Who by Fire by First Aid Kit (tribute album)

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
panjandrum

Re: Who by Fire by First Aid Kit (tribute album)

Post by panjandrum »

I checked out the YouTube of the full concert and it's really interesting overall. Sometimes covers hit the mark and sometimes they don't. I have a very hard time with covers that seem to lose the essence of the original work; I'll never like the way their facial expressions seem to be be making light, at the end of "Everybody Knows" of "Everybody Knows" because, to me, that's simply not the funny part of the song at all so I find those glances and smiles at that point to be utterly off-putting. There are funny parts; "everybody knows you've been discrete, but there were so many people you just had to meet, without your clothes" - now that's funny. Dark, sure, but funny and even uplifting in that "crack in everything" kind of way; look at the darkness and accept it for what it is, part of human nature.

But overall it's certainly a pretty interesting concert, much of the attraction being the interesting visuals, it's quite well made. I wonder how well it will work as audio-only.
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

Sofa Session: First Aid Kit - bbc radio 2 - wednesday 2nd june, 2021 - 19.30 hours uk time.

Jo Whiley

First Aid Kit play a Sofa Session for Jo, including music from their live tribute album to Leonard Cohen, Who By Fire.

Release date: 02 June 2021

1 hour, 30 minutes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wklh
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

Thanks for the link. I listened to the broadcast and interview with Johanna and Klara last night.
It kicks off at around 41 mins & 45seconds on the link. It starts with a selection by Klara as her song to dance to: Gram Parsons - "I can't dance.."
The girls give some context around their learned appreciation of Leonard Cohen and to the background to the tribute concerts in Stockholm. In their set, here, they play two Leonard covers: Suzanne & So Long Marianne. Overall very effusive and complimentary about Leonard, his work and his influence on them as musicians and well worth a listen.
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”