Tom Jones' interpretation of Leonard Cohen's 'Tower Of Song'

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Hartmut

Tom Jones' interpretation of Leonard Cohen's 'Tower Of Song'

Post by Hartmut »

AlanM

Re: Tom Jones' interpretation of Leonard Cohen's 'Tower Of S

Post by AlanM »

I must confess I am not a big Tom Jones fan, but I think this is a very sensitive interpretation of "Tower Of Song".
A few of the lyrics have been altered: e.g. "tied me to this stage ..." "they don't let women kill you ..."

Well worth a look and listen.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

AlanM wrote:I must confess I am not a big Tom Jones fan
Me neither, generally. But he recorded a good blues / gospel album two years ago. And the song list for this new album sounds promising (Tower Of Song, Charlie Darwin, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Tom Waits, ... ).
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Tom Waits cover is simply awful.

This version not bad. He is trying to make the song his own, but let's hope too many people now know who Leonard Cohen is. Tom Waits is still fighting to prove that Downtown Train is his song...

Of course too funny to see the video clip has Tom Jones literally in empty space and stairs which resembles "tower of song".
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

This is a really good cover of Tower of Song. Toms's voice is great and the relatively sparse instrumental backing really lends itself well to this song. I liked it a lot and am interested to hear what he does with the other songs by various artists on this album.

Marsha
Last edited by friscogrl on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Surprisingly not bad (I am starting to see some merits in some covers of Leonard's songs!). But, come on, whoever uploaded this to YouTube, no mention of Leonard Cohen?!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I guess they will never mention him. The industry (or Jones' management) agenda is clear: to run off with Leonard's own wisdom and story about life in tower of song like it's Tom Jones's own. For god sake, they even shot the video in an empty tower of song. He is trying to appropriate (or even steal) the song that's apparent. With all that "oh I am old and experienced and lived-thru-it-all and wisdom looks into camera/us.

And look at that album title, Spirit in the Room! Songs from the Room, chosen as selection of greatest songwriters, with title which is locating the album in that same Leonard's room (which is in the tower of song)? ...

I am of course saying as well that this is the only really good Leonard Cohen cover I ever heard. It proves how good songwriter Leonard would be if he only wrote songs for others. I think, although, that Leonard is now too famous (at least outside US) so people would recognise this as "Leonard Cohen cover" in the first place.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

tomsakic wrote:The industry (or Jones' management) agenda is clear: to run off with Leonard's own wisdom and story about life in tower of song like it's Tom Jones's own. ... And look at that album title, Spirit in the Room! ... I think, although, that Leonard is now too famous (at least outside US) so people would recognise this as "Leonard Cohen cover" in the first place.
Based on the few comments on YouTube, many of them seem to think that this is a "new Tom Jones song," and if what you suggest is true, this illusion may have been deliberate. Shame, if that is the case. I have no problem with tributes to Leonard or to his work (such as covering his songs/using a similar album title), but please give credit where it is due!
TineDoes

Post by TineDoes »

Yes lets give credit where credit is due. I think that Tom Jones does this song justice, sings it honostly (even with the glint in his eye). I love the video because it is done in Leonard Cohen's 'spirit'; the window, the walls are bare, the step on the stair.
It reminds me of another Cohen Cover: Light as the Breeze by Billy Joel. Leonard was very positive about that. Maybe he will
be happy with this as well.
Anyway, Tom Jones gone a long way up in the Tower of Song from the Green Green Grass..... :D
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Oh, for sure, I agree that Tom Jones does a really great job with this song, he treats it with respect, and I am genuinely impressed (I've always kind of liked the guy). I wasn't "dissing" his performance, just the lack of YouTube recognition as to the fact that it is a cover of Leonard Cohen's song.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Absolutely GORGEOUS video and a fantastic rendition. Being a fan of TJ for decades, I simply have a hard time getting over the fact that when George and I met him, he is nowhere near the gentleman that is LC. Too bad, because he has a phenomenal voice.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
TineDoes

Post by TineDoes »

LisaLCFan wrote: I wasn't "dissing" his performance.
Lisa, I know :D
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
Kush

Post by Kush »

wow what a terrific version. I have heard Tom Jones off and on and have always liked whatever I've heard - stuff like Green Green Grass of Home, Delilah etc etc.
Tom Russell's cover of this song is still my favorite but that is just my personal bias - like every opinion I've ever had. I could get used to this version very very fast.
As for some of the comments re' "appropriating" etc. - I wouldnt quite put it that way. Sometimes artists tend to change a word or a line because it is more meaningful to them with the little changes while maintaining the structure of the original song. Guy Clark was Townes Van Zandt's lifelong friend and often TVZ's rock and refuge in real life yet he would make subtle changes while covering TVZ's songs. A legend like Tom Jones deserves better - I'll give him the benefit of doubt every time.
sirp2000

Post by sirp2000 »

He performed it live on Jools Holland last night. See the BBC iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_4/

Starts at 21:50

Did it well but seemed to forget the word "channels" and stumble out something like "problems"! Is that what he said?
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

If you're outside of the UK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnzSCo0mWs

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”