k.d's band member's Leonard Cohen moment

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
ScottM

k.d's band member's Leonard Cohen moment

Post by ScottM »

Originally posted this on a the Other Music thread but thought it deserved a wider audience.

On k.d. lang's website there are short interviews with her new band members, "The Siss Boom Bang", who recorded with her on "Sing It Loud".

One of them, Josh Grange, admits that his "Most Embarrassing Musical Moment was: Being drunk and out of tune playing with Adam Cohen in his hometown of Montreal while his father Leonard watched. It was my first time drinking scotch, and is probably why I am so fond of it."

A second member, Daniel Clarke, relates his "Most Embarrassing Musical Moment was one of my first gigs with k.d. when I played an Fm(sus)b9 chord in the middle of “Hallelujah.” For those of you who don’t know that chord, it looks the way it sounds! Ha!"

Looking forward to seeing k.d. live in London in June. The new stuff sounds great and we are sure, if she sings it, she will do great justice to "Hallelujah" as she always does.
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
sourire

Re: k.d's band member's Leonard Cohen moment

Post by sourire »

Speaking of k.d.lang....I am still recovering from being taken apart and moved to another place by her astounding, heartbreakingly beautiful rendition of Hallelujah at her London concert last night. Funny, because until then I'd never really connected to this one song amongst all my Leonard touchstones. It used to bother me in a vague kind of way, I could hear it was a masterpiece, but it felt kind of tired and I could take or leave it. Till last night. Anyone else have that angst?
Nefelly

Post by Nefelly »

I have always loved Hallelujah but at times felt it has been overworked and over-recorded by others.

However I totally agree that the current KD LANG version is simply phenominal. I saw her sing this at the BBC Radio 2 concert a couple of months back which was held in the beautiful 1920's tiny BBC theatre such a wonderfully intimate setting. KD said she was going to sing a Canadian song; quite an obscure one I think she described it as .......

It just blew me away. I dont think I have ever heard a more fantastic version .
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

I was in the London audience at the Royal Festival Hall. Glorious. On both nights, the audience rose after Hallelujah to applaud wildly. (I'm sure I saw tears in KD's eyes after the emotion she channelled in the song ...).
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

Outstanding concert at the Royal Festival Hall on Friday. kd was on top form. She played mainly songs from her brilliant new album “Play It Loud” with her band the Siss Boom Bang. Roy Orbison influence was very strong on a number of these songs, particularly the superb “I Confess”. A great version of the old Talking Heads number “Heaven”, kd standards such as “Miss Chatelaine“ and “Constant Craving“ were highlights. The stand out song of the night though was, of course, her version of “Hallelujah“ with many people around us visibly moved to tears. Her vocals were pitch-perfect for this (and every song) and she received a deserved standing ovation. She really seemed to love playing with a band again, for the first time in many years, and the friendship and togetherness of the group was evident. Brilliant night.
Fans of kd lang already know what a fantastic live performer she is. I would go again if she was still playing in the UK. If you get the chance to see her on this tour then don’t pass it up.
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Scott
We have tickets for an outdoor show in August at the beautiful Zoo concerts held here.
I haven't seen KD live for many years and am looking forward to it.
Les 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sebmelmoth2003

k.d lang - loose ends

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

she was on radio 4's `loose ends` - leonard mentioned in passing as one of many talented canadian musicans - the consensus was that long, cold winters had some part in their musical formation.

audio online until saturday evening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011p0fx

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”