Track: The Future
Released:
Source: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... x7gjir46ix

Artist: Warren Zevon
Bootleg recorded Jan 23, 1992 Charleston Music Farm, Charleston, WV
Track: First we take Manhattan
Source: http://www.corrupt.net/~scrub/boots/Zevon.html
http://members.aol.com/zevonfan1/private/DISC.HTM
http://members.aol.com/zevonfan1/private/zlinks.htm (also with a link to the old nebula-address!)
Paula

Postby Paula » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:29 pm

Warren Zevon died this week of lung cancer Jarkko
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:39 pm

I know, Paula. I guess that inspired Anne to make the search
and find this bootleg album.
Jarkko
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:53 pm

If I'm remembering him correctly, didn't he spend approximately the last year, maybe less, of his life creating a new album? A segment was done on NPR re: a musician who knew he was going to die within months, and he had a son, who maybe played with him? Am I thinking of Zevon? It was a very moving piece that they did. Maybe the album had to do with his own mortality? You would probably have the answers to these, Paula.
Bryce

Postby Bryce » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:18 pm

Zevon actually produced 2 albums in the last 18 months or so of his life; the final one, "The Wind", is at the same time very touching and poignant, but also quite hard edged in some songs - typical of most of his work. My wife is a bigger fan of his than I am (and I like his music very well), and bought his last few CDs just before we took a cross country trip earlier this month, so I've been a "captured audience" of his recent music for a couple of weeks. "Keep me in your heart" will make you cry, guaranteed.

He had two children, one of whom gave birth to twins a few months before he died; he set a number of goals to give him the will to live longer than he might have - seeing his grandchildren, completing the album, seeing the most recent James Bond movie, etc. I've never read or heard of him complaining or whining about the hand he'd been dealt, which was the same type lung cancer that is associated with asbestos exposure. The real irony is that he was in and out of detox throughout the 80s,but he'd really cleaned up his act in recent years. You just never know . . .

I have no trouble "hearing" him do Cohen's music - I'd loved to have heard him cover The Future or Closing Time - they both fit his persona well. But then, Night Comes On would have, too.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:01 pm

Yes, Bryce....thank you!

He's for sure the one I was thinking of. In the segment, they talked about those things, the goals and everything, plus had interview clips of him, as well as his son. It was a very moving segment. I also recall the point being made regarding his not complaining. That was also the name of at least one of the albums they were talking about, "The Wind." A pretty memorable name. The name Zevon is also very memorable! I think I even recall their talking about "Keep Me In Your Heart." I would love to hear it. Have you captured your wife in a cross-country trip with Leonard yet? "Fair's fair"...... :wink: :D [Or, don't you need her to be a captive audience for Leonard :) ?]

~ Lizzytysh
Bryce

Postby Bryce » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:46 am

No, I doubt my wife would be really interested in Cohen's music, although she'd probably like cover versions; I think she'd find him a little "rough" vocally (although I realize that doesn't make sense in light of her interest in Zevon). No accounting for taste, I realize; she likes some artists that I find abysmal. But, we've been together for 23 years, so we've learned to adapt to each other.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:22 pm

Hi Bryce ~

Sorry I missed this posting of yours. Well, 23 years speaks for itself, at least in the way you say it :D . However, your comments are in the form of conjecture, as though you've never even tried :shock: , and even as though she's never been exposed! Do you not listen to him in your home [where she would even inadvertently hear him]? Do you confine dear Leonard to the car, your office, your private room, outside with a walkman? Oh dear......she may actually love him, if she heard him! How about trying "Ten New Songs" with her?

~ Lizzytysh
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Postby Byron » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:49 pm

Pete in Matland. The Wind is a beautiful piece of music in its own right, but a delight to play along to. Knowledge is power and Zevon's self knowledge has lent an extreme amount of power to his performance.
If you do one thing this week, have a look at the links to hear him. Unless you are already familiar with the albums of course.
Byron 'sends his regards.'
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Bryce

Postby Bryce » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:09 pm

. . ."However, your comments are in the form of conjecture, as though you've never even tried , and even as though she's never been exposed! "

I'm not sure how to read that - what's to expose? I certainly enjoy his music and writing, but I don't view his work as a 3rd millenium gospel that must be preached to the masses, including to my wife. (And yes, I realize that some of you regard this view as blasphemy, but so be it - I like MANY artists, and although his place is secure in my pantheon, he shares the various pedestals with many others).

To answer your question specifically, I listen to most of my music in my car, and I'm alone much of the time, except for trips as I mentioned earlier. His music didn't really fit the mood we were in for most of our vacation. She may hear it at some time, but for now, it's sufficient enough for her to say, "No, thanks".
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:19 pm

I don't mean to suggest blashphemy :wink: , Bryce....it just struck me as odd that her hearing him would have not occurred to the extent that whether she would/wouldn't like him and why seemed all to be conjecture. I hope she'll say "Yes" at some point, as she has no idea what she's saying "No" to....please let us [or at least me] know what she thinks when she finally does listen to him. He's definitely great for singular car travel, isn't he? Who shares the other pedestals?

~ Lizzytysh
Bryce

Postby Bryce » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:52 pm

No, what I meant by the heresy comment was that I note the veneration many of the posters here use when speaking of Cohen's work. I was trying to make a play on words to the effect that I don't exactly worship him, nor do I expect others, too. OK, I think we've beaten that issue to death! :wink:

My pantheon? Here's a portion of it (from another post):

Richard Thompson
Peter Gabriel
Nick Drake
The Clash
Steeleye Span/Maddy Prior
The Specials
Johnny Cash
Pete Townsend (solo)
Leo Kottke
Robert Johnson
Lou Reed
Bob Dylan
Lucinda Williams
J.S. Bach
John Dowland
L.v Beethoven, esp. Piano Sonatas
Louis Armstrong
Nehemia James
The Kingston Trio
The Beatles
Stan Rogers
Blink 182
Lyle Lovett (sp?)
John Fahey
Leadbelly
Lonnie Johnson
Luis Milan
Heitor Villa-Llobos
Little Feat
Frank Zappa
Johannes Ockeghem
Igor Stravinsky . . . .

The list never ends.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:01 pm

Hi Bryce ~

Thanks for bringing your list here for me. I tend to pass over those lists, until I have something about the person to relate them to, information to merge them with. Know what I mean? Now, your list has much more significance to me.

I see now exactly what you meant on the other :wink: . Of course, there are many here who share your position with regard to pedestals and worship. I just don't happen to be one of them :wink: , so any comments I make are likely as not to come with shadings of that in them :D .

I like the variety in your musical tastes. I have similar ones, with regard to general listening. I love music.....period [a comment not as contradictory as it may appear at first glance :wink: ].

~ Lizzy
Bryce

Postby Bryce » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:55 pm

I"m pretty eclectic. My first post-secondary education life was studying classical guitar and renaissance lute, which accounts for some items on the list.

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”