Kiki Dee "Dance Me to the End of Love"

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
John Etherington

Kiki Dee "Dance Me to the End of Love"

Post by John Etherington »

One of the U.K.s greatest female singers Kiki Dee, has recorded an interesting and original version of "Dance Me to the End of Love" on her new live CD with guitarist Carmelo Luggeri. The CD also includes fine covers of Joni Mitchell's "How Do You Stop" and Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" (plus four other great tracks).

A magic moment occurred for me last night when Kiki and Carmelo played at JW3, the Jewish community centre in Finchley Road (they were guests at Jane Siberry's concert). They only played a couple of songs, but at the last moment decided to play Leonard's song to lift the mood of the evening.

In the middle of the song (and without knowing me, or of my interest in Leonard), Kiki pulled me out of the audience to dance with her during "Dance Me to the End of Love"! She then handed me a copy of her and Carmelo's new CD, which includes the song. Here's a link for anyone wishing to order it:

http://www.kikiandcarmelo.com/product/s ... ive-vol-1/
Tony

Re: Kiki Dee "Dance Me to the End of Love"

Post by Tony »

Hello John,

That must have been an unexpected Christmas present for you in several ways. What an enjoyable experience!
B4real

Post by B4real »

That's the way to go, John! I'm guessing you didn't see that coming in your horoscope ;-)

I've always loved and have the record of her song Amoureuse since way back then.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I would love to hear Kiki Dee sing Dance me.... I did checkout her Amoureuse, as I had never heard it. That was a great performance Bev. Thank you for mentioning it. It should have been a classic.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I've always loved Kiki's version of "Amoreuse", as well as the French version by Veronique Sanson, who wrote it.

Here's an earlier live version of "Dance Me to the End of Love" by Kiki and Carmelo (wrongly listed as "Dance Me to the end of Time"). They've developed it since, but it shows how they give it their own unique treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVeX2gAzyY

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”