No Words (tribute song to LC)

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
B4real

No Words (tribute song to LC)

Post by B4real »

There is mention on the forum of this Canadian folk music group The Fugitives being avid LC fans but I can't see their tribute song to him posted here before. It was written for him the day after his passing. It's on their new album The Promise of Strangers and is called No Words.
One example is album highlight "No Words," dedicated to Leonard Cohen; "I have no words, he took them all," it declares, though the song does include such eloquent lyrics as "I never knew a stranger who hurt my heart better." The song begins slowly, just voice and guitar, with other group members gradually joining in on banjo and fiddle. A choir (dubbed the Awesome Strangers Gospel Choir) is then added, imparting a neo-gospel fervour.
http://exclaim.ca/music/article/the_fug ... _strangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj6WsixYtwE

Live at the Ryerson Church in Vancouver, Canada, with the Righteous Ramshackle Chorus -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0X-E2Kkws

LC said at the beginning of his song Morning Glory:
No words this time? No words. No, there are times when nothing can be done. Not this time.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
mutti

Re: No Words (tribute song to LC)

Post by mutti »

I have listened to this song by The Fugitives a number of times now and think it is so touching.
So perfect...and beautiful. I don't usually like covers (except a few) and these kinds of songs but this one got me.
Thanks Bev
Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
anny

Post by anny »

This song is so touching...thank you Lisa

anny
holydove

Post by holydove »

B4real wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:18 am
One example is album highlight "No Words," dedicated to Leonard Cohen; "I have no words, he took them all," it declares, though the song does include such eloquent lyrics as "I never knew a stranger who hurt my heart better."...
This song is indeed very beautiful & touching, & contrary to what the writer of the article said, I have to add that I think it is beautifully executed, & I love the added dimension of the choir.

Also, I believe the lyric referred to above is actually, "I never knew a stranger who heard my heart better". But "...hurt my heart better" works very well too!

Thank you, Bev, for bringing this here!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Glad you all enjoyed that song as did I! On both occasions, it is a wonderfully presented original tribute to Leonard!

And Rachel, you are right, the word is "heard" and that is written in the lyrics of the black and white video :)
I also wondered at the time of posting which is the correct name of the choir -
A choir (dubbed the Awesome Strangers Gospel Choir) is then added, imparting a neo-gospel fervour
Live at the Ryerson Church in Vancouver, Canada, with the Righteous Ramshackle Chorus
The writer of this article states the former and the video says the latter which I think is correct or maybe they have two different names or are different groups ;-)

Bev
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
holydove

Post by holydove »

B4real wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am
I also wondered at the time of posting which is the correct name of the choir -
A choir (dubbed the Awesome Strangers Gospel Choir) is then added, imparting a neo-gospel fervour
Live at the Ryerson Church in Vancouver, Canada, with the Righteous Ramshackle Chorus
The writer of this article states the former and the video says the latter which I think is correct or maybe they have two different names or are different groups ;-)

Bev
Hi Bev,

Yes, I wondered about those different choir names too. I thought maybe the Awesome Strangers Gospel was the choir on the album, since the writer seems to be talking about the album, & the Righteous Ramshackle is the one in the live performance; but who knows, that writer seems to be a bit off on some things... so either both choirs sound great, or one choir sounds great twice! :)

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”