiness is all"...

Dennis
Dennis, is it possible to find those tracks in digital form? Maybe to buy them
DennisBerlin

Post by DennisBerlin »

Patrick, I doubt that there will be some digital copy somewhere.
That particular song "You Can't Rely on Love" mentioned in the book maybe has transformed to some completely different song over the years, who knows. Unfortunately, there is no further information to that track besides the title and being on a demo tape.

Concerning more songs, I've just been guessing.
I know there are still the tapes from the never finished album "Songs for Rebecca" in John Lissauer's vaults, but if they ever get released I don't know. Especially as some of the songs later got on the Spector album and on Recent Songs in a further transformed version (anyhow, there is a compilation by Allan Showalter on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttkHvGEosuM).

I guess we really have to see what the Cohen family will decide in future.

Return to “New Songs & Rarities”